Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695396
  • Total Topics: 118684
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grenadier Hirelings Set  (Read 10339 times)

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
Grenadier Hirelings Set
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
I've always wanted to get thee guys again and found a new shrink-wrapped box on ebay. I've been planning a new dungeon crawl supplement to ShadowSea and needed some inspiration anyhow. One thing I noticed is that the figures were very clean and only one had a touch of darkening from impending lead rot, and the faces were nice and unsmashed. They were primed with the triad of black, desert yellow and white, with the light colors sprayed from higher angles. I described this in a previous thread but did not show photos. Here are the shots of how they look after priming. One thing to note is that the yellow produces a subtle midtone but is blended in with the the white. The black becomes gray in most recesses, except under steep overhangs.

The idea was not to make the figures yellow but to give a bit of warmth to the midtone. One could just use black and then white but the result is more of a cool gray in the midtone. It works well for cool colors though, but I plan on using more browns, warm greens, reds and yellows.

Once these dry, they will be glued to plastic bases to paint, then add the base sand and rocks. My 5 year old daughter thinks these are cool (not sure why) and wants to paint them with me. We'll work on washes and glazes mostly, since blending will be a bit much for her. She also wants to "get the treasure with the guys with the chests" in the game that I'm making, so I'll see if I can post a few shots with the figures eventually on some floor tiles.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:23:47 AM by antimatter »
antimatter-games.com

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: Grenadier Hirelings Set
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
Thanks for posting those.  I have a deep seeded nostalgia for those early Grenadier sets.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
That brings back memories, both the minis & painting with my five year old...that was a long time ago. Have FUN with the painting & TREASURE the companionship.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
Oooh that's a nice find. Did you have any problems with the mould lines on that set? I've seen a few of the olderd Grenadier sets that needed quiet some attention before being primed.

Anyhow, will be following your work on this nice set  ;D
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
The gang is extremely cool. Are they 28 or 25mm?

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
They are 25mm, but chunky, so they fit pretty well with 28mm figures. Partha were more true 25mm scale than these. The mold lines are fairly good also in this set. Nice models actually.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Very cool set! A bit over-sized, that torch. =)

I would love to see a step by step close up of how a model of yours look in the different stages of priming.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
I have the drinking one!

I bought him YEEEEEARS ago at a car boot with loads of old Citadel pre-slottas in an old ash tray. I always assumed he was citadel...

Now I want these old boxed sets! Git!  ;D

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
Mirliton has a few Grenadier boxed sets, mostly goblins though. The packaging is retro snazzy though. =)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
What a nice set of minis!  :P

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:21:27 AM »
Hi antimatter, these guys are going to look amazing, can`t wait till you finish them. Such old school goodness, takes me back to the early 80's.

If anyone is looking for a modern version of the guys carrying the chest Reaper has some, I think they look really good.

Thanks for all the strolls down memory lane
Damien

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »
The first base coats are on now, mostly thin layers of different shades of brown, khaki, olive, sienna and such. The idea is to keep the paint light so the shading from the zenith priming shows through. My assistant Kylie did a great job on the skin and some of the bronze on the chests. The next step is glazes and washes of inks and transparent paints.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:45 AM »
Thank you for giving us a step by step, I am really interested in how you get the amazing effect that you do. I know that I am reading this thread with a lot of interest.

Thanks again
Damien

Offline antimatter

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
Okay, here they are after a glazes and washes. This is probably the ugliest stage, before any highlights and final glazes. There is no special trick here, other than mixing Liquitex matte medium in with the inks and washes. The skin is GW ogryn flesh wash. Greenish clothing gets black+olive, while the browns get various umber and sienna mixes. I try to vary the colors of the washes as much as possible on the different sections.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
Still flipping nice, and making very, VERY good progress. I've struggled for weeks to paint five measly figs for the first round of the LPL. =(