Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thrilling Tales: Air Pirates  (Read 3351 times)

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
Thrilling Tales: Air Pirates
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »
I have a vague plan from a campaign set in Tibet: Lots of opportunity for daring adventurers to try and foil their dastardly plots, probably involving Nazi occultists, Tibetan vampires, weather control machines, airships, ancient power-scrolls and a magical gold coin that once belonged to the Dali Lama....

I must admit I'm very disappointed with the paint-jobs. They look a lot nicer in real life without the horrible effect of a flash! But now they are not my "current" entry in the Painting League I feel that I can post some more images of the Air Pirates:

The group:

Air Pirate Captain McBride:

Air Pirate with a Grenade Launcher (converted from the Grapple Launcher)

The Non-Coms

The Rank-and-file troops

Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 03:24:23 PM »
Very nice work!

Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
Very nice, I empathise with your worries about the photography, thought I had it sussed but still lots to do to get mine right (ignoring the fact my painting is mediocre at best).

Your sky pirates are great, varnish is our devil, I too like a good "safe" coating, this sometimes gives the appearnace of a satin finish when pictures are taken but, and this is a big but, it protects them well when handling the figures. :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
Maybe you could try taking the photo before adding the varnish ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:06 PM »
WB - I always really liked the colour scheme you used on these figures.

Must admit though, the shiny finish and the flash combined, don't do justice to the brushwork.

I'm slowly progressing with my photography... I've now learned to use the timed shutter release (so no wobble and blurring). And I take the pics in daylight right by a window, and don't use a flash. I tried doing that thing with two lamps, and adjusting the 'white balance', and all the pics came out orange!  
:(

Anyway, keep at it! (And ask for a nice digital camera with all the right features for Christmas! I'm going to ask for some Sky Pirates!  :wink: )

BTW,  I had a varnish disaster with my current WWII league entry... I dragged too much matt agent up from the bottom of the Ronseal tin, and when the guy in the beret dried out, he was covered in white splodges! Classic beginners' error, but it hasn't happened to me for years. Fortunately, these days I give all my figures a coat of gloss hard spray varnish first for added protection, so was able to swab off most of the matt varnish with white spirit... But if you look closely, you can see he's a bit pasty-looking compared with the others... Ah well, you live and learn... :oops:

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:30:39 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
BTW,  I had a varnish disaster with my current WWII league entry... I dragged too much matt agent up from the bottom of the Ronseal tin, and when the guy in the beret dried out, he was covered in white splodges! Classic beginners' error, but it hasn't happened to me for years. Fortunately, these days I give all my figures a coat of gloss hard spray varnish first for added protection, so was able to swab off most of the matt varnish with white spirit... But if you look closely, you can see he's a bit pasty-looking compared with the others... Ah well, you live and learn... :oops:

Forget all that Ronseal and Blackfriars nonsense and get a bottle of Galeria Matt Acrylic varnish. It dries absolutely dead flat and no need to gloss first (it's a myth that gloss varnish is tougher than matt).

Pat

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
Pat

Thanks. I shall give it a go. Where do you get it? Art shops?

Richard

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:08 AM »
I'm going to have to look into getting some matt varnish and a daylight lamp for photographing models! :)

WB - I always really liked the colour scheme you used on these figures.
Thanks! It's a basecoat of Charadon Granite with a mid-tone of Adeptus Battlegrey (both from the Citadel "Foundation Paints" range).

:mrgreen:

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Pat

Richard

Richard
Most art shops do it. It's made by Winsor & Newton. Ken Bromley is the best place on line (and his series 7 brushes are the cheapest out there). Give the bottle a good shake.
Pat

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »
Pat

Richard

You can order it from here:

http://www.ziggyart.co.uk/products/mediums_and_varnishes/acrylic_mediums_and_varnishes/
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
Quote from: "TadPortly"
Pat

Richard

You can order it from here:

http://www.ziggyart.co.uk/products/mediums_and_varnishes/acrylic_mediums_and_varnishes/

that one?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
thanks all!  :wink: