Forum > Future Wars

Recommend me a Ruleset

(1/6) > >>

Golan2072:
I'm looking for a good ruleset to run a wide variety of wargames with.

My needs are:

1) Relatively simple and easy to learn. I want to play wargames with my spouse, and she likes her rules light both in RPGs as well as in wargames.

2) Works well with 15mm, my favorite scale.

3) Covers a wide range of modern and futuristic settings. I want to use similar rules to play WWII, Ultra-Modern, Post-Apocalyptic and (relatively 'hard') Sci-Fi games.

4) Suitable for relatively small engagements on the squad or platoon level - about 8-40 figures per side plus a few vehicles on a table of about 3' by 2' (100cm x 60cm).

5) Tactically and strategically interesting. I want a ruleset that will present the player with interesting choices to make.

My current favorite is USE ME, but I might want something a bit more complex, and I'm VERY open to suggestions.

commissarmoody:
Check out Ambush ally, force on force and there sci-fi version called tomorrow's war.
http://ambushalleygames.com/

ask them on the forums if you have any questions. The rules use a sliding value of dice to represent quality of troops and moral. And works from WW2 up to the present, and the Tomorrow war covers light and hard sic-fi Its also is an open scale but designed at for 15-40mm.
I hope that helps.

Gluteus Maximus:
5150 or Chain Reaction 3 from Two Hour Wargames. They both tick all the boxes you've specified.

Golan2072:
I didn't like the way CR 3 was laid out and explained; is 5150 and/or NUTS! better laid out and better explained?

Argonor:
Ganesha Games' 'Flying Lead' and 'Mutants and Death Ray Guns' might fit the bill. No 'hard sci-fi' supplement yet, though, but there's a weapon generator available for making all kinds of guns and stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version