Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Her Majesty's Land Ship "Elizabeth"  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Her Majesty's Land Ship "Elizabeth"
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
It's true, there's a whole bunch of GW Walkers pressed into VSF service - the Sacramento boys seem very fond of them in particular. I have the odd Rhino, Dreadnaught and Sentinel pressed into VSF service, but I don't think there's any pics of them on Lead Adventurers - they're mostly still '40k ready' and don't have suitable rivets and British Ensigns.

I really like the tank - especially the top off the water-bottle used as the cupola.

The 'dozer blade (what does 'dozer' actually mean? Anyone know? I realise it's a contraction of 'bulldozer', but, why '...dozer' in the first place? Just wondering...) anyway, the big shovelly thing could also be used for clearing Cytherean Ironwood trees of course. Very hard to shift otherwise, so I'm told.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
The 'dozer blade (what does 'dozer' actually mean? Anyone know? I realise it's a contraction of 'bulldozer', but, why '...dozer' in the first place? Just wondering...) anyway, the big shovelly thing could also be used for clearing Cytherean Ironwood trees of course. Very hard to shift otherwise, so I'm told.

Wikipedia is your friend, especially when Google directs you there. ;->=

* 19th century: term used in engineering for a horizontal forging press.
    * 1886: "bulldozer" meant a large-caliber pistol and the person who wielded it.
    * Around 1880: In the USA, a "bull-dose" was a large and efficient dose of any sort of medicine or punishment. 'Bull-dosing' meant a severe whipping or coercion, or other intimidation such as at gunpoint.
    * Late 19th century: "bulldozing" meant using big force to push over or through any obstacle.
    * 1930s: applied to the vehicle.

Doug

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
As it was quite a nice day today, I took some photos outside.
While my photo skills are still pretty basic, hopefully you'll indulge me and allow me this picture of the steamtank and walker together.

Maybe I should have thought of it a bit earlier in the day when it was a bit brighter though?

@ The_Beast - the Dark Eldar raiders do look quite useful, don't they? And no, the funnel etc. aren't removable. Haven't played 40K in a very long time, although I'm still quite fond of the background and some of the fiction, mainly the Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain books.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Actually, I think it looks worse alongside the walker - the turret looks even smaller in that picture. If the walker can only accomodate 1 crewman, how do you fit a guncrew and ammo into the chimera turret?

Might be a case for limiting the hull gun to either a single shot weapon - perhaps loaded with cannister? or have it very slow loading (there's not a lot of space next to the running gear).

Some ventilation might be useful too- otherwise the stokers at the base of that funnel will probably expire in the heat. (A rule that featured in local games from years back - most of our vehicles travelled open topped as long as possible to keep the crew at least semi-conscious)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:50 PM »
Done a bit of googling on early tanks, and now I'm not so sure I agree about the turret.
This one looks a bit cramped too, although the guns not so large:-

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:36:32 PM by Elprez »

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »
Didn't think you were,  :).
I googled for images of early tanks precisely because of the feedback, (and some of the designs I found are bizarre,  lol).
I was surprised how small the turret on this one was.
All comments and suggestions are welcome, and I'm taking them all onboard, bearing in mind the kits I'm working with are GW Chimeras and Leman Russes.
I might put a Leman Russ turret on the next Chimera, but I'll have to change the main gun.
I'm definitely going to "borrow" Bullshotts take on the Leman Russ, which luckily would leave me with a spare turret,  :D.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:08:25 AM by Elprez »

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
Many 40K vehicles are WW1 inspires, so can be converted into VSF vehicles.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
Yeah, the turret (otherwise a smashing job, well done).  You might consider this one

http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=289

From Ramshackle Games, £ 2.50...

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
The Ft17 is a wonderful tank, but very cramped even with a small gun.
If you ever get the chance to see a real one, they look a bit like a bath duck and are tiny.
But on the other hand, they aren't steam powered and don't have huge guns.

No criticism of your work, it's the original model designer that was a lazy arse.
About the only GW vehicle that I have any time for is the Basilisk, but again it doesn't have any space to carry ammo (although being open topped you can at least see if crew figures fit on it.)