Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This must be the place!  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: This must be the place!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:24 AM »
No prob.  Just haven't had time to answer with a rational, full explanation.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »
Hey, Parriah and Conquistador. Here´s a link where you can change your avatar pictures so that you don´t have to share that Pulp pilot.

This is a link where you can make your own avatars:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Choose a photo from your computer. Set Avatar size 80 for LAF. Press Rezise button. Download the re-scaled picture and upload it in the Profile - Profile information page.

All the best!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:59:01 AM by General Roos »
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »
I acknowledge his good taste in Avatars.   :-*   lol   8)

I see no reason for either of us to have to change.   :-[

There is no copyright infringement going on here.   ;)
 :)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
In advance, my apologies for going waaaay off topic.  This will be the last I have to say on this subject on this thread and probably ever again on this forum.

Without getting too much into LDS mythology/history (or even theology,) the LDS (Latter day Saints, aka Mormons to others) church suffered a schism after the death of it's founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., in Carthage, Illinois, and a group was led by Brigham Young to "Zion" by what Brigham Young claimed was God's guidance.

If you ever have been to Utah's wilderness and traveled the route from Illinois to Utah then you can imagine the various inflections possible when Brigham Young announced that what would become Salt Lake City was Zion with his words, "This is the place."

From an on-line timeline:

Jul 21, 1847 - According to Mormon legend, advance scouts reached the Great Basin on July 21, 1847. Three days later, the main body of Saints came to the valley, at which point Brigham Young said: "It is enough. This is the place." The long Mormon hegira was over. On the shores of the Great Salt Lake, separated by distance and desert from their persecutors, the Saints began to build a new civilization. They called their state, "Deseret." At its heart was the Mormon Church ...

Every LDS and non-LDS comedian probably has been able to put varying degrees of emotion than the officially sanctioned one into that statement.  My favorite (shock, incredulity, and a touch of horror in the voice) is "This is the place?"

Yes, I am ex-LDS (Christian before, during, and after my time in the LDS faith.)  Please view my comments within the bias that implies.  I respect many LDS members (even those of my extended family) but I have little use for the hierarchy/faith as it exists.

Gracias,

Glenn

For a different view of the LDS church - having absolutely nothing to do with our miniatures or war games so you have been warned - see http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon33.html

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
THANX man, I knew of the Trek, and the problems they had later when westward settlement brought them into conflict with the US govt. The hyperbole around the "Massacre" and all. I especially enjoyed the way the Saints referred to the Militias as "The Americans" They REALLY wanted to be a separate nation. Sometimes (most times actually) when someone just wants to be left alone, nobody will just do that!
But Thanx for the explanation, I really didn't mean to offend, if I did. :)
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
No offense, I have had harsher discussions with my LDS cousin and she still loves me.   :o   lol   :-*

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
I don't think we need different avatars either!  :D :D ;D