Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aeronef 'basing'  (Read 2046 times)

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
Aeronef 'basing'
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
Just been pondering aeronef and other larger flyers 'basing', for 28mm scale gaming.

I have seen a lot of great looking 'nefs and flyers, that are perhaps let down a little by some large clunky base beneath. I have seem some ariships with clever 'trailing ropes' as a base platform.... But I started pondering about suspending them instead, a bit like a puppeteer might.

I am thinking using monofilament fishing line, with at least a two point attachment to model so it can be turned to face varying directions (and doesnt just spin aimlessly while suspended).
I am thinking some kind of clamp arrangement to side of gaming table and an extendable boom over the table from which 'nef' can be suspended.
It could even have a fishing reel attached so nef could be raised and lowered perhaps, though this may cause problems with two point attachment??

Anyone tried this?
If so any luck with it?

Or am I just a bit mad for even thinking it??? ;-)

regards Scott
(looking at his pile of Brigadegames Prussians and pondering what contraptions to make for them eventually)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:40:39 PM by jscottbowman »

Offline Benny

• Librarian
Re: Aeronef 'basing'
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
I would have to say you are mad for trying personaly. I did one suspended plane on a wargaming table once for a static display and it worked ok, but i was not moving it and it didn't have a crew standing on it.
I can see the problems being needing at least 3 if not 4 lines to suspend it all going to separate boom type pieces as you will need them to control pitch and yaw.
The moving will be fraught with problems because if the crew are not glued on the 'neff and just sitting on bases on top, any bump will move them or maybe knock them off.
Lastly, it will be hard to get accurate movement with the boom around the table.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
Madness is a LAF halmark, but it's a good crazy.

I, for one, think you should go for it, and let us know results with lots of piccies.

I will point out, 1) disposable wine glasses are not uncommon for clear bases, 2) there are some impressively stable r/c mini copters and dirigibles to consider as well.

Okay, 2) Is REALLY mad.

Doug

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
A combination of very light models (foam, balsa/bass wood) and helium balloons for suspension could make a very interesting convention game.  :D

A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that your average 9" (22cm) diameter balloon holds about 6L of helium and should be able to support about 6g. So, you'll need 5 balloons per ounce of weight. These will need to be seriously lightweight models! Fasten the balloons to a weighted base with the finest possible "invisible" thread, which passes through a hole drilled vertically through the hull of each ship, and use a tiny clip on the string below the ship's keel to keep the vessel from sliding down the thread...

Eminently do-able, and completely bonkers!

It would make a great spectacle, especially if you custom-ordered your club's name printed onto the balloons.

Have at it!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:15:16 PM by SBRPearce »
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
Madness is a LAF halmark, but it's a good crazy.

I, for one, think you should go for it, and let us know results with lots of piccies.

I will point out, 1) disposable wine glasses are not uncommon for clear bases, 2) there are some impressively stable r/c mini copters and dirigibles to consider as well.

Okay, 2) Is REALLY mad.

Doug
The disposbale wine glass, is the better style of base I have seen used.

You know, I've just remembered my kid got one of those 'air-hogs' I think it was called - toy R/C helicopters for xmas. I wonder if I could make a real 'Nef at 28mm scale powered by several airhog rotors...
...OK, reaching for the medication bottle now... ;-)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:41:43 PM by jscottbowman »

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
My apologies for not more closely reading the original post - the helium balloon idea is truly crackers for 'nefs sized to 28mm figures.

Not that "truly crackers" is a bad thing necessarily, but I'd really envisioned the scheme more for the little ones.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
I'm looking at a telescopic tv/radio arial set up at the moment. Will post pics when it's up and running.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
I'm looking at a telescopic tv/radio arial set up at the moment. Will post pics when it's up and running.

I've seen a number used with 1/72 planes for the Blue Max/Canvas Eagles/Great War in the Air groups. I was surprised they could take so much weight.

Doug

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Don't know if it can help, but I saw guys using a piano wire (base on a round base) and a sort of paperclip (probably used for Artistic draw sheets or something). The plane was attached to the paperclip, and the paper clip pinching the piano wire, and the gamers were able to change the elevation of the plane, and pivot it also.

It seemed to work great. Of course it was for relatively small models. If you use plastic models (even 25/28mm scale) with a heavy base (with lead on it, for example) it shoud work, maybe ?