Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Force on Force  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Tabletop Warrior

• Student
  • Once a Marine... you know the rest.
Force on Force
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:36:27 AM »
My copy of Force on Force arrived yesterday from the great folks at Ambush Alley Games!  This rulebook looks great!  Very high quality publication.  If you are already familiar with the rules, there are no surprises.  Just lots of good stuff.  If not, then you are in for a treat!  This game just has a very realistic feel to it, yet it plays fast.  

I have to admit I spotted two typos within the first few pages and got worried.  But I have scanned the entire book and completed a detailed read of about the first third of the book.  The two typos were insignificant and the rest of the book seems clean.

I highly recommend the new Force on Force rulebook.

Tabletop Warrior
"In victory, you deserve champagne; in defeat, you need it.
                                           -Napolean Bonaparte-

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
Re: Force on Force
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:21:57 AM »
It's good to hear the quality is top notch.  I'm really looking forward to Tomorrow's War to come out after the summer too!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
Yes! that means mine should arive in the week :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Peril Planet

• Schoolboy
    • Nathan Russell
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
Excellent to hear! I am very much looking forward to the release of Tomorrow's War - especially since I missed out on the pre-release PDF. :(
I write stuff. Sometimes about games! http://nathanrussell.net

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
Did the rules get any better?
The last time i tried it, it was an exercise in dice rolling with little to no action.

Offline Tabletop Warrior

• Student
  • Once a Marine... you know the rest.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »
Well, I guess that is a matter of opinion.  But I play a lot of games.  Whether I am rolling to hit, wound, and armor save or some other system, it usually involves the vagaries of dice.  So if the first time you play and the dice are unkind, that might leave an unfavorable impression of the game. 

I find Force on Forde games are very exciting.  My 14 year old son has also played a number of different games, including a lot of 40k.  He also finds the current version of Force on Force to be the most exciting game we play.  Perhaps part of it is how casualties are handled.  You don't just remove models, you check to see if your trooper is dead, seriously wounded, lightly wounded, or just knocked down.  And then you have to deal with them.  This makes the game much more enganging.  There are even campaign rules, so you can if they return to duty or are sent home.

Perhaps, you have to be deeply interested in modern combat and the folks who fight.  In my opinion, this game gives a faithful impression that leaves you with a deep respect for those who LIVE it.  If you liked the TV show The Unit, or have read personal accounts of people who have fought in Iraq or Afghanistan, you are probably the type of person who will like this game.

But that is only my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Offline Golan2072

• Scientist
    • The Space Cockroach's Hideout
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
How easy are these rules to pick up for someone who likes fast and loose rules (like my spouse)?
Visit my Ultra-Modern 15mm wargaming fictional-nation blog: Valieskan Civil War!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
I found the rules to be quite straightforward. Learning how to play the game is a little harder. I haven't got the new set yet, but was quite happy with the old one. From what I've seen, people tend to struggle with some of the concepts and then try to play it like other wargame rules that they have played, and it doesn't work. I like them and think that they are easy to pick up. They are very unforgiving against poor tactics and your little lead heroes have a degree of self-preservation and humanity for their team mates, that can be infuriating at times.

They get my vote!  :)

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
I got my copy yesterday and have just had a quick read. Looks promising though, really good production values.

Now I just need to paint up some miniatures for it... :D