Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Schutztruppe Askari fella needs your expert opinion (WIP)  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Schutztruppe Askari fella needs your expert opinion (WIP)
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »
Last night, while waiting for some Saxons to dry, I grab one of my newly bought Schutztruppe Askari miniatures that I bought at the Tactica. I tried to paint him as quickly as possible and managed to finish him in about 1,5 hours (light speed in my book). Now, this is the first time I am doing light coloured Khaki and I was wondering what you experts think of it. Is it too light? Too dark? Or within the expected parameters? I am thinking that maybe it's a bit too yellow. I used Vallejo Green Ochre and highlighted it with Vallejo Beige. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Updated the picture
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:11:28 PM by Remington »

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Schutztruppe Askari fella needs your expert opinion (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
A little too yellow for my taste if I am honest but he has come out well and I think will look different again when based. I also think that when he has some buddies to stand along side they will look very nice this colour en masse.

"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Yeah I would say he's a little too yellow. Thats a top notch paint job tho especially for only 1,5 hours work!! Wish I could knock out a figure at that speed :(

Is that a copplestone sculpt? Its a great looking model.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
As Svennn said : the hue should be a light tan, although I don't know how fast the original dye was. Sweat and exposure to the sun would probably induce fading relatively quickly, resulting in various shades of light khaki in the field.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
It is a bit yellow BUT that looks a-okay!

My Colonial Germans are painted with orange ochre and one of them looks a little silly but the whole group together ties the color together and looks just fine.

If it will keep you awake all night, annoyed by the yellowishness, then repaint.  Otherwise, I think he looks great and not at all unrealistic.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
I would'nt re-paint to be honest a bit too yellow or not, he looks great.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
Thank you for your opinions, guys. No, I am not considering a re-paint. I am fine with having different shades of Khaki in the group. What really interests me is getting it a bit better next time. I guess that highlighting the Green Ochre with Beige makes it too yellow. Next time I'll start darker and highlight my mixing in an off white rather than a yellowy tone. Should you have a good Khaki recipe using Vallejo or Foundry paints, do also feel free to let me know about it.

Offline Mycenius

• Bookworm
  • Megalomania?! What's that...?
    • Wargaming.info
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
Is that a copplestone sculpt? Its a great looking model.

Brigade Games - I have a unit of these chaps - I have always been a little disappointed with them as not having quite the same depth of detail (faces & uniforms) as other Brigade figures - but Remington seems to have brought out more detail (or my older figures aren't as crisply cast).

And yeah - my 2 cents for Remington FWIW - I think that uniform colour should be a fair bit darker - as I understand it was a very Khaki uniform, like the British Indian Pattern uniforms pre-WW1, so wouldn't be the yellowish shade... And of course in WW1 they ended up wearing mostly British Uniforms anyway...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:32:54 PM by Mycenius »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
Whatever the shade of khaki, they are beautifully done. You've got the eyes spot-on, which is always a good indication of an expert painter.

I can't wait to see a complete unit of them  :D

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to answer the question on the maker. This is actually a Copplestone model. Although I like the style of Mike Owen, the Brigade Askari Riflemen don't shake my tree as much as the Copplestone ones do. But thankfully Brigade have loads of extras that are splendid.

Thank you, Mycenius. I will go darker with the next ones. I guess this guy got a "faulty" uniform. :) I gave him another layer of green ochre mixed with Ivory which has reduced the "yellowness" a bit... Next ones will be closer to Green Ochre and I'll use it as my base colour and not my shade, as I did on this one.

Thanks, GM. The eyes on Copplestone miniatures are quite a pain in the bum, so I am always happy when I'm done with them. :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:58:12 PM by Remington »

Offline Mycenius

• Bookworm
  • Megalomania?! What's that...?
    • Wargaming.info
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to answer the question on the maker. This is actually a Copplestone model. Although I like the style of Mike Owen, the Brigade Askari Riflemen don't shake my tree as much as the Copplestone ones do. But thankfully Brigade have loads of extras that are splendid.

Ooohhhh... Copplestone - yes that explains things (Re: Detail) - much nicer looking figure I think... (Actually I had forgotten Copplestone do some - I'm pretty sure my figs are the Brigade chaps - hence why I was certain he must of been a Brigade fella).

Thank you, Mycenius. I will go darker with the next ones. I guess this guy got a "faulty" uniform. :) I gave him another layer of green ochre mixed with Ivory which has reduced the "yellowness" a bit... Next ones will be closer to Green Ochre and I'll use it as my base colour and not my shade, as I did on this one.

No worries - anyway they are your troops so go with what you prefer  :)  Certainly a fantastic paint job all-round regardless. If I get time tonight I will try and post up a quick pick of one of my guys to give you an idea of the colour - it may not be 100% historically accurate but it'll give you an idea anyway...

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the info on the manufacturers guys.

Painting eyes are a pain in the butt i'll agree with that one. I can understand why some people avoid painting them.

Hope you'll post up a pic or two of the unit when its finished, and the whole army for that matter  :)

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:40:36 PM »
A very nice paint job Doc, especially for 1.5 hours  :o if only i could paint that fast...  :'(

For khaki i have a recipe using P3 paints:

Beast hide
Beast Hide + Hammerfall Khaki
Hammerfall Khaki
Then add white to Hammerfall Khaki for successive highlights.

Hmm, maybe this is why it takes me so long to paint minis - all those layers...  :'(
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:42 PM »
Mycenius, thanks... Should you also be so kind to mention the paints you are using would be great. I am not aiming for 100% accuracy by the way... I am just looking for a khaki that looks good but also isn't too far off the mark. I hope I haven't given a false impression of what I am trying to achieve. For example, I have no idea if the following tone is accurate, but I would like to achieve something like that:

I've asked Frank what colours he's used and he did say it was basically Green Ochre... So now I just have to get the balance. I am guessing he mixed some dark brown into the Ochre first to get his shade colour. Somehow I seem to be blind in matters Khaki. It's very a hard to judge colour for me.

RJ, the speed surprised me as well... Go figure. Maybe it was a good day. Thank you for the list of paints. I'll go over to your blog and see if I can find examples of your Khaki tone.

Cram, I think I am rather going for a skirmish force. For a start 10 Askari and a leader or two. But there are also some Saxons to paint.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:14 AM »
Late to this party but if you think it is too yellow - and you are willing - ink the figure judiciously and I think you'll get a spectacular figure where you have a very nice figure.  Just my opinion.