Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:08:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pirate Adventure... A new house enters the stage.. ehh the habour Pics inside :)  (Read 28495 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Pirate Adventure... the beginning and a nice weekend with the gang
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:41 PM »
VERY COOL STUFF! I LOVE the chimney/fireplace on the Oh-So-Cool scratch built Gem. All VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Evanion

• Assistant
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
I have been away for nearly two weeks. And when I got home to Galland today, I noticed another awesome building that have yet to be revealed. But, then again ... we do need to keep some secrets for SLAM. ;)
The level of detail that have gone in to the buildings is astounding! For instance, in the fireplace on the first floor, there is a hook for the kettle that you can swing out.
Creativity is the face of your soul!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2011, 07:38:31 AM »
This looks like a great board to play on. The level of detail is amazing.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
Bah its no secret hehe. Next up is the Pilots (lotse) building and after that we will do the L'azzurro Arance, the local whore house. Third in the list is a merchants house with a ware house attached to it, or something like it at least.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »
Can we get a tutorial on those buildings...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
*Cough*

Well a tutorial is what we would like to have hehe. Since this is the first house we ever made from scratch. But it should be mentioned that we have been building wargame veichles and the like for many moons, so we are not unfamiliar with scratchbuilding as a concept, or conversions for that matter. The benefits of being Space Orc players :D

However, we primarely used what we know have been the staple material for this kind of modeling for a long time, foamcore for the exterior and interior inner walls and foamcore cut in half for the outer stone work. Primarely 3mm foamcore, but would use 5mm where appropiate. We then covered them with a thin layer of moddeling paste to give some structure and rough finish, and also to represent the filling material. I think however, that we will try to cover the cut foamcore and other materials with a different medium than airbrushing them with thin black primer, and try to go for a thicker colour, perhaps vinyl colour, to get rid of some of the surface roughness. We are still working on that part, and are trying to achive better results with upcoming buildings.

On same parts of the stone work, on the wall attached to the GW house for instance, we used 3mm depron. Very nice material, super for making walls, cobblestone, pavements, walls, brickwork, or what ever surface you fancy.

The pillars or supports are made of cut styrodur (floor isolation, in this case it was some sort of yellow type).
Roof is made from foamcore with added strips of cut lengths of cardboard (we used all kinds, what ever we had at hand, but that was of the same thickness). Styrodur is, as Kalle sayes, magical. You can cut it to look about as anything in a old building.

The windows are made from cut cardboard, and then we covered the back with insect net (bought very cheaply in a conveniance store). All made in Wolfgang style.

We have tried to keep the houses as simple as possible, with very few details added, to save time and effort, but still yeild a pleasant and belivable gaming enviroment. We will add furniture and the like when we have time, but for now, its really enough if there are a few central items to represent a "living" area in the houses.

When we are done with this pirate boards, we will start on a new project, and this have pretty much been the trial and error testground for that. We learn from our misstakes as we go along. Also painting and other techniques have been developing a bit. The greatest lesson have been the discovery of materials and how they work, and what can be made out of it, considering our limited skill and experiece.

We have spent many hours looking at other peoples work, picking up little tips here and there, and have tried to apply that to our own stuff.

I would recomend the Workbench area, its fantastic, also the Swashbuckling section. Loads of inspiration here. Another tip is Chianty´s Wargames Blog, its my absolute favourite.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
Great stuff, Galland! And I'm really amazed with the speed of this whole project!

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
 :o That's one hell of a lot of reference material. Really stunning terrain piece and I'm a fan of the ship to. Keep it up!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
Very nice indeed.

But where's the fleet, happen they be lost at sea, drowned and resting in the clutches of Davy Jones?

(Be good to see what you do with them).

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
Hehe, the fleet is dormant... waiting for the evil powers to disapear, so they can go back to bananas, rum and carribean gurlz.

We are primarely working on the tables for now, and will concentrate on the ships a bit later. Some smaller vessels are being done at the same time as the buildings though, and I have actually started on my Black Pearl, but dont tell the other guys in our project ;-)

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
Awesome work with that pirate board. I´m looking foward to defend its poor citizens from the dreadful pirate scum.  >:D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:00:27 PM by General Roos »
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
Crazy good looking buildings!  :-*

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 10:33:03 PM »
Awesome work with that pirate board. I´m looking foward to defend its poor citizens from the dreadful pirate scum.  >:D

There is absolutely not, and I am quite sure of this, any kind of dreadful pirate scum around, they are all hard working pearl fishers! Its the truth!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
I wouldn't mind beating up some pearl fisher and getting those precious pearls for me self lol

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
I visited Galland today and took part of his, Kalles and Evanions work with pirate port. I was mesmerized by all the little details that the guys had created for their beautiful board. A true piece of wargaming art.  :)