Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where had I seen it?  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
Where had I seen it?
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
I was having discussion with several gamers the other day about the scales of miniatures. How they heroic look of the model has become a staple and that the few and far between "true scale" models look less then ideal. This lead to the discussion of just how much bigger percent-wise are the arms, head etc on the body or weapons. I thought I recalled reading an article/blog etc on the subject. In short if I were looking at a life sized version of these models how much bigger in ratio/percent would these exaggerations be? Any useful links are welcome and may even keep this ninja away from hiding in your rooms whilst you sleep!   
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
Re: Where had I seen it?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »
I recalled reading this blog from Knuckleduster where he wrote about bulking out the handguns on his miniatures due to a true scale would be way to small.

Here, down the page a bit.
http://knuckleduster40mm.blogspot.com/2009/03/sculpting-pistols.html

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
I recalled reading this blog from Knuckleduster where he wrote about bulking out the handguns on his miniatures due to a true scale would be way to small.

Here, down the page a bit.
http://knuckleduster40mm.blogspot.com/2009/03/sculpting-pistols.html

Awesome! This is the type of stuff I am looking for; does anybody else care to throw their hats into the ring on the subject? From what I have seen there are several people who fight against the heroic scale creep. I am looking for opinion on this as well. How much bigger is that gun, sword, heard, etc?

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »
I was having discussion with several gamers the other day about the scales of miniatures. How they heroic look of the model has become a staple and that the few and far between "true scale" models look less then ideal. This lead to the discussion of just how much bigger percent-wise are the arms, head etc on the body or weapons. I thought I recalled reading an article/blog etc on the subject. In short if I were looking at a life sized version of these models how much bigger in ratio/percent would these exaggerations be? Any useful links are welcome and may even keep this ninja away from hiding in your rooms whilst you sleep!   

Tom Meier at Thunderbolt Mtn takes a particular interest in this. Check out his blog there.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
Awesome! This is the type of stuff I am looking for; does anybody else care to throw their hats into the ring on the subject?

For any of my modern needs I will buy realistically scaled weapons for my figures wherever I can.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
Tom Meier at Thunderbolt Mtn takes a particular interest in this. Check out his blog there.

Do you have a link for that?

Great input so far, I am suprised more people don't have any thoughts on this!

Offline Moribund

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
So that was a most excellent link, several of the creatures mentioned on his site I have done battle with before!

So do people like the heroic scales or true scale of models better, from a painting or just plain looks perspective.