Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GW: The Old West  (Read 7039 times)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
GW: The Old West
« on: October 07, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »
I'm considering picking up this wargame.  It looks like the latest supplement has rules for doing 1920's bootlegging and beyond.  My question is, how is this game?  Would it be pretty easy to turn it into a Weird West game with Dinosaurs and Zombie Gunfighters?
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »
The original "Legends of the Old West" is a blast. We had SO MUCH FUN, both in one-off games and in campaign environments. I´d strongly suggest using the campaign rules once you´ve got the basic rules down.

On Weird West conversions, I guess it wouldn´t be that problematic. Once you know how those profiles work, you can whip up pretty much anything you fancy.

I´ve written rules for my Automatons from Pinnacle, where, of course, balancing is of the utmost importance (for example, I didn´t give them actual Gatling guns, but rather treat them as sixguns which may use "fanning" in every turn unless jammed; only "mechanics" can fix such jams, and otherwise, the automatons are rather slow, ponderous, but resilient).

I haven´t read the latest supplements, but had a look at the Plains Wars and Mexico/Texas books; the latter two are okay, but the first one has gotten a lot of bad press here on the forum, generally along the lines of "some stuff inside, but definitely not worth the money". As said, cannot comment 1st-hand on that, but I trust the people who did not to make idle threats. So to speak. :mrgreen:

So, to sum up, I suggest getting the main rulebook, the errata (downloadable I get, but there ain´t too many, IIRC), playing a couple of normal games, and then work out your own rules in your group.

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
The latest book "Showdown" mentions adapting the rules to different periods such as for Gangs of New York, 1920 gangsters and even WWI/WWII but there are no specific rules given for them apart from suggestions on the rules for a tommy gun.

The game is quick and fun though - it follows the Lord of the Rings gaming system which, although a bit simplistic, does allow fast action so you're not playing one game the entire night.  The campaign element of the book is adapted from the Mordheim game - so members of your posse/wargang/mob each gain skills, extra equipment and injuries as the games progress.

I'd advise having a look at the main rulebook as you'd need that - I'm not too sure if it'd be necessary for your to get the latest suppliment though.  I did, but then I'm a seasoned LotOW gamer who likes Zorro and the Lone Ranger to appear in my games :)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
yes you can turn it easy in a Deadlands game
Go for it it is a very good rule set but bevore you buy the other LOTOW books
take a look if reay need them .
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »
LOTOW is a great game, nice and simple, quick to play and easily adaptable for pulp, WWII and anything else really.

The Showdown book got really mixed reviews, as lots of people were really looking forward to a set of complete rules for Prohibition Era, but got a chapter of suggestions for all kinds of eras.

Also there are rules and scenarios for movies like The Man With No Name, The Lone Ranger, a Magnificent Seven scenario, the opening scene from The Mask of Zorro and a train robbery.

For campaign play there are some extras for town maps and using a deck of cards for random events.

However including rules for Zorro makes is the best.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 03:45:50 PM »
Dont buy unlss you want a few extra scenariuos and a multiplayer one. There are a few extra charactors etc. The Mobster bit has only a brif half page.

I have been trying to convert a french version of gangster lists PM me and I will send you what I have so far.

PS You will need the first set LOTOW to play any and all of the supplements, just in case you didnt know

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 05:43:06 PM »
The first to supplements are great, but showdown looks like a piece of work abandoned half way in the writing process, but still priced as if complete. :(
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:49 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies gentlemen.  It's too bad about the showdown book, I was hoping for more crunch than fluff in it.  The Core book I'll definatly be picking up.  I've played Lotr, Necromunda and Mordheim so it's should be easy to pick this game up.

As far as adaptations / additions to the rules I'd like to make.  Dinosaurs would be the first order of busness.  Some more deadlands style stuff would be the second.  Eventually I'd like to use the rules as a framwork for other kinds of Pulp Gaming.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:41 AM »
Quote from: "P_Clapham"
As far as adaptations / additions to the rules I'd like to make.  Dinosaurs would be the first order of busness.  Some more deadlands style stuff would be the second.  Eventually I'd like to use the rules as a framwork for other kinds of Pulp Gaming.

Wargames Journal had a set of Dino Rules for LOTOW, hopefully when they sort themselves out they'll get them up on the website.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:22:25 AM »
I picked up and read through the main rules this weekend.  It's a pretty nice mix of the Mordheim/Necromunda rules and Lord of the Rings.  

I couldn't find the rules for running a Chinese Tong gang, I take it they are located in one of the other supplements?

I'm considering a few different approaches as far as putting together a pulp wargame.  First I'm considering leaving the warband rules as they stand.  If you want to run an "Adventurer" warband you would use the cowboy rules, "Gangsters" would be the Outlaws and the Lawmen could represent a more Military warband.

Alternativly I could go the Necromunda route, where you have the boss, a couple champions, Rank and File and finaly some jittery youngbloods.  I thought about mixing that up a bit by adding in Professions for the warbands as well, like "Adventuring Archeologist" or "Two-Fisted Reporter".  Each profession could give a stat increase and a minor special ability.

Finaly my thoughts turned towards the gun rules.  Here's the machine gun I threw together, I'm not sure if it's costed too little.

Range 18"    ST 4    Half Movepenalty  Fanning  $25

It's pretty much just a repeating rifle with the fanning rules.  Speaking of rifles the Buffalo gun strikes me as not too effective vrs Dinosaurs.  I imagine some of the bigger ones will have a Grit of at least 6.  I'm thinking of making the rifle St 5 but reducing it's range from 30" to 24"

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 05:25:29 PM »
I couldn't find the rules for running a Chinese Tong gang, I take it they are located in one of the other supplements?

The Tong are in Showdown.  The smallest and cheapest of the supplements.

Finaly my thoughts turned towards the gun rules.  Here's the machine gun I threw together, I'm not sure if it's costed too little.

Range 18"    ST 4    Half Movepenalty  Fanning  $25

Looks good, for bigger machine guns you may want to make them move or fire, increase the range, strength and cost.

It's pretty much just a repeating rifle with the fanning rules.  Speaking of rifles the Buffalo gun strikes me as not too effective vrs Dinosaurs.  I imagine some of the bigger ones will have a Grit of at least 6.  I'm thinking of making the rifle St 5 but reducing it's range from 30" to 24"

Not sure, your heroes can be using their fame up to improve those kill shots on the big beasties.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
My gaming group modified LotOW for 1920's adventure.  If you join the Yahoo group here:  http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/mummy_mordheim/

you will be able to find some of the modifications we used.  Submachine guns are similar to fanning (roll up to 6d6, hits on 6 but if you roll more 1 than 6, you cannot fire next round - either your gun jammed or you ran out of ammunition) while light machine guns (Lewis Gun, BAR et al) are similar, but more portable,  to the Gatling gun from Blood on the Plain.

Unfortunately, the campaign is now defunct, since I moved to a new city!

Will

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 05:45:59 AM »
I tried joining that group and it didn;t work out.  I'm not sure anyone is logging onto it anymore.  :(

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: GW: The Old West
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »
Have you guys seen these:

http://lotow.free.fr/IMG/pdf/Variantes_Legend_Of_The_Old_West_Pirate_Samourai_Prohibition.pdf

http://lotow.free.fr/IMG/pdf/Variantes_LOTOW_Horreur.pdf

http://lotow.free.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=31

If you can't understand the stats alone may be an aid!

But, I think you should try Deadlands GRW, it"s better than LOTOW!!!!!!!!