Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need basing materials matching GW battle mat  (Read 4380 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Need basing materials matching GW battle mat
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
I've exhausted my old supply of basing materials... =( Been using the same (large) bag of Heki static grass for ages, and some flock I don't even remember the make of. Repackaged that some 10 years ago or so.

Now, the once ample supply has been more or less used up and I'm at a loss as to what products I should buy. I want something matching the GW battle mat I'm playing on. My old stuff matched my gaming surface pretty well, by sheer luck:

The obvious choice would be to settle for GW products (as they ought to match), but containers are tiny and expensive. Also, there are very few hobby stores in the vicinity and they only stock overpriced GW, GF9 or Army Painter junk.

If anyone knows of a proper match between the GW battle mat and basing materials I would be very happy!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Need basing materials matching GW battle mat
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
This is Jed's article, but being a cheeky git I'll post it first: static grass comparisons.

I got a fine match to the old paper-based GW mat with Noch Sommerwiesen. Available in quite huge 100g bags, at least when I bought mine.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
I know this is an old thead, but i have a similar need: any materials from UK suppliers that LAF'ers can recommend to match to GW's Battlemat (mine is a few months old, fabric backed if that is of any help)? Thanks in advance.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
Two funny things I found out about GWs Battlemat: even GWs own static grass does not match the colour, and a surprisingliy positive one: Though they don't tell you so, it seems to be kinda machine washable.

I mixed two bags of Noch static grass to get a good blend (not perfect, but still well enough). Just visit your local railroad modelling shop and maybe bring the battlemat along for comparison. Noch should be available in the UK via Woodland Scencis (they either belong together or have some kind of trade agreement). So far all railraod modellers reacted fine to my hobby. when you're at it, don't mix everything together. Having darker and lighter flocking material for your terrain makes it even more realilistc. I only just use my precious box of blended grass to flock the edge of my terrain pieces and happily use other colours/materials elsewhere.

Far less active than I used to...

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »
Two funny things I found out about GWs Battlemat: even GWs own static grass does not match the colour, and a surprisingliy positive one: Though they don't tell you so, it seems to be kinda machine washable.

I mixed two bags of Noch static grass to get a good blend (not perfect, but still well enough). Just visit your local railroad modelling shop and maybe bring the battlemat along for comparison. Noch should be available in the UK via Woodland Scencis (they either belong together or have some kind of trade agreement). So far all railraod modellers reacted fine to my hobby. when you're at it, don't mix everything together. Having darker and lighter flocking material for your terrain makes it even more realilistc. I only just use my precious box of blended grass to flock the edge of my terrain pieces and happily use other colours/materials elsewhere.

Which 2 Noch grasses did you use for your blend?

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:35:35 AM »
Which 2 Noch grasses did you use for your blend?
Wanted to look that up when I wrote the first post, but I have to admit, I simply threw away the cardboard (or maybe buildt something weird out of it).

One was dark green and the other might have been "Frühlingswiesen-Grass" or "Sommerwiesen-Grass" (it was the yellowish bright green one).

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:25:40 AM »
How about buying another GW battle mat, and snipping small pieces off of it?