Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689480
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW mighty Empires campaign weekend review  (Read 1914 times)

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
GW mighty Empires campaign weekend review
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
I hope this is the right board for this, if not mods please move it. It didn't really seem to fit in anywhere else.

Anyway on with the review. Myself and threee club mates (Legion, west london) attended this previous weekends Mighty Empires campaign weekend 'The gateway of the Old Ones' at Warhammer world.

Only 10 teams took part so it could have been busier, but didn't suffer for that.

Players were in teams of 4 fighting individual battles for resources against other teams until the last battle, then it was effectively a doubles team last game except for the top 2 teams who played a 4 against 4 on the top table.

The sheer amount of work put in was immediately apparent the minute you entered the gaming hall.

A mighty empires tiles campaign map had been specially done. Some very impressive custom made scenery was evident on several tables. All the tables were themed to reflect the territory you were fighting over and almost all also had special rules to accompany the theme. Each one was a pleasure to game on, god knows how much time and effort the event team had put into it, but it really showed.

Who fought where was decided by pulling lots from a bag, your team then decided who would fight where by considering what races were on your team
and how the special rules would affect that army, but without knowing who your enemy was or what race they were using.

Battles ranged in size each time, there were 500 point skirmish type games friday night, saturday saw us using 1000, 1500 and 3000 point games followed on sunday by a 2000 point game and the final doubles game which started at 1000 per player, but you got to add the resource point totals from territory you had won over the weekend.

All the games over the weekend were friendly, and the organisation was superb, for instance:- nothing over ran, everything started pretty much on time and even the awards ceremony at the end wasn't rushed and all the prizes were awarded and handed out. Out of all the many events and tournies we have played in, I have not played in a better organised event anywhere.

The evenings entertainment was also well organised and a great laugh, on saturday night there was an 18 player game of 'herohammer' for instance that was superb.

One of the 'Team ninja Badger ' guys has posted some great photos on their blog at...
http://warhammergamesclub.ning.com/photo/gateway-of-the-old-ones-4/prev?context=featured

They were one of the top teams fighting over the gateway in the final game.

Basically i wanted to let people know how much fun our team had over the weekend and would encourage any one to give these weekends a try if they want to get enthused about the game.

I had 5 great games, ate and drank too much, bought new toys and made new friends as well as playing with several guys i have played in previous GTs, Thrones of skulls and campaign weekends.

Hopefully the guys who ran this will be given a free reign to handle other GW events, If so we are in for a real good time in the future.

Sorry if the above makes me sound like a ' GW fanboi' but i'm really not, honest!

regards

jim

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:19:14 PM by fairoaks024 »
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Re: GW mighty Empires campaign weekend review
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
Wow...sounds like a very cool event....however...the link to pictures you posted is broken... :'(

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
try this one...

http://warhammergamesclub.ning.com/photo/gateway-of-the-old-ones-4?context=featured

the first one works for me, i can't see what's wrong, hopefully this second one'll work

regards

jim

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
I have no problem with GW fanbois  ;)
I've always considered the GW games to be quite interesting, especially when paired with a strategic approach. Thanks for these pics.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:51 AM »
No reason to apologize for having a good time gaming on some very nice looking tables.  One of these days I will have to paint my might Empire map pieces.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;