Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690861
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Trek Fleet battle using the Firestorm Armada rules  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Wolfslord

• Librarian
Star Trek Fleet battle using the Firestorm Armada rules
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
Hi,

I posted a short battlereport on my blog about our first Star Trek fleet battle:

http://wwpd-wargaming-blog.blogspot.com/2011/02/star-trek-fleet-battle-using-firestorm.html

Have fun.

Teasers:

My (work in progress) Wargaming Blog:
http://wwpd-wargaming-blog.blogspot.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Star Trek Fleet battle using the Firestorm Armada rules
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Are these recommended?  I have a huge collection of Micromachines waiting for some rules.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »
Scary coincidence - I've just finished painting a Klingon flotilla, and their bases are essentially the same as these.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
Nice report and some nice fleets you have there.

I'm hoping the Whizkids ST stuff will be in scale within the range, then I just need a good set of rules so I will look up Firestorm!

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Sweet!!!

Awesome table and ships! I just love eye candy!!!

Tell us more about the Firestorm Armada rules... Does it play fast? Easy game? How long did it take to play your game?
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
I orderd the rules last week and should have them in a day or two and the reason for buying them was to use startrek for the battles.

The rules seem stop on, no million hot point stuff..!!

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
The rules seem stop on, no million hot point stuff..!!
Think a 10 year old can handle them?

Might have to stick with what we're playing. We like it. But those miniatures look d@mn fine.

Offline Wolfslord

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
Are these recommended?  I have a huge collection of Micromachines waiting for some rules.

Most Micromachines are size-wise between a Firestorm cruiser and frigate, so they fit quite well, but I think some bigger ships from other companies are worth a buy (for battleships e.g.). The klingon ones are even quite detailed, so I can recommend them. It's a shame that the Micromachines on ebay are pricier than the big japanese toy ships I also use.

I'm hoping the Whizkids ST stuff will be in scale within the range, then I just need a good set of rules so I will look up Firestorm!

I read about the Wizkids stuff some weeks after I invested all that money in the Klingons  ;) I also hope that the ships are as large as the Star Wars ones and are scaled consistently. Then I can finally use a Negh'Var  :D

Tell us more about the Firestorm Armada rules... Does it play fast? Easy game? How long did it take to play your game?

They are, as said, action oriented, so one shouldn't expect a spaceship simulation. In turn 2-4 normally both fleets meet (in optimum firing range) and the game becomes pretty intense and bloody, in turn 5 both fleets are reduced to some crippled ships trying to survive. This most of the time makes a fun game.

There are some fleets that are bad matchups, that make a less interesting game, but those are few.

I would say it is easy to learn and doesn't get boring, even just playing simple "kill the other fleet" scenarios. A game takes about 2,5h and more depending on the experience of the Fleet Admirals.

I think a 10 year old could handle the rules quite well, although there is always some math involved calculating the Attack Dice (it's even educational ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:41:39 PM by Wolfslord »