Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Encounter at Casa Rawnsla  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Encounter at Casa Rawnsla
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
Hi  Björn,

Yes seems I played it as per the rules then, I left the Carlists in place in the casa so as to deny it to the enemy, ie. make them fight for it. I suppose I am used to rules that make you test every time you take casualties after a certain amount have been taken. On this note should they test again when they get further suppressions anyway? Can't see that you have to in rules.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:53:57 AM »
Once they are pinned  they don t have to test again.

If they are not pinned for instance and have more suppression than figures they have to test again every time they get new suppression.

Anyway...this morale thing is a tricky thing in lots of rules. And I tried to keep it simple LoL ;)

Thanks that you took the time for describing the gaming question to me.

best regards
Björn

, ,

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
Your pinned unit is very vulnerable though if you leave it pinned. It cannot fire and if it is charged there is (depending on the quality of the pinned troops) a fairly good chance that it will be destroyed on contact (definitely WILL happen if they are Raw troops, maybe not such a good idea to charge if they are Elite, and a bit of a gamble if they are Veteran, but still worth a try as there will still be lots of suppression in effect).

Your opponent should have charged them once they were pinned. He missed a trick there, I fancy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:36:08 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
Sounds like quite a realistic situation though. Troops in a building under suppressive fire are unlikely to risk exposure to shoot back, nor likely to swap the cover for the open and are more likely to just keep their heads down. They might risk leaving through the rear of the building if it was judged to be safe, but otherwise would just occupy the real estate until an assault made them decide finally to stay or go. Of course they could be ordered to retire and re-group, but 'hug cover' seems to be a common default setting for troops of any period until somebody comes around to tell them different. 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
I think Phil's issue is not so much with the idea that they get their heads down and do nothing, but the fact that in T&T you only run away if you try to rally from pinned and fail. There is no "routing" status. So he felt his best tactic was just to leave them pinned as a potential obstacle to his opponent, rather than risking them running and vacating the position. Most games are not like that. I thought it a bit odd when I first played the game, but soon got used to it.

I usually rationalise it by imagining that they are just keeping their heads down and trying not to think about things too much until some NCO or officer actually tries to get them fighting again. If he fails his inspiring speech it dawns on them that they might be better off somewhere else.

"C'mon, get up! You bums wanna live forever?"

"Er.... (thinking about it) ...yes. Bye!!"
  :)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback chaps, it helps make the situation clearer and making sense now.

The Republican's did not need to charge in the end, some really good dice results ended with the Carlist militia having just the leader and a hero left, by which time the only remaining full unit on the Nationalist side was a raw Falangist militia unit.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
I think Phil's issue is not so much with the idea that they get their heads down and do nothing, but the fact that in T&T you only run away if you try to rally from pinned and fail. There is no "routing" status. So he felt his best tactic was just to leave them pinned as a potential obstacle to his opponent, rather than risking them running and vacating the position. Most games are not like that. I thought it a bit odd when I first played the game, but soon got used to it.

I usually rationalise it by imagining that they are just keeping their heads down and trying not to think about things too much until some NCO or officer actually tries to get them fighting again. If he fails his inspiring speech it dawns on them that they might be better off somewhere else.

"C'mon, get up! You bums wanna live forever?"

"Er.... (thinking about it) ...yes. Bye!!"
 :)

Yup, I think you have nailed it there Plynkes old chap.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:49:07 PM by Phil Robinson »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind comment.

I think the SCW range is pretty much complete, apart from artillery perhaps. Do you have plans for any additions in the near future?

The range is far from complete as we see it and will carry on with new releases for many years. There are lots of opening for more character packs. We have for example a French 75 and an Italian truck. Both need crew. We have two more buildings on the way. Also plans for other packs ranging from Nationalist command to medics. Plus regular Spanish army which needs significant treatment. Just a case of finding the time.....and the development money  ;)

We have been gaming it recently to get ideas. Great fun. :)   

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
The range is far from complete as we see it and will carry on with new releases for many years. There are lots of opening for more character packs. We have for example a French 75 and an Italian truck. Both need crew. We have two more buildings on the way. Also plans for other packs ranging from Nationalist command to medics. Plus regular Spanish army which needs significant treatment. Just a case of finding the time.....and the development money  ;)

We have been gaming it recently to get ideas. Great fun. :)   

Thats good to know, can't help with developement money though :( I have all the figures in stock, just need the time to paint them all.

Will keep posting though and hopefully encourage others to take the plunge.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
Thats good to know, can't help with developement money though :( I have all the figures in stock, just need the time to paint them all.

Will keep posting though and hopefully encourage others to take the plunge.

"BRICKS! BRICKS!"

I'd rather the development funds went on the Zulu War or the 1st Boer War myself, but I don't begrudge you a few more Nationalists, Phil. After all, based on most of our games you'll need them.... :D
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

I'd rather the development funds went on the Zulu War or the 1st Boer War myself, but I don't begrudge you a few more Nationalists, Phil. After all, based on most of our games you'll need them.... :D
David

You had better get buying more Zulu's then :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Well, I like Phil's SCW and I like Dave's Zulus.   :D

But which is best?   ???

Only one way to find out.    o_o

Fightttttttttt!    lol lol

(With apologies to Harry Hill)    ;)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
Well, I like Phil's SCW and I like Dave's Zulus.   :D

But which is best?   ???

Only one way to find out.    o_o

Fightttttttttt!    lol lol

(With apologies to Harry Hill)    ;)
More like Benny Hill in your case, John! lol