Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Progress on a Convention game project or Testament to the Criminal insanity.  (Read 23341 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Impressive - and reassuring since I am in the throes of a similar project, though not as far along as you.  But I have a slightly better hold on my sanity - I'm doing it in 15 mm!  (well, only slightly)

How many towns, etc?  I plan on five towns: British, French, Spanish, Dutch, and Pirate, plus a couple of native villages and some other locations - islands to maroon, islands to bury treasure, sunken reefs to cause shipwrecks, etc.  I'm anxiously awaiting the new Blue Moon Africa range this summer to populate my native villages.  Also, how many ships to you anticipate in your game?  Rules planned?

Very nice work.  Hope to see the posted photos after the convention.  28' x 8'?  Wow!

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
FifteensAway,
Sounds like you've been Playing Sid Meire's Pirates also  :)
I have about 16 ships, 10 are finished. I have two towns in the works. a cannibal Island, a nice Shipwreck shallows in the works, a completed random Island for marooning, a lost Mayan ruin in the works, and have toyed with the idea of a Spanish fort and a Small Dutch trading town. Most will not be complete on the first run of the game. The rules I wrote. The game system is set up for Man to Man, Mob/formation, ship to ship and Ship to shore Battles. It has about the same complexity as Full Thrust if your familiar with that system. The Game I'm running at the convention is less combat oriented and more goal motivated. Merchants and pirates collect gold, Governors trade for goods, cannibals gain points by eating people. Each are worth points and in the end the one with the most points walks away with a prize, probably one of the small "Old Glory" Ships. The worst pirate also will end up with a special prize suggested by a friend of mine fitting the sailing skills displayed.        

Wingnut
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:46:09 PM by Wingnut »
Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Wow, looks impressive.  Even more impressive is that you convinced a convention to hand over that much table space!  It's not like Border Wars is the largest convention in the world or anything...!  You must have run some pretty good games for them before to get them to fork over this amount of room to you!!!

Good luck!  Keep the pictures coming!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Wingnut,

Yes, Sid's game is what fills the down time when I need a pirate fix.  I, too, have 16 ships - all with crews.  And what really gives me a kick is many of the crews (48 figures each) are all unique figures - but duplicate figures in other crews.  Staying tuned...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Wonderful ambition. Great execution. Coming together beautifully. Love the textured panels for the sea... Wonder if they are available here in the UK...  ::)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
What are you using for the water?
Florescent light panel covers. I spray paint blotches in two tones of blue on the smooth side then turn the textured side up. They come in 4ft by 2ft sections for about $7 a panel.   

I've been looking for such items but they are hard to come by here...

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
Amazon Has them:
http://www.amazon.com/Plaskolite-1420083A-Cracked-Acrylic-Lighting/dp/B000V28HO8
 The shipping cost stinks but it does at least give you the info you need for stock numbers. I think lowe's and Home Depot may do international shipping. If you took the stock numbers in to a local building supply place I would bet they could order them.

Wingnut
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:45:14 PM by Wingnut »

Offline LB

• Lurker
Great looking boards, just a quick question about the palm trees where did you get them? :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:50:21 AM by LB »
"Oderint, dum metuant"

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Don't know if it would help, but the Games Workshop, when they built their skull island board, used builders chaulk/ White silicon for waves and to hide the joins between cliffs and the water. It really looked the part!

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
On Palm trees:
I originally found them in a Junk store in South Carolina but managed to track them back to a distribution company for cake supplies I think somewhere in Ohio. I inquired about a bulk order from the local store Called Wilson's Five and Dime in Greenville, SC. They had never had such a request so the humored me and asked how many I wanted. I said "Give me what ever $100 dollars would buy..." They agreed and ordered them. I received about a week later a  in a tattered cardboard box from China 17 lbs (7.71 Kilos) of plastic palm trees.

The Caulk is a good idea, I may have to experiment with it in the future. The whole thing is a transportable (Believe it or not) convention game so I will have to find a way to hide the seems with out fusing the pieces together.       

I built the Cannibal Island today and cleaned up a bunch of other things. Will try to post by Sunday night....

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Man, you got to stop building this fast, I am getting rashes here.

Could you perhaps take a picture of one of the palms please? I found some while browsing the internet, but I would love more cheapo palms! :)
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
(Picture Update)
Two of the islands are for the most part finished. The Seedy French port and the Cannibal Island.

Someone had Spanish for Dinner

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
Photo update Part 2
The French Port of Fort-Nicanville

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
    • F.F.o.S.
On Palm trees....
This is how they start out.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Wow! Where do you manage to store all this stuff?