Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 780
Total: 787

Recent

Author Topic: Orbital Docks build (pic heavy)  (Read 12423 times)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
Re: Orbital Docks build (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
Yay!...  Another Braz vast wip build.
--- I concur. Going to enjoy following this! Thanks for inspiring, Braz!!

Where in the h#ll do you store all this stuff you make?!?!?!
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »
First, thanks all.

@Parriah: Star Frontiers/Knight Hawks....warm fuzzy memories...ahhhh.
@Wirelizard: Pizza box terrain? Awesome...going to steal that for a future project.

@Anevilgiraffe: That was a question for me too but a things swung it in the direction of printed. Cost: fairly cheap, including the printing which is the biggest cost (11 pages for the docks because of the height, much less for other pieces), $5 for the hardboard for all the tiles so far, textures were free, foamboard about $2 and I still have lots to use versus cost of molds and casting supplies. Weight is much less than cast pieces. Details are awesome on cast pieces but I can't modify easily as I can with printed. You can get a lot of detail and color with printed that would take lots of time painting and building from scratch. The detail won't look too flat as is the case with many card models as for all my card builds I build up the details to 2.5D standard by adding raised or recessed details and that goes a long way in making the model pop: control boxes/screens/signs are printed and mounted on cereal card, painted bamboo skewer pipes are added, etc. Time: the initial photoshopping is what currently takes lots of time but that's because I modify a lot to suit my vision of the project or do it from scratch and it only has to be done once. But after that it's really quick to print out, cut and assemble, not counting the time for the glue to dry properly. Durability: very when mounted on illustration board or foamcore...hey I have two young kids playing with my stuff.

@Bazo: I'm still piddling at various projects but at reduced rate...new job that hasn't quite ramped up to speed yet (Arrgh! RL!). Plus lots of waiting for nicer weather to spray paint outside. I'll be posting some other stuff soon.

@warrenss2: I have an interdimensional warehouse to store it all. Actually it is getting to be a bit of an issue; not so bad when it's packed away but when I'm working on multiple items at the same...ouch.

@KermittheFrog: The card texture on the base is stuff I photoshopped/GIMPed. The original grated tile image I got from the Interweb, then I changed it a lot, set it to tile pattern and that was the basic texture for the floor. I then modified it based on the floor plan I designed, adding the hazard stripes using some careful measurements. 3 different sheets to cover the dock area.

Cheers all

More to come soon.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »

@Wirelizard: Pizza box terrain? Awesome...going to steal that for a future project.

Be my guest! Like I said in the pizza box page, I snagged the idea from someone who'd built a tavern for swashbuckling brawls in a pizza box, so always happy to pass the ideas on.

Another resurrection from my old site to the new is a batch of high-DPI science fiction signs. They were made in a very old version of Photoshop (6, I think), so I hope the PSD files still work in modern versions of Photoshop, but I no longer have routine access to a Windows machine with Photoshop installed. (They open in GIMP just fine, far as I know)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
Be my guest! Like I said in the pizza box page, I snagged the idea from someone who'd built a tavern for swashbuckling brawls in a pizza box, so always happy to pass the ideas on.

Wasn't that Buck and Chris in their "Blood and Swash" rules? If not they did something similar I'm sure.

Another resurrection from my old site to the new is a batch of high-DPI science fiction signs. They were made in a very old version of Photoshop (6, I think), so I hope the PSD files still work in modern versions of Photoshop, but I no longer have routine access to a Windows machine with Photoshop installed. (They open in GIMP just fine, far as I know)

Just opened them in Firefox- no problem. Should be very useful. Thanks!   :D

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Right'o. Do be wary though, working on multiple projects at once doesn't fare well for me and getting this obscure thing known as 'results'. :D
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
Well Braz,
.... :D  ;) ;)
Have I got a thing or two to tell you!
SF is alive and well,  (much more so then Rosecrans and Gildenstern any way)
Star Frontiers. org is my home site, but I go to the .us site alot too
The StarFrontiersman is bursting out at the seams and growing all the time.
Come on in! The water's just fine over there, only a few jaw fish here and there, we finally got rid of all the sand sharks tho...

Hey(looks over shoulder)
What's tha...
Heeeey
eey
ey
y
Well, we thought we did any way. ::)
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
Thanks Wirelizard for the signage...opens in GIMP and Irfanview just fine.

Bako, no problem there (I hope) as I'm generally work on blocks of pieces that can be used by themselves and I have no current deadline, just work on it when I feel like it, add to it when I can.

Parriah, thanks for the pointers to the sites...lots of reading now...those pesky sandsharks.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
Yes, thanks for the link Parriah. Not had much time to look, but there seems to be loads of great stuff there  :D

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
Some more WIP photos.

Still haven't settled on a door design yet. Still GIMPing stuff. Still working on the details for the main dock.  You know, the usual.

Here are some of the textures I've worked on, heavily GIMPed from Mel Ebbles Core Module, some from scratch.

Some of the corridor tiles in progress with floor textures applied to the hardboard bases. The glue was left to dry completely (overnight) while weighted down. Here you can see the two of the three styles of corridor: the 5 inch cargo corridor, utilitarian, dirtyish texture, and the three inch (2.5inch once the walls are added) standard corridor, clean, light in colour, streamlined.

Here is the WIP shots of the first add-on module: Cargo Handling Bay. Features a cargo elevator...texture to be figured out, and there will be a cargo loader or two.
The various pieces pre-assembly:

Assembled:

Oops: measured wrong and the walls don't quite match up in the corner. DOH! Glued anyway and will cover up with some piping later.

Some beauty shots adjacent to the dock:

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:01:50 PM by Braz »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
This is great!  And probably easier for me to imitate than your Hadley's Hope project  :D though no less inspirational.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Masterful!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »
That girl's a spacious one, no? Pretty great stuff, and plenty of room for some heavy armour to boot.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
Thanks all,
@Bako, she's spacious for that reason but you haven't seen the service corridor warrens yet. They'll be just wide enough for a single figure so the rules will either be no power armor allowed or PA is 1/2move/1 action to turn around. Plus maybe vent shafts

@Hupp n at em: Partially, that's why it's designed that way..quick and easy assembly. Copy away.

Still in progress: Standard corridors and what will be part of the entertainment area with shops,restaurants and bars. The  room at top right is destined to become a small restaurant.Still lots of detailing to do.

Some eye level shots:

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:08:31 PM by Braz »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Eye level shots look great
 8)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 07:23:58 PM »
Liking that alot, lots of uses as you say.

:-*
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.