Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Space Hulk board and beyond - updated April 7th  (Read 11552 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Space Hulk board and beyond
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »
@zizi666:
Are your models from Worldworks, or is it Fat Dragon or something (I remember seeing those before, but I cannot remember which company)? And did you 'fill' the walls with foamboard, too, or are they just hollow?

I think paper terrain is a very good (and fairly fast) alternative if you don't have the money for resin scenery, or don't have the time/patience/skill/whatever to produce your own solid models. Of course, I would always prefer the solid stuff, but the paper does the job where needed.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 06:59:21 AM »
I've built paper models since I was a kid - great stuff, paper! :-)

Painting:

I basecoat all of the sections with Army Painter spray paint, Army Green for the Hulk, with black spray for anything that is going to be primarily grey.

I then paint all of the details using GW foundation paints, followed by a heavy Devlan Mud wash. The green surfaces are then drybrushed with GW Knarloc Green. Metal surfaces are painted with a 50/50 mix of Boltgun Metal and Chaos Black. Pipes are Calthan Brown and Devlan Mud. When I'm confident I can do it right I may want to go over all of the pipes to give them more of a rusted look.

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
Paper set looks like Stones Edges Orbital available from RPG now. My own space hulk project got seriously derailed when I discovered I printed a bunch of the Stones Edges terrain with the "scaled to fit paper" option on. All of it was unsuitable for use with 28mm figures. Oh the ink.

Pylons are a bit fiddly to construct but I liked the look of the set and they provide some great connection points. They have a door frame with "push out" door that looks great but might be difficult in play. It does give you the option to have open hatches at the ends of corridors and rooms

Offline mad mcgobbo

• Lurker
    • Mad McGobbo.com
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »
I must say thats one lovely set of Hulk "boards" you have going there. With the Hirst moulds it should work out cheaper than the current GW set as well.
Good work!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
Paper set looks like Stones Edges Orbital available from RPG now.

That is correct.

My own space hulk project got seriously derailed when I discovered I printed a bunch of the Stones Edges terrain with the "scaled to fit paper" option on. All of it was unsuitable for use with 28mm figures. Oh the ink.

That is very unfortunate. I had built some of their dungeon stuff before, and knew I had to print everything big enough for those wide genestealers to fit in. As a matter of fact, they still don't fit between 2 pylons (we put them swinging on their arms...)

As for layout, I import the files in photoshop and then move some things around to create the floorplan, or larger walls.

re walls : I do glue the walls over foamboard to get stronger models. this benfits in being able to storage them upside down, interlocking on other models without being afraid they'd break, tear or deform.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
Re: Space Hulk board and beyond - updated April 7th
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
I built some more sections and almost all of them are painted now.

Differently shaped room:

Separated:

Re-arranging the pieces:

Here I've returned to the original Arena concept with separate wall sections:

The Gothic Arena is a Hirst Arts project intended for Clix figures, using 1.5 inch floor tiles with 0.5 inch thick walls running across the middle of the floor tiles. The project uses separate floor sections and movable walls. The geometry of the entire Hulk set, both the corridor sections and the big room set, is actually lifted straight from the Gothic Arena project.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:06:50 PM by Willypold »

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
Fantastic stuff!

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
I'm guessing there's going to be some weightlifting involved in moving those pieces around, but playing that board must be sheer heaven  ;D
One question though :
in a previous picture I notice you put some models on the board.
the genestealer is placed on an intersection tile. does he fit between the walls of a straight corridor ?

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
Beautiful.
(Tearful voice)

Simply, BEAUTIFUL! 8) :D
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
I'm guessing there's going to be some weightlifting involved in moving those pieces around, but playing that board must be sheer heaven  ;D
One question though :
in a previous picture I notice you put some models on the board.
the genestealer is placed on an intersection tile. does he fit between the walls of a straight corridor ?

A typical room weighs in at 1.3 kilos, and a 3-square corridor at 300 grams... Multiply by 50 sections... :-)

The distance between the walls is perfect for the Genestealers, and will even accomodate some of the Tyranid Warriors, as long as I avoid the ones with the really large claws. The actual distance between the walls is 2.5 inches / 65 mm.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
A typical room weighs in at 1.3 kilos, and a 3-square corridor at 300 grams... Multiply by 50 sections... :-)
that's why they created trolleys   :)

The distance between the walls is perfect for the Genestealers, and will even accomodate some of the Tyranid Warriors, as long as I avoid the ones with the really large claws. The actual distance between the walls is 2.5 inches / 65 mm.
Nice ! As the photo was bird's eye view I couldn't see clear, I thought the Tyranid's arms were actualy raised above the walls.

Downside of large tiles is ofcourse the giant table you'll be needing to game the larger maps. 
then again the upside is better accessability for your counters. I created copies of the Blip-counters and glued them on foamboard so they'd be easier to pick up from between the walls.  ::)

Oh and for flamer counters there's always GF9  ;)

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Large size? Well, looking at some of the missions, counting the squares in a ramdomly chosen selection, I found one that is 25x28 squares and another that is 32x21, which translates into 95x106 cm and 121x80 cm. As it is right now I can fit in a number of the missions on our kitchen table if I build the layout diagonally. When it's time to make a runt through all 18 missions I will have to get everything to a gaming convention or something like that. The plan right now is to bring it all to the SLAM convention in Stockholm in June.