Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:58:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry New Stuff  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Perry New Stuff
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
I've always considered Perry figures to be more artisitic than crisp (metals, not plastics).

IMO its the general animation, anatomy and imagination of their work that grabs me. There are certainly far sharper figures in detail terms, but usually at the expense of overall composition. The brothers work matches well with what I have in my head after reading some good history, rather like Anthony Barton's work does too.

They can be tough to paint, but still look top-tier when done well. I applaud the less prominent surface detail, but understand why it drives some folk nuts. I think their figures also age very well  - I've just sold most of my wargames figures and 'leadpile'. Almost without exception I ended up keeping the Perry figs. Once I revisited them I couldn't bear to part with them.

Threads criticizing them are very common, and always have been. They have a lot of fans, but equal numbers who (sometimes very vocally) don't see what all the fuss is about.

Not really sure what I'm getting at ... probabaly something about artistry over precision or something daft like that. Oh, and that criticising their output is actually the new black  :D
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »

Not really sure what I'm getting at ... probabaly something about artistry over precision or something daft like that. Oh, and that criticising their output is actually the new black  :D

EEP! I didn't realize I was being trendy... I haven't ever read a Perry criticism thread!

I'll agree with you that Perry have an 'artistic' quality that sets them apart from the pack- I guess I'd say its a believability of sorts, they almost seem like they could start moving.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
I agree with you Keith. They are (increasingly, I think) impressionistic.
Like a very capable and experienced artist working at the height of his powers, who needs only a few brush strokes to paint a remarkably convincing picture.
Just don't look to closely because it spoils the effect.
But the overall effect wins out every time.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
Yep.

That sums my rambling up far more elequently (as I would expect from one of you theatrical types).

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
Alright, alright, I'm going to turn out some Perry metals for an upcoming LPL. I'll try to look at them in a fresh light :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
The odd damaged, miscast or just poorly figure does turn up, and generally in the cardboard boxes rather than the blister packs.

That said, whenever I've had an issue with a figure a replacement pack has turned up in the post without a quibble. One they send a whole pack to replace a missing halbard!

Now getting them to answer an e-mail within a reasonable timeframe is a whole different matter  lol

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
But overall....they must be considered to be heroes of the industry ;)

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »
It's funny, I'm no great painter - adequate "wargames standard" at best -  but I find Perry figures much easier to paint than eg Hasslefrees. I can only manage to finish a couple of the HFs in the time it takes to do a unit of Perrys. In the end, both look the same quality to my eyes when viewed at normal gaming distance :?

I love both figure companies to bits, but am glad the Perry figures are cheaper and easier for doing larger units and that the HFs are usually one-off character figures. At least I stand a chance of getting more stuff finished with the Perrys.

Now getting them to answer an e-mail within a reasonable timeframe is a whole different matter  lol

When I recently e-mailed them enquiring about a specific character figure for their Sudan range, Alan e-mailed back in a couple of hours saying he will be made soon.

You need to send out more positive waves Moriarty! Think "the Perrys e-mails are going to be there" and they will be! lol

(with apologies to Sgt Oddball )