Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 25mm Investigators/Cultists  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Dathbain

• Assistant
25mm Investigators/Cultists
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
Need some help! I've kind of painted myself into a corner with my minis, I have the RAFM miniatures for my Threshold team & my Lurker Monsters don't really have to be scale specific, but....now I need some cultists! The more generic the better, however I have not come across any 25mm cultists online. Is there a huge difference in size between 25mm & 28mm, so as they won't look funny on the same table?

Thanks, Dave
I fear my enthusiasm flags when real work is demanded of me.
H. P. Lovecraft

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 25mm Investigators/Cultists
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Should not be that big a deal between 25 and 28mm if the 25 mm have the usual thick metal bases which you can just simply mount on your plastic bases of chouice to raise the models to the same eye level as your 28mm stuff.

Offline Dathbain

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
Thanks Anatoli! My only real experience with 28mm is 40k, and there is a huge difference!

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
I agree with Anatoli.

I have cultists from many different ranges.
RAFM
Pulp Minis
Hasselfree
Artizan, Reaper, and some from the old Grenadier line.

As long as you use the same means to base them.  I always mount minis to a metal washer (I can't recall the diameter the size of a US quarter), even if they're made for slotted black plastic bases, or have a precast base.  If you do that, I've found you don't even notice size differences.  If you do, it is no more different that the one you have whenever you get a large group of people together.  Some are naturally a bit taller and shorter than each other.  

I have a few Reaper minis that are significantly taller than my Grenadier/Mirilton line but even side by side it doesn't look out of place.
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
Agree with both Anatoli and gauntman

I find the Pulp Figures cultists fit perfect for 25mm and Hasslefree are all true 25mm.  I've noticed that the Artisan and RAFM look a little bigger but side by side it's barely noticeable.

I use 1 inch washers (they are slightly bigger than the GW/25mm bases)

gauntman raises a good point about natural height variations too. I like a group, even a squad, to have some differences in height to vary the look a bit.  But, if you want models of varying scales/manufacturers to "match" height-wise, you could also consider propping up the smaller minis between the mini and the base with plasticard, shale, bits, putty or whatever you have handy.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:38 PM »
Gah. :?

I wouldn't want to go into this whole size/scale thing again, but to sum it up very briefly:

- "XX mm" doesn't mean a thing, or its meaning is highly subjective.
- Same for "true", although it approximately means "smaller than something".
- Same for "heroic", although it approximately means "larger than something".
- Height scale, extremities scale, equipment scale and general beefiness work in mysterious, almost unrelated ways.

That said, post-90s GW stuff is a bad reference for anything, because it's more like ultra mega super absurdly heroic 32mm. Especially their plastics have gone through a dozen steps of scale creep. They're "28mm" minis in rubber suits, wearing platform shoes and carrying half-tonne weapons. Nothing to do with real or typical tin anatomy.

Another serious offender is Reaper Chronoscope, where the scale is chaotic and on average well over anything that could be called 28mm by actual measurements. They can be used, but most of the minis must represent noticeably tall people.

Other than that, you can quite safely mix Grenadier, RAFM, Metal Magic, early Citadel, Artizan, Pulp and pretty much anything on the market. Weapon scales will vary slightly, but the overall look should be generally acceptable. And you can call that scale anything you ever want, because "XX mm" doesn't mean a thing.

For actually useful information, I recommend scale pics. I posted some here a few winters ago, and I can take new ones some day with many more companies - including a couple of different cultists.

Offline Dathbain

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:15 AM »
Yes Reaper has bit me in the butt, I purchased the Chronoscope Watson mini a while back and yeah he's about 8 feet tall :o. Looks really weird next to my other figs.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:13 AM »
Add Eurekas Cultists to the choice - they're fairly close in size to the RAFM figures I have.
"It's only a flesh wound...."