Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures The Sudan Cavalry Questions  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
  • "Now I have a machinegun. HO HO HO."
    • http://chucksnapwargames.blogspot.com/
Perry Miniatures The Sudan Cavalry Questions
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions regarding some of the Perry Sudan range cavalry figures, particularly the 19th Hussar packs:

1. Does anyone know if these figures have carbines as well as sabers? I know they have sabers from pictures, but I can't ell if they also have carbines.

2. Size wise, how do they compare to cavalry models of other manufacturers? I'm not too picky, but if they're really small compared to others then they won't work.

Thanks in advance!

Cadet13

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Re: Perry Miniatures The Sudan Cavalry Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:43 AM »
I use Perry figures alongside Old Glory no problems. A bit small beside Bicorne and a bit bigger than RAFM. I have a Perry officer commanding my Old glory cavalry brigade. He looks fine.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »
Two mounted officers. The RN officer is Perry, the Infantry one Foundry:

Naval officers. Chap in hat, Copplestone, holding sword Perry:

As to carbines, the Bengal Lancers certainly carry them, but I can't find any pics of the right-hand side of their British cavalry. I would be 99.9% certain they would be carrying them, as the range is rigorously accurate:

They are sadly not my figures, as apart from officers, I don't yet own any Perry cavalry  :(

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions regarding some of the Perry Sudan range cavalry figures, particularly the 19th Hussar packs:

1. Does anyone know if these figures have carbines as well as sabers? I know they have sabers from pictures, but I can't ell if they also have carbines.

2. Size wise, how do they compare to cavalry models of other manufacturers? I'm not too picky, but if they're really small compared to others then they won't work.

Thanks in advance!

Cadet13

The 10th Hussars have them, I'd assume the 19th do as well.

Depends who you're going to be using them with! As already mentioned, they fit well with OG, Foundry etc, but look decidedly out of place next to Copplestone - although, so do most ranges.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
thanks guys! based on those comparison pics and some of the minis that I have, I think that they will workd for me size wise. I just wish that I could find a picture of their right side...  :?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
The 10th Hussars have them, I'd assume the 19th do as well.

Depends who you're going to be using them with! As already mentioned, they fit well with OG, Foundry etc, but look decidedly out of place next to Copplestone - although, so do most ranges.

I assume you mean Copplestone horses are larger than Perry, as the humans look compatible to me. Mixing different sized horses in the same unit might look odd, but used in discrete units would look ok.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
From my experience Perry minis work well with Copplestone, lots of people seem to have an opinion that they are drastically smaller but I really haven't found that to be the case and I'm quite picky when it comes to things like that.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
From my experience Perry minis work well with Copplestone, lots of people seem to have an opinion that they are drastically smaller but I really haven't found that to be the case and I'm quite picky when it comes to things like that.

See my pic in the previous post. ;)

I've been banging on about this for ages, but as you say, there seems to be a general perception of small size with the Perrys. They are a bit more slender than Copplestone etc, but not enough to look out of place and weapons, webbing etc are very close.

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
The 19th have carbines on their right leg as well, just like the Bengal lancers.
I have the models here in front of me.

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

I've been banging on about this for ages, but as you say, there seems to be a general perception of small size with the Perrys. They are a bit more slender than Copplestone etc, but not enough to look out of place and weapons, webbing etc are very close.

That's good to hear (and see). :)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »

I see your photograph, and raise you one of my own!

From left to right: Cat, Copplestone, Perry, Eureka and Dixon.
Copplestone are huge! Everything about them (especially, in my opinion, the weapons) is out of scale with Perry.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »
Copplestone are huge! Everything about them (especially, in my opinion, the weapons) is out of scale with Perry.

Maybe, but they work together okay as far as I'm concerned. In fact the two in your picture look all right together to me. Must be a difference of perception.

Copps on the left, Perry on the right (with a new head that actually makes the figure shorter than the original head did).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

former user

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
the copplestone heads are sometimes bulkier and out of proportion as opposed to perry which are closer to natural

Offline Cadet13

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
The 19th have carbines on their right leg as well, just like the Bengal lancers.
I have the models here in front of me.

Thanks Buzgob, that answers my question! :)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
the copplestone heads are sometimes bulkier and out of proportion as opposed to perry which are closer to natural
Yes, indeed. It's not the height per see, but the scale; they're very bulky. Admittedly, I am somewhat more picky about this than others, but personally I would not use them together. A matter of opinion.