Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&IW things to come  (Read 146805 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: F&IW things to come
« Reply #645 on: March 24, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »

Of course, I won't be restricting their use to North America in the FIW, there's loads of other potential for them too.  :D
I hope that helps start a few ideas going  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Yep, I think some of them will be on home service in Dorset... ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #646 on: March 24, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »
Lots o Indians in Dorset that is. Seen it meself, sir! :o
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #647 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »
How about a set or two of Frontiersmen?  I'm thinking Natty Bumpo (Hawkeye), Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #648 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Thanks Axabrax  8)

Not a lot of naval engagements in the usual sense, but shore parties from Monongahela to Quebec and beyond, lots of potential for involvement with sloops etc used on the Great Lakes and the more navigable waterways. A couple examples are the contingent from HMS Norwich under Lt Spendlowe with Braddock and the Royal Navy's ongoing involvement in the Lake George-Lake Champlain corridor from 1757. Royal Navy detachments have been used in lieu of or to support the regular army in all sorts of climates and theatres over the centuries, lots of scope for using them.  I'll certainly be using them in coastal raids (real or imaginary) as well as for taking on the enemy and assisting with transport on land and water.   For me they add even more variety to a period with variety of participants in heaps.  Of course, I won't be restricting their use to North America in the FIW, there's loads of other potential for them too.  :D

Remember guys that there are some ships available for the Great Lakes actions from Laser DreamWorks (http://www.laserdreamworks.com/28mm-ships/) that might work nicely for these types of actions.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #649 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »
Nice! Stuff is looking better and better. In what capacity would the sailors show up during the French Indian War? I don't recall coming across that many naval battles or coastal raids, or are they meant for other theaters?

IIRC there was a fair bit of naval raiding against French settlers in Acadia
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #650 on: March 25, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
How about a set or two of Frontiersmen?  I'm thinking Natty Bumpo (Hawkeye), Simon Kenton, Daniel Boone.

Nick, I've thought about a Natty/Hawkeye figure, the only trouble is, which visualisation to go with   :?

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #651 on: March 25, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »
Nick, I've thought about a Natty/Hawkeye figure, the only trouble is, which visualisation to go with   :?

Go for this:

http://s89.photobucket.com/user/einontytar/media/natives/haukansilmaKANSI.jpg.html

Hawkeye series written by Ulf Uller, dunno if they were translated into English.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #652 on: March 25, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »

I think you are saying that wrong! 

Nick, I've thought about a Natty/Hawkeye figure, the only trouble is, which visualisation to go with!!    8)  There are soooo many awesome ones to choose from!!

I might have overdone it with the 'awesome' part as I know that's more of a yank thing.  Why not have a Hawkeye character pack?  6 different Hawkeyes?   I'd buy it, many families intermarried at the time so there would have been many frontiersmen around that wouldn't look out of place.  Basically people love Last of the Mohicans, and FIW players buy LotM figures.  Get in there Lance :)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #653 on: March 25, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Basically a pack of guys in Indian leggings and hunting shirts, maybe 6 different heads, bareheaded, slouch hat, coonskin hat? In advancing poses.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #654 on: March 27, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
Some interesting thoughts there chaps  :)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #655 on: March 27, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
Already quite happy with the new French Marines, but I agree that a LOTM pack would do down nicely.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #656 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »
Yes a LOTM pack would be very welcome. ;D

I'd probably suggest going with the Daniel Day lewis look and definitely include Uncus and Chingachgook.

In the meantime i've just made some alterations to the Redoubt ones and will try and get them painted up soon.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #657 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. They're really nice figures, and it's great to see anything that hasn't already been done many times before for the FiW.

Speaking of which, if you're going to do LoTM, I wouldn't copy the movie figs as that's already been done very well by another company. Frankly, I'd rather see personalities from the Monongahela or some other historical engagement rather than from literature...

Thanks Axabrax  8)

Not a lot of naval engagements in the usual sense, but shore parties from Monongahela to Quebec and beyond, lots of potential for involvement with sloops etc used on the Great Lakes and the more navigable waterways. A couple examples are the contingent from HMS Norwich under Lt Spendlowe with Braddock and the Royal Navy's ongoing involvement in the Lake George-Lake Champlain corridor from 1757. Royal Navy detachments have been used in lieu of or to support the regular army in all sorts of climates and theatres over the centuries, lots of scope for using them  :)
I'll certainly be using them in coastal raids (real or imaginary) as well as for taking on the enemy and assisting with transport on land and water.
For me they add even more variety to a period with variety of participants in heaps.
Of course, I won't be restricting their use to North America in the FIW, there's loads of other potential for them too.  :D

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #658 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
the movie figs as that's already been done very well by another company

That's a matter of opinion.  I haven't seen a set I like yet and I've seen all the ones that are available.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #659 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Conquest miniatures perhaps!!