Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam Project  (Read 14798 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Vietnam Project
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
Seriously when do you sleep?

Sleep is highly overrated.

:)

Boards 4 & 5 - US Base

A small US base - will hold a reinforced platoon-sized force - 8 squad dugouts, with roof cover, plus a central command post, which will be full enclosed, and house a heli pad on the roof.

It will be ringed by barbed wire (upright posts, plus probably some concertina), claymores etc etc  The engineers have cleared back the treeline, but the ground cover has regrown with alrming speed, meaning that the VC can get pretty much right up up next to the wire, giving a claustrophobic feel to it.  Will be littered with ammo crates, sandbags, hopefully the odd tent etc.

Decided to spread it over two boards, both to make it further away from the table edge, but also to allow some flexibility - despite the large size of some of the terrain pieces, different layouts will be possible.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
hmmm....hadn't given it that much thought yet.....

Given the use of radios (for calling in arty, airstrikes, and medevacs) is such a feature, I might call them "Alpha Romeo:Sierra Echo.....(Over)"......

lol

That'll work.

Alpha
Romeo
Sierra
E cho

As I said elsewhere, you need medication....and gunboats!

;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »
Imagine you'll be buying a shedload of those brill ebob trees?

For the uninitiated;

http://www.recon28.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »
yup - i used a handful on the Battlefield game, and the quality is excellent.

8)

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »
Dangnabbit, that's a beauty. I really, really need to paint my FoA Vietnam stuff (and assemble the M113s, argh).

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
Imagine you'll be buying a shedload of those brill ebob trees?

I'm losing faith that Ebob will ever release them, to be quite frank.

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
I'm losing faith that Ebob will ever release them, to be quite frank.

+1. Only a mad genius like Akula is a welcome visitor to unreleased beauties.
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:05:16 PM »
tbh, I think ebob wants to ensure that he is able to supply a product, in quantity, with his usual quality, before he makes it available in his shop.  I was very fortunate that he let me get hold of a handful, as I had the Salute deadline.

Last nights effort:

Board 6 - VC Tunnels/Temple

The hill base, on which i'm going to put a small temple.  the temple will sit on a 6mm MDF base, concealing the tunnels underneath.

My initial idea is that the larger room will be a small field hospital, and the other room a store area.  The two pairs of tunnels are a combination of tunnel entrances, and "Spider holes" used by sentries to protect the tunnel entrances.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Quick Update - got the river edges done, so you can see roughly what I have in mind:

River at top of screen, and a smaller tributary flows into it, on the left hand side - both boards on the left will be dense jungle.

On the left of this picture, you can see another tributary, flowing into the main river - this tributary is just to the right of the temple/paddyfields, on the previous photo.  The plain board in the foreground will be dense jungle, with several trails, meaning that the US base has a degree of separation from the paddyfields etc.  The board, top right will be the site of the second village.

View lengthwise down the board - there will be some tall elephant grass between the US base, and the second village.

The layout is designed to present some challenges to the US player. 

Firstly any riverborne patrol could face potential fire from the bush on either bank, from above (as they cross through the canyon/under the bridge), or from the temple, or village.

Secondly, foot patrols from the base will inevitably end up having to traverse close terrain, leading to ambush opportunities.

Thirdly, the height differential provides scope for snipers, or mortar spotters to look down into the base - there will be a position covering the bridge, but does the US player split his force, or leave it to the local ARVN to cover...?

Fourth, the road allows for convoy scenarios, which again may require the base to offer support.

Fifth, the limited room for resupply by huey (only room for one at a time on the base pad) means that any reinforcements will most probably have to land elsewhere, and walk in.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
I know you show a 1/56 scale truck but is that scale you are going to do this in?
Liking you plans so far. Loads of scope for fun games.
I am needing to plan my board better.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
I know you show a 1/56 scale truck but is that scale you are going to do this in?
Liking you plans so far. Loads of scope for fun games.
I am needing to plan my board better.

Yup, 28mm figures, based individually.

By a strange coincidence, some of the tiles can be swooped around.  Clearly the streams/ tributaries mean that it's not completely interchangeable, but the main river section on the top right (ie where the second village will be) is the same width as the section on the far left....  Also the two base boards, the "plain" jungle board, and the paddy fields, could all be moved if needs be - I didn't want it to be completely swappable, as it becomes too formulaic.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
tbh, I think ebob wants to ensure that he is able to supply a product, in quantity, with his usual quality, before he makes it available in his shop. 

I think that's it, along with wanting to do a simultaneous release of the line in it's entiry. Having spoken to a few of the independent manufacturers about the general feel of the business one thing becomes increasingly clear, i.e. releasing a gaming line as a small business takes a lot of effort, physically, mentally and financial. I've no doubt about the Recon28 being realised and with the highest quality humanly possible, like a lot of the small makers.

There's two things we can all do to help, one is to maintain the enthusiasm, and the other is to support it with purchases as it's available - and that's simple compared to doing a line eh?  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
Only an hour or so today:

Trimmed the edges of the river banks, roads etc, now that the glue has set, to remove any staight, hard lines.  Next step will be to add some filler, glue/sand mix.

Also raised up the level of the US base firepits, with a bit of polysterene.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
Looking good. Do you need any spagnum moss for when it comes to foliage/ground cover etc?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Akky you are mental, in a good way, but mental  ;D