Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689640
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rumble in the Ruins  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Rumble in the Ruins
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
So last night I ran a Broadsword Adventures game using the .45 Adventure 2nd edition rules. I had to generate some lists quickly so the magic portion was not as well planned as I had hoped, but it gave me a starting point (though only one person took magic and then never used it because there was never a good opportunity).

I came a cross a couple of things that I need to FAQ just so people are clear, but no real problems with the rules.

Anyway, here are some shots from the game.

The table set up. Yeah, that's a GW table that we're using.

The Gnoll gang. These are Otherworld Gnolls. Gnolls (along with orcs and goblins) will not be in any Broadsword supplement, but for this test game, I wanted people to just bring things they wanted to play because that would help show off the versatility of the rules.

Two images of Joe's really well-painted Night Goblins from GW. He didn't want me to post pictures of them because he painted them a long time ago and had never finished the bases. The Goblins won the game despite taking the most losses. They were lucky to find a very powerful "well-crafted" sword. With it, the non-combat oriented Shaman was able to cut through a giant spider.

The Otherworld Orcs. I LOVE Otherworld miniatures (being an old-school D&D player).

Goran, Captain Alessio, and Fuzzball battle an Unghauer. Animal Handling is a great new ability and if I had not been so worried about losing models to archer fire, probably would have gotten in on more of the action.

The Njorden Warlord battles Warriors of Khozer Nil. The Grade 3 took a beating here and led to my first FAQ thought. Originally, I had shifted all the points for the build of these skeletons from stats they didn't need to other stats. This led to a huge imbalance in their build. So, even if an archetype does not need a stat (like Brains, Will, Guts, etc.) it still must put the starting points in them.

Everyone knew that the Hydra would appear eventually. It was the Gnolls who were the poor victims and they fled quickly despite the big Victory Point item it had.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Rumble in the Ruins
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »
Wow, looks like a really fun game and set up. I really like games that mix a lot of different minis on one table. Do you know who make the Ogre looking mini with the knuckle dusters? Btw, the gnolls are by WOTC from their OOP Chainmail series and not from Otherworld.

Cool stuff, I really want to give Broadsword a try soon

Damien

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
Do you know who make the Ogre looking mini with the knuckle dusters?

--->I do. http://rattrapproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_8&products_id=45

Btw, the gnolls are by WOTC from their OOP Chainmail series and not from Otherworld.

--->Doh! You are correct. There were some Otherworld Gnolls in the box that the player brought but he took out these and not them.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
Great mini, I have to start looking at your mini lines more often. Did you advertise him here, I never saw him before?

Thanks
Damien

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
He came out a year or so ago. And I probably posted him here. But at my advanced age who can be sure what I have done.  lol

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »
EXCELLENT looking minis/terrain & a COOL Battle Report.
I can identify with the advanced age forgetfulness thingy, but I can't remember why.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
I can identify with the advanced age forgetfulness thingy, but I can't remember why.
I believe it might be because you are an old git... sir. :)

Great game, Richard! Looking forward to try Broadsword someday. PDF is bought and printed... never read it properly though. =(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:56:02 PM by phreedh »
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:14:05 AM »
Looks interesting!

As someone planning to do some Greek Mythological gaming I'm interested in how you handled the Hydra?

I have had a few ideas developing the LOTR rules to fit a many-headed dragon, but I'd be very keen to see how the V2 rules handle this beast.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »
For second edition it was a standard Grade 3 and had Multiple Attacks +5, a high DR, and supernatural save. So it was tough to hurt.

However, each time it took a torso wound or if it took a head wound, I "killed" one of the heads and reduced the attacks by one.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
Sounds good rule-wise. Not familair with the Broadsword stuff though - good as it sounds!

Just need to get brave enough to bid the required amount for the old citadel hydra with snake body that seems to go for silly money on ebay...  >:D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:05:48 AM »
For second edition it was a standard Grade 3 and had Multiple Attacks +5, a high DR, and supernatural save. So it was tough to hurt.

However, each time it took a torso wound or if it took a head wound, I "killed" one of the heads and reduced the attacks by one.

That sounds like it would work very well. I only have the an undertsanding of the 1st Ed rules, but I'm really looking forward to giving these a go.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
Lovely stuff OP5, where is the ogre with spiked club from?

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
I'd like to know the answer to that question as well!

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Great game. Seems like a lot of fun.

The ogre with spiked club is from rattrap.

http://rattrapproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_8&products_id=45

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
Thanks