Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Converting Existing WW1 Brigade Games Figures  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Converting Existing WW1 Brigade Games Figures
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:13:21 AM »
Hi Folks,

As some of you aware I've undertaken to do my own painting and on top of that my own converting of figures. This has certianly given me a boost of confidence and I'll have my first painted project up on another heading.

As you maybe aware the WW1 range from Brigade Games designed by Mike Owen is quite lovely and its been quite a favourite of mine in getting to game all those Sideshows that existed in the Great War.

My only issue was the lack of variety for the German officers and ncos in some of the range so I decided to do some converting of my own and just using my spare figures and some inspirational music from the Red Army Choir Band. Below are my results from these conversions. Nine of the figures are for South-West Africa and East Africa and any other place you may find these lovely chaps and the last is a chap in cloak, cork helmet and holding a mauser. You may notice on the last figure he is originally the Asien Korps officer. I gave him a new head and did some work on his right hand to give him a mauser.
This chap will be my Austrian Adviser to the Turks. I'd appreciate any feedback good and bad for my first effort. Thanks guys. :)

[/img]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:47:46 AM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Coverting Existing WW1 Brigade Games Figures
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »
Quote from: "Helen Bachaus"
My only issue was the lack of variety for the German officers and ncos in some of the range

wow, Helen, that's a great idea and you've done a very nice conversion job on them. I also thought of it for my German East Africa WW1 force. Thanks for the inspiration and your conversion ideas, I'll probably steal some of them :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Coverting Existing WW1 Brigade Games Figures
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Quote from: "Helen Bachaus"
My only issue was the lack of variety for the German officers and ncos in some of the range

wow, Helen, that's a great idea and you've done a very nice conversion job on them. I also thought of it for my German East Africa WW1 force. Thanks for the inspiration and your conversion ideas, I'll probably steal some of them :)

Thanks Prof :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »
Excellent work. Wouldnīt have taken them for conversions if you hadnīt told us, Helen. Iīm looking forward to seeing them painted - but donīt do them too well, pleeease, I CANNOT use ANOTHER "must-start because xyzīs minis where so cool" project... ;) :lol:

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Excellent work. Wouldnīt have taken them for conversions if you hadnīt told us, Helen. Iīm looking forward to seeing them painted - but donīt do them too well, pleeease, I CANNOT use ANOTHER "must-start because xyzīs minis where so cool" project... ;) :lol:

Hi Chris, Thankyou for your lovely comments. They will get painted sometime in the future - not sure when! :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:54:03 AM »
Continuing on with more additions from using existing Brigade Games figures.

I've always wanted German sailors in cork helmet so I've done it with a few head swaps from spare Germans in cork helmet. There will be in addition to what is shown approx 4 more riflemen and a MG crew.

The Arabs that Mike Owen designed are lovely figures, but when you get two arabs with pistols in the pack you wish that there were more riflemen and poses so I decided to give an arab a sword (made him leader) and two others rifles. The rifles came from the Aussie LH troopers. Okay I might be silly wasting the figures, but I've other plans for them so I try not to waste a figure if I can. The scabbard is from the Aussie LH and filed down and slightly bent to give the tulwar look.

There is not enough German Officer/NCOs with slouch hat so again I've gone to town and hacked into more spare figures. Importantly, If I want to look at German South-West Africa I need a MG crew. I found using the spare von Lettow Vorbeck heads they fit perfectly with the size of the German in cork helmet MG crew.

I now intend to fill in the gaps and create the necks where needed using 'Shelleys Multipurpose Knead it'.

I've also decided not to have plastic bases for my troops so have been converting over the other 100 or so figures on the work bench. Its a slow task as I superglued them :cry:

I'll have these shown painted within a month - God Willing!

Thanks 8)

[/img]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:48:46 AM by Helen Bachaus »