Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beach colour help requested!  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Beach colour help requested!
« on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
I am stuck... struggling with various colours when I am trying to get some sandy beach to look right, the issue is, it doesnt, it looks like a lot of things, but not a beach. I am going for some sort of generic caribbean beach sand look.

Any suggestions would be MOST welcome, be it directions to a guide or what ever :(
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Beach colour help requested!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »
Here is a genuine Caribbean beach - if that helps!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »
We are doing something similar at the moment.
We went with using real sand. We plastered down a thick coat of a sandy coloured paint. Then poured sand on top and then shake off the excess. Worked quite well.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
I have some really fine sand (wich I got in a zoo store), and I am planning to use that, I will see how it works on some test bit. Any suggestions for colours?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
Don't shade it too dark as it will look more like ground work, also a tide line will help. Smooth undulations are a must and you could also paint it a bit darker closer to the sea to give the impression of a receding wave.

You could try White as a base coat and wash with tans/very light browns and then lightly highlight with White again.

On the whole a smooth surface is a must, the fine sand you have should work a treat.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
Beeches look all different but for a coral sand beach which one associates with the Carribean (even though I am sure there are different kinds) I think you should do what jay-bee says, go with a uniform light tan colour with little or no shades.  Drybrush with white. This will give the impression of bright sunlight on the beach.

My personal opinion is that sand is not the best medium to use to give the impression of a coral sand at least not on its own. The granularity of coral sand is very fine and a complete cover of even the fines sand will look a more like gravel next to a 28mm. I have used slightly grainy spackling, like the Swedish light concrete 'Husfix' and added wee bit of finest sand I could find in it (a jar of the stuff from Böda Camping, Öland). If you likee you can add a bit of realism by a band of small rocks and pebbles along  where the waves climbs the beach. Coconuts, driftwood and other floatsam and jetsam ends up along the same line which of course always adds a bit of interest to the scenery (half burried chest etc). Below the band of pebbles the sand will be darker and glossy since it is wet, but that is perhaps taking detailing further than you like.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
It was primarely the sand colour in it self that was the problem. I will use resin for water, along with paint of course. Its not the beach line in it self that is the problem, its the very sand colour that doesnt seem to be proper. I will go and botanize in the various game/hobby shops today, and see if I can find something that I like. Thanks for the tips guys!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
It was primarely the sand colour in it self that was the problem. I will use resin for water, along with paint of course. Its not the beach line in it self that is the problem, its the very sand colour that doesnt seem to be proper. I will go and botanize in the various game/hobby shops today, and see if I can find something that I like. Thanks for the tips guys!

OK, sorry, got carried away. Check for a W&N Buff Titanium Acrylic on tube. That's what I'd use.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »
OK, sorry, got carried away. Check for a W&N Buff Titanium Acrylic on tube. That's what I'd use.

Nothing to be sorry about, I think you do a great job when you try to help people out, and giving good tips about stuff. You certianly have the gift of estethics.

I will go and buy that colour tomorrow. I also actually found a GW colour that seems very promising. Foundation Dheneb Stone. A very nice colour.