Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690338
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Prototype Lunar Alien  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Prototype Lunar Alien
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:35:07 AM »
Toying around with ideas while taking a break from painting my VSF officers I hit upon an idea and put hot glue gun to work shaping my new alien prototype for Lunar adventures in VSF. Everyone is in a rush to get to Mars and Venus, possibly even Ganymede.... yet the moon is right on the way.

Will be adding other, um... arms and such to hold, er.... things that do unpleasant things to alien interlopers on the surface of the moon!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Re: Prototype Lunar Alien
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »
Neat.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »
Thealien is the one in the middle right? lol
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »
that's really interesting! it is a cute technique... maybe you should use some transparent plastic rods for the skeleton. they will became unvisible in the glue!

i know that tentacles haven't a skeleton, but a heat-bended plastic rod could help to give the desired shape!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:15:44 AM »
Very Alien :-*
Cool idea.
I need to invest in a glue gun one day.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
Very Alien :-*
Cool idea.
I need to invest in a glue gun one day.

You do all that stuff without one  :o

lol lol

They well worth having. As the old ad used to say "thousands of household uses"

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »
I must say, I was expecting an insectoid Selenite, suggestions of which I'd not mind seeing a separate thread, but that is darned impressive indeed. Tentacles I tend to associate with Martians, but I am old and set in my ways.

Of course, now you must guard against leaving it in a dark box in the back seat of the car. ;->=

Doug

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
This reminds me of a quick project I did for last year's Halloween.  Did a quick Cthulhu adventure, but had no monsters, so I whipped one up from hotglue, beads, paperclips and polystyrene balls.  Then a quick (and not brilliant) paint job, and it was ready for the table.  All in a couple of hours.

Here are my 'Glue-thulhu' creatures:

The Mi-Go is very much a WIP. I plan to return to it one day, when I've done a million other projects!.

The Shoggoth was heavily inspired by the amazing Tengu one (which I must buy at some point!), but mine is obviously nowhere near as good  lol  You can see some of the polystyrene ball and one of the beads in the pic of the underside (bottom left).

I found making tentacles easiest by using a paperclip as an armature, bend it to roughly the disired shape.  Next, put a few strips of hot glue along it, then roll it in your fingers while it is warm (but not hot)... then you can bend the clip any direction you like to get the desired pose.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:20:35 PM by Supercollider »

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
Love it, made how?

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
Basically make a basic shape from polystyrene balls, beads, round pinheads, etc.  Then drip hot glue over it, section by section, rotate to get it to drip in ways you like. Then as the glue is cooling add additional balls and beads to create eyes, mouths, bumps, etc, , I pushed them into the cooling glue quite carefully.  After that super-glue other details to the cooled mass, if you want to (Sprinkles of tiny beads, beads with holes in to make mouths, pinheads for bulging eyes, etc, etc).

The tentacles are made in the manner I mentioned above.  Get a paperclip, run thin strands of hot glue along it a few times, then when sufficiently cooled (but not completely set), roll it in your fingers to smooth out the strips as much as you'd like.  Then stick them to the main creature (I made holes to stick them in). You can also use hot glue to 'extrude' smaller tentacles that have no armature inside - touch a blob of glue to a surface, then stretch away with the tip of the glue gun, then let it cool in the shape you like.

So, no real technique, other than judging the amount of hot glue to splurge, and how long to wait for it to cool before you stick stuff into it.  Anyway, I found it fun to make and the results are pretty durable  ;)