Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a skirmish game suitable for Ancient / fantasy theme  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
So I'm not sure if this is the right section but I'll try.

Like the header says I'm looking for a game suitable for skirmish battles and option for campaign gaming. Also it should be playable with Ancient themed "warbands" romans etc. but also including mythological / fantasy monsters.

so the game should be very much like Mordheim but in totally different settings. If some of you know a set of rules close to what I am trying to find please let me know. I always could make my own but I will try to find first.

Would be great to play with a roman warband questing in search of fame and fortune fighting mythical beasts and rivalling rogues / warbands.

cheers

Mika

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Looking for a skirmish game suitable for Ancient / fantasy theme
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »
I'll plug my own stuff if that is okay.

You can check out Broadsword Adventures which is very much based on historical countries being reimagined in a fantasy setting.

http://rattrapproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=ihapp67gsrj2aegqda0296oi37

I am actually running a game tonight in this setting but using the new .45 Adventure 2nd edition rules that just came out.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
I'll plug my own stuff if that is okay.
I am actually running a game tonight in this setting but using the new .45 Adventure 2nd edition rules that just came out.

Sure it's ok. So broadsword ruleset would match with my vision? That lion guard mini looks "a bit" like roman ;)

Hmm what's the difference between .45 ruleset and broadsword...which ruleset you would suggest

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
I would also suggest Song of Blades and Heroes.  You can make your own troops and the rules are somewhat compatible across their games.  An ancients version is coming out, but it is pretty much based off the fantasy.  It's worth a look.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
Here's the scoop...

.45 Adventure 2nd edition was just released and I am waiting for the bulk of the books to arrive (we sold out our initial copies). The .45 Adventure rules are designed with pulp gaming in mind and is written that way. HOWEVER, in the book is an Archetype Building formula so that you could generate tons of your own archetypes.

Here is what I suggest, download the .45 Adventure demo rules from the Speakeasy forum.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/speakeasy/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=34879f75a4f74bd41c8fa5d8f1a13f37

Tonight I am running a Broadsword game using the 2nd edition rules. So tomorrow, I will post some of the demo lists I was building from it. You can then use those lists to see if it works for you.

This way, no cost to you until you can see if you like it.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
I would also suggest Song of Blades and Heroes.  You can make your own troops and the rules are somewhat compatible across their games.  An ancients version is coming out, but it is pretty much based off the fantasy.  It's worth a look.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/

Actually I have SoBaH books and was going to get the ancient supplement but it was not still released. That would work well I think.

Also I just read the .45 1 ed rules and it looks pretty straightforward and generic also...

Now I have a few options but not quite what I would like to have

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
well well.... I just re-read the Song of blade and heroes and the arthurian add on. Those two books cover the monsters and other races I need and also the roman! So those books cover everything for now. I also ordered the supplement with campaign rules so I think I'm good with those for now :P

But! if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
You really don't need to use the profiles in the books, I never do. Generate your own profiles with the online warband construction tool! It's the way to play SOBH. =)

well well.... I just re-read the Song of blade and heroes and the arthurian add on. Those two books cover the monsters and other races I need and also the roman! So those books cover everything for now. I also ordered the supplement with campaign rules so I think I'm good with those for now :P

But! if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
hehe thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of the tool  lol

yea... I'll do my own suitable templates :) Thanks again.