Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spray gun for base coating?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Spray gun for base coating?
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
Dear Gentlemen,
I was wondering if one could use a spray gun to base-coat his minis, if anybody is doing that, what pros and cons we have. Counting that a spray can contains about 20% colour and 80% solvent/gas and is bad for my lungs and the enviroment, I was trying to get a tool that could pay itself in the long time, health and earth saver.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Spray gun for base coating?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
You certainly could. Spray guns takes a a little while to master though, getting the spray even and the paint to bite properly.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Oh, thanks. And do you think there is a specific kind of colour (I mean acrylic, enamel, and so on) to be used in priming? And can any of them be used with a spray gun?

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
I don't know how well acrylic works as a primer but using enamels means using solvents to thin it and clean the gun.  Something it seemed you wanted to steer away from.  Hopefully someone can suggest a water-based primer.  If your looking at the automotive style spray guns I'd look for a touch-up or detailing gun.  They'll put out a lot less paint than their big brothers.  If health is a concern than I would still use some sort of mask when spraying.  Your still dealing with atomized paint in the air.

Also look into priming with gesso.  Its a brush on paint used to prime canvas.  Never tried it myself but I've read it works.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:37:17 PM by Big Sexy »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
Acrylics are certainly not ideal for priming since watering them down to airbrushable consistency weakens the medium. It may work if you use mostly matte medium as a solvent but I have never tried that with the intention to create a durable foundation.

I can recommend gesso, both black and white. I use it for touch up jobs and when single minis need priming. Don't water it much, it will weaken the medium and make it stick poorly to the mini.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
Ok, thanks to all.
So, as I read, all in all enamel are still the best way to undercoat a miniature, aren't they? As for a mask, yes, I do use it. And about gesso: I'll check it out.
Yet, I assume everybody is priming with "can" spray for large number of minis, right?

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
vallejo have just released a new acryllic primer that is very good, can be used via airbrush and doesnt stick the house out. http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/materials-tools/paints/primers.html

pretty much everything i do nowadays is via airbrush tbh....
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 01:49:20 AM »
The VALLEJO ACRYLIC-POLYURETHANE PRIMER will spray straight  out of the bottle no thinning required, that's using a airbrush no idea on the larger air guns.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
I"m going to confuse you here (after what the others said). I always undercoat my minis with acrylic paint through my airbrush (a top of the line Paasche,old fashioned but bomb proof).The secret is thinning,however that goes without saying with an airbrush. If I'm worried about surviabilty of the paint job I respray with a glaze of matte acrylic and a dark brown mixed with a little water.The varnish provides a key for your paint and as protection and the brown over your first undercoat works as an painting guide  as it tends to be darker in the nooks and crannies of your mini(s).

May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
Now I'm officially confused... as I love Vallejo I'll try that über thing out, but Blackwolf's hint sounds like ready to try out. Thanks to everyone.