Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building A Better Stargate  (Read 12460 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Building A Better Stargate
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Very nice. Now all you need to do is replicate that jazzy water-effect for when the thing is switched on!

Should be fairly simple to locate an image online, scale it to the right size, print out twice, glue to cardboard on both sides and use as a removable insert for the gate.  :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Building A Better Stargate
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Very nice. Now all you need to do is replicate that jazzy water-effect for when the thing is switched on!

Only kidding. You don't have to do that. Would be cool, though.  :)

Actually, the old gate that looks rubbish that I'm still not posting pics of had that.

If I can find the stuff I used again I'll add it to the Active Stargate I'm planning to build another day.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
Re: Building A Better Stargate
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
So, been looking at making a Stargate. I would like to get in to a game (might be the only way to get my Girlfriend in to miniature gaming)

When looking for the resin kits and other minitures models, the price tag was a little high. I don't mind the cardstock modelS, but they tend to wear out over time when you mix with miniature figures.

For about $30, you can ge the set of 4 coasters. They are 11.6cm accross. I have access to some of the Hurst Arts molds and was thinking of making stands for them from that. This would let me build 4 different gates for a reasonable price. Drawback would be that they would show as "permanently on".
For the DHD, you can use Cold War Games piece for about $10?
http://www.cold-war.co.uk/

Has anyone else tried this and how is the scale on them?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:39:50 PM by Puuka »
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Nice work.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 05:57:15 AM »
This is my one.
IMGP0420 (Medium)
It was originally a display base for a Halcyon models Movie Anubis 12" figure kit.

That's a 40k landspeeder for scale (flight stand shopped out).
Interior diameter 6".
Exterior a little over 8".

My games club has a stack of 'desert terrain' (including a HirstArts pyramid) so I added this purely as a geek thing.  At our last tournament, that table had 4 players clamouring to play on it - purely because it had a stargate on it.
This was the start of the project.  It has a proper platform in front now, as well as a ramp - which clears the event horizon just.  I've got to get a more up to date shot.

Speaking of which.  That is a sheet of blue transparent ripple plastic sheet used for bodies of water in model railway terrain.  I've been given a string of bright blue LEDs (xmas tree lights) which will go behind the event horizon - and I have to build the circuit for the red LEDs that will go into the chevrons and cycle up (it will light them all in sequence, the topmost one last).

I'm also working on a puddle jumper from some PVC pipe offcuts (Engines were donated from a club bits pile - Tau engines).

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »
Nicely done.

You could get some water effect and pour in into a mould the diametre of the gate, you'll get that ripple effect if you start from the centre, and pour concentric rings, let them set etc... colour it with inks and that would look nice. That way it would be a snug fit and be able to be removed.

Also lets have some glyphs!

;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
Oh, that gate piece does have them.  That's an old pic.  It was given a wash with some of GW's black wash to bring out the glyphs.

It's fairly well detailed for what it was.

Water effect would not give me the effect I wanted without significant work in texturing the media.  I've used it before to do waves for a diorama, and it was too tedious for words.  I'm a wargamer, not an OCD model railroader.

The blue ripple plastic was a nice compromise.  Looks like an active gate, and is semi-transparent, allowing me to put lighting elements behind the plastic sheet and have them work.   

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Very cool but perhaps more important you need to make stats for the furry overseer!

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 05:36:45 AM »
Furry overseer?

What furry overseer?

We don't need no steenking badgers!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Oh, that gate piece does have them.  That's an old pic.  It was given a wash with some of GW's black wash to bring out the glyphs.

It's fairly well detailed for what it was.

Water effect would not give me the effect I wanted without significant work in texturing the media.  I've used it before to do waves for a diorama, and it was too tedious for words.  I'm a wargamer, not an OCD model railroader.

The blue ripple plastic was a nice compromise.  Looks like an active gate, and is semi-transparent, allowing me to put lighting elements behind the plastic sheet and have them work.   

Thought you said your weren't an OCD model railroader with lighting elements and such forth? ;)

Good luck with it post up when complete.

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 12:41:08 AM »
Lighting elements are not model railroader ocd.

I've been lighting up model kits since I was 12 and got my first soldering iron (and started reading SF modeller).  I was an electronics geek before a gamer (electronics engineering certified but a long time has passed between then and now) and have never been a railroader (and I don't have OCD - my workbench would be a lot neater if I did). :D

It's a simple matter of drawing up the circuit, making up the board, assembling it and then adding the switches.  Just have to remember where I put my old textbooks.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
Ooooh, found some nice inexpensive water effect.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/A4-River-Self-Adhesive-Water-Effect-Sheet-Deep-Blue-/300532327413?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item45f91f63f5

Put it back to back, cut your circle, and you have a ripply transparent event horizon.

They also have some cheap O scale people that make great generic people tokens (or zombie victims)

Offline chromedog

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
Not unlike what I used for mine, really.

Have the circuit done.  Now to install it seven visible chevron lights (RED LED) will go in sequence, and then some blue LEDs will flash in the event horizon.  If I fog the blues properly, they will scatter enough light back that the event horizon should glow.