Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Da Green Tide is coming! (Piratical Orc pictures 'n' stuff) (updated 7-4-11)  (Read 11887 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Da Green Tide is coming! (Piratical Orc pictures 'n' stuff)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
Only paintjob of that giant spider I've seen that actually makes sense! Good job on the lot, all is good - except I don't like the basing. That's my problem though, not yours. =D
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
And more of my Boyz....starting with a Savage shaman...

And a White Squig...very dangerous, they follow Orc ships, waiting for scraps of meat and unlucky Goblins.  In Warhammer terms, I use this for the new Mangler Squigs, which are an uncontrolled base model that is pointed in one direction, and pretty much moves randomly from there, like a bigger version of the Goblin Fanatic.  I want to do another one using a great white shark model, but I haven't found a version I like, with the mouth wide open in attack position so that I can have it throwing an empire footman out of the water like a seal.  This one is made from the Reaper Burrowing Horror, with a thin green stuff skin to smooth it out.

And then, of course, is the product of a slightly inebriated discussion with a friend of mine, who told me to name my Orc Kaptin Ahab, or some variation thereof, and be on the hunt for the Great White Squig.  The bastard knows that setting an idea like that into my head means I'll do it - but not finding any models I liked to convert, I used foam and wood putty, with a healthy helping of green stuff, to make this.  I am by no means a great sculptor, but I am not too embarrassed by this result.  Presenting, Morky Dick, the Great White Squig.

And a shot for scale.

More yet to come...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Really like the burrowing squigs! Will look a bit odd on a green pasture with those watery bases, but who cares eh? Love the creativity going into this!

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
that giant hermit crab is genius!
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
This whole project is just brilliant.  I can't believe I've missed it until now. The crab is my favorite and so well done.  Great work.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
And here we are, the last of the updates for a while, as I move to another project. I made this army for a Warhammer Fantasy tournament that is held locally that encourages non-standard armies and themed armies instead of your usual beardy-gitness that overwhelms other tournaments.

My second unit of trolls - I love these. Of any of the plastics sets that GW has dropped in the last 5 years, these guys rank in my top 3 along with the Bloodcrushers and the Dark Elf Corsairs.

And the last Black Orc, using a Foundry Ogre.

My unit filler for the third unit - made deliberately to taunt one of my favorite opponents, who, while he pummels everyone else mercilessly, has a tough time with my greenskins.  And after the 4th time I ran down his Wood Elf sorceress's unit in 4 games, I put this together.

After all, what better way to start a fire than with a WOOD elf?

And some more boys.  I painted 72 of these guys for the army - I am done with green skin for a while.

And to finish up, my army carrying tray / terrain piece, the Green Tide.

I plan on doing a bit more work on it later, but for now I need a break from Orc Pirates, so I amj going to start a Slaanesh Daemon army, and do some Norwegian VSF stuff, and maybe some more Fallout models.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Well call me Ishmael! Wonderful stuff!

Any chances of a Halfling version of Captain Pugwash and his crew?  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Probably not - no real desire for Halfings, other than as the other OTHER white meat...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Inspired stuff! And to see it through to the end is worthy of praise too.

I plan on doing a bit more work on it later, but for now I need a break from Orc Pirates

Sure you don't want some of my goblins to add to them?  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
That will be quite enough of that, sir.  I am having enough trouble not justifying a purchase of those dwarves - and I have never been a big dwarf fan. I just find that they would look nice with my old Marauder era dwarves...but nope, not gonna do it.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Absolute Genius! o_o
I love the way your mind works.
You obviously have a great sense of humour.
Keep up the good work, the whole project is stunning and the crab is just amazing.
My particular favourites are the Goblin crew on the crab, though.
Sheer brilliance!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
gotcha! ^^

That one is really nice, too. Actually I think Your's bigger (just a little bit, I guess ... maybe ... double ^^). But it also quite looks like You, too, copied some design from the UnchartedSea-Idea, huh? I think, they really gave nice impressions with their models. A pitty that this game is a little bit put aside after the coming-out of DystopianWars.

However ... I also think, the outcome of a battle between our boats is not easy to determine! I gues I do not want to be in Your front, whereas You should avoid being at my (broad)side. And ... I do not need the wind ... hnhnhn ... really - GREAT stuff!

thanks for sharing and espeacially good wishes today ;)
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
VERY COOL STUFF! I'm chiming in so late on this thread it's impossible to single out favorite minis. Your painting is TERRIFIC & you brought the Piratical Theme to life WONDERFULLY...keep up the FINE WORK!

For some ideas/inspiration, you might enjoy checking out Warboss Kurgan's Pirates:  http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t475-warbosskurgan-s-orc-pirates  ...or not.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:33:05 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
Re: Da Green Tide is coming! (Piratical Orc pictures 'n' stuff)
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
He is a Foundry Ogre, actually - their ogres are barely Orc-sized by modern day standards.
Youc an find them sold as both in fact, first they where Orcs and now they are Ogres.
I got some of these miniatures many years ago from Foundry, they where sold as Mercenary Orc Characters, one per blister including some critters (snotling-like) and small scenery items, last week I sold some of those old blisters (labelled as Orcs).
At some moment, on the past, Foundry relabelled them as Ogres and now are sold two by blister, no more bits or snotlings inside the blister :-(
I suppose they made the changed when the new Foundry orcs where released.

Congratulations Sinewgrab this army is really cool, i really like the conversions, the cannons with the squigs waiting to be fired are so funny!  lol