Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sudanese Infantry?  (Read 12761 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Sudanese Infantry?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
They've finally arrived and they look pretty big. Oh well, bang goes that idea. I think that sinks the whole project, because I'm thoroughly sick of converting.  :-[

I'll do some comparison pics later on today so you can judge for yourself.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »
Thanks  :(

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
Bugger.  That sort of thing does rather take the wind out of one's sails, so my commiserations.

Sudanese do tend to be rather tall folk, at least all the ones I've met are. There's always Essex if you want something more dimunitive.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
That's a pity twice... I was hoping they'll work out for you and also looking forward to seeing your conversion.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Sorry for the delay, haven't really had my hobby head on for the past week or so.

Some shots next to a few of the figures I plan to use in the project:

Next to Perry Mahdist.

Converted Perry.

Converted Perry.

Brigade Vickers crew.

Perry Mahdist.

Perry Bazinger.

I can do shots with some other manufacturers' figs if you want and if I've got them.

Weird thing is, I know they say the camera never lies, but in these shots they mostly don't look too bad together. But here in this room looking at them with my own eyes the Redoubt figures seem massive next to them somehow. I don't pretend to understand what's going on there.

They aren't exactly the nicest sculpts I've ever held either. But I'm coming round to the idea of using them anyway. Do the traditional thing of keeping them to their own units and just pretending that everything's okay.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 01:51:25 PM »
Weird thing is, I know they say the camera never lies, but in these shots they mostly don't look too bad together. But here in this room looking at them with my own eyes the Redoubt figures seem massive next to them somehow. I don't pretend to understand what's going on there.

They aren't exactly the nicest sculpts I've ever held either. But I'm coming round to the idea of using them anyway. Do the traditional thing of keeping them to their own units and just pretending that everything's okay.  :)

Very odd! They do look compatible (or enough to get away with) in terms of size. The one next to the Perry Mahdist in "turban" and sleeveless robe is almost exactly in scale  :?

The only problem, judging by the photos, would be the differences in the rifles.  The Redoubts' do look much bigger, which is a minus point for me. The style of sculpting doesn't look too promising, but I'm sure with your nifty brushwork you'll bring them up to the standard of the others.

I'm still looking forward to seeing how they look painted in one of your game reports  :D

The more I see of your converted Perrys, though, the more attractive a proposition they look to be.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
That is odd indeed. I was just about ready to question your decision, but you seem as baffled by this as we are. :D I am certain though, that if unpainted they make such an ambivalent impression, painted they'll improve their compatibility considerably. They are not bad as a product though. Pleasantly surprised actually.

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »
I've got some Redoubt  colonial rocketeers and perry camel corps...the difference in size is tremendous. It's a lot more noticeable than these photos would suggest.  The Redoubt figures are towering.

I actually like the Redoubt figures better but, I'm guessing I'm in the minority on that one.

The conversions are excellent by the way.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:42 AM »
I think they look bloody massive and would never consider using them. But, that's me. ::)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
I'm gonna have to back up from assessment that the Redoubt figures are huge up against the Perry figures.

I put a Redoubt highlander next to a Perry Camel Corps figure and the difference is really not that great.  In fact if the Perry figure wasn't leaning forward they almost be exactly the same height...rifles and canteens are almost the same too.

I don't know what's going on.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
I'm gonna have to back up from assessment that the Redoubt figures are huge up against the Perry figures.

I put a Redoubt highlander next to a Perry Camel Corps figure and the difference is really not that great.  In fact if the Perry figure wasn't leaning forward they almost be exactly the same height...rifles and canteens are almost the same too.

....and yet the Beja are noticeably different:

I don't know what's going on.

Neither do I, but I'm used to that  lol

Offline Nighthawk

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 01:05:44 AM »
Sorry Plunkes, can't help you with any other choices. But I just have to say I agree with you about a lot of Old Glory models. Wish they'd get with the program and start to do a better job.  :-[

Offline efredbar

• Bookworm
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 04:57:51 AM »
....and yet the Beja are noticeably different:

Neither do I, but I'm used to that  lol

It's gotten even more confusing. 

I got some Redoubt infantry from the Zulu War...GIANTS compared to Perry figs.  So, I thought the Redoubt Sudan range must be smaller (they actually seem fine next to Perry Camel Corps) but, after seeing that I'm completely confused again...as usual :).

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
I'm knocking on the head the idea of using these Redoubt figures. The size difference is something I could have lived with had they been killer sculpts. But too big and horrid mishapen lumpy-head men is a no-no.

So if anyone wants them they may have them for nothing with my compliments. I have about sixteen of them. EU gets first dibs. If nobody from the EU wants them I'll send them further afield. In the (highly likely if you people have got any sense) event that no bugger at all wants them, then I shall bury them in the garden in a circle around Terry the Goldfish's grave for future archaeologists to ponder.

"Well, this seems to be the first high-status burial of the Goldfish Culture we've discovered, Tony. None of the others have been found with grave goods. It will totally redefine our view of their society."

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
That's a shame! Looks like lots of filing and green-stuffing for you, then  :)

I'd take them off your hands, but they wouldn't go with my Perrys, more's the pity.

then I shall bury them in the garden in a circle around Terry the Goldfish's grave for future archaeologists to ponder.

It could be the basis for future ufologists' conspiracy theories of little lumpy aliens invading our planet, only to be stopped by our plucky goldfish chums, fighting to the last ..err.. fish and hushed up by Tory Dave not wanting a mass-panic :?