Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Salute 2011  (Read 21075 times)

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
Re: Salute 2011
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »
Great show... Apart from the queue to get in: horribly mismanaged - yet again!  >:(

Definatly agree with that I was Quing with this chap in the advanced line and the other que was going in way before we were not a happy bunny >:(

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
I'm always impressed by how much variety the Perry's fit into their plastic kits.

Offline ubertek

• Schoolboy
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »
Great show... Apart from the queue to get in: horribly mismanaged - yet again!  >:(

How do you think it was mismanaged?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
How do you think it was mismanaged?

I got there at 9.40, clutching my advance ticket – and was sent to the back of a ridiculously long queue stretching in a huge loop around one end of Excel. Where I waited (occasionally inching forwards) for over 45 minutes. It was gone 10.25 when I finally got into the hall.

Meanwhile, cash ticket buyers rocking up at 10am, were queuing for two or three minutes and then walking straight in. The 'cash only' queue had disappeared almost 10 minutes before I finally made it into the halls.

I'm sure this wasn't how it was planned, but seriously, you can't sell people an advance ticket on the implicit – if not quite explicit – premise of easier, earlier entry… and then leave those people queueing for 45 minutes whilst people paying 'on the door' just breeze in past them. It's simply wrong.

To make it worse, there were also people pushing in all over the place. Every time the queue was rearranged or gaps created to let other Excel users pass through the mass of wargamers, new people arrived and simply joined the end of the nearest segment of the queue they liked the look of. There weren't enough stewards to make sure people didn't push in, even where this was blatant.

Please let me be at pains to say that of course this doesn't take away from the overall excellence of the event and the massive amount of work that goes into it. And we all know the Warlords do it all for love, and our enjoyment, which makes it very churlish to moan... But - finding oneself in a huge queue and disadvantaged as a reward for having bought an advance ticket is not calculated to get the day off to a good start.

Last year there was something else that fouled up the entrance arrangements - fire marshals being jobsworths we were told. It seems that every year, getting people in becomes more problematic. Now I remember all too well the queues back at Kensington Town Hall - which is why 'queue buster' badges were first introduced. But the first couple of years at Excel seemed fine. Now it's a problem every year.

I'm guessing that so many 'cash entrants' having been caught in similar queues last year, switched to advance tickets this year - with predictable results.

The difference being, of course, that cash tickets buyers can hardly complain about having to wait. Advance ticket buyers having to wait while cash buyers sail in ahead of them is untenable. It suggests the whole thing needs a serious rethink before the next Salute. I'm sure the Warlords will take this on board.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »
At least you don't have to load an unload which this year, to be fair, wasn't as bad as last but I think total time for doing both was about two hours (last year being three  ::) )

Perry AWI eh?

Buggers  ;D lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
At least you don't have to load an unload which this year, to be fair, wasn't as bad as last but I think total time for doing both was about two hours (last year being three  ::) )

Perry AWI eh?

Buggers  ;D lol

cheers

James

They were just waiting for you to buy everything in lead  ::)

Samurai to follow no doubt  lol

Offline ubertek

• Schoolboy
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Captain Blood.

I'll pass on your comments to the committee to look at for next year.  We are always looking to improve.

I hope this did not put too much of a dampener on the show for you.

All the best,

Lawrence

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
Not at all, Lawrence. Thanks for your forbearance. I do appreciate that being an organiser is a pretty thankless task. I thoroughly enjoyed Salute. It was one of the best for years I thought.

Unfortunately, I must confess to a fairly major sense of humour failure having to queue for 45 minutes. But I got over it.

I mention it only because I'm sure there's a way of addressing it. A nice smooth opening to the show would get an otherwise excellent day off to a flying start rather than a bumpy one...  :)

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
I noticed it too, was bit more in front in the que, I just look at my advance ticket as a sure way for the LE model, especcially when it is one I really want like this year.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
Samurai to follow no doubt  lol

I certainly bloody hope not, I've got enough of the metal ones as it is (although, having seven entire clans does sound very appealing  :D )

Got your stuff by the way, I'll be at the club tomorrow  :)

cheers

James

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Great show but some bastard rooked me out of the free figure, my bag was empty..........and I didn't bother to check 'till I was on the train home  :'(

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Great show but some bastard rooked me out of the free figure, my bag was empty..........and I didn't bother to check 'till I was on the train home  :'(

PM'ed :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
Got your stuff by the way, I'll be at the club tomorrow  :)

cheers

James

Likewise - I'll bring the odd bits and pieces with me.

Looking forward to catching up over a smallie beer...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
Small being the word (still in the doghouse for staying out late a couple of weeks ago  ::) lol )

cheers

James

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
I'd just like to add, from the perspective of someone that set up and ran a game this weekend, we couldn't have had a more helpful reception from the Warlords.

Thanks guys, will see you again next year.

8)

AKULA (GD22 - Frothers Battlefield Game)