Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How long is mine  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Khartoum

• Assistant
How long is mine
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:16 PM »
A little while ago I asked for advice on the length of Lances for my Red army figures.

Thanks to Autons Web link and photo I took his advice and started at 60mm but this seemed a little long and the final result was 55mm.

Here is the first example the paintings not great but I am happy with the scale.

Cheers

Khartoum

Offline Spooner6wa

• Assistant
How long is mine
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »
Khartoum,

Could you please post a couple more pictures?  Maybe a close up from the other side?  One of my next units will be a lancer unit and I want to see how yours turn out and follow suit.

Thanks
Chris
"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early" - Charles Lamb

Offline Khartoum

• Assistant
Other Angles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »
Chris

These were my first ever effort at taking photo's of models and I tried to get close up photos but the camera just did not pick out the detail - everything was fuzzy around the edges  (this may be a good topic for other areas on the forum).

I  did take the model form 4 views,the other 3 are below.  I hope that this helps.

The colours I have used are not necessarily accurate but I feel that they fit with my idea of the colours of the time.  The main unifrom coulour is Drab from Foundary.

This matches the uniforms of my regular troops in the force (the ones I have painted to date anyhow).  

I hope you can post some of your figures as well - This is the way Iget ideas sometimes.   T

Khartoum

Offline Khartoum

• Assistant
Some of the Photo's didn't come over
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »
On the previosu attempt only one phot came over here is a second attempt

Th elink below will is wher I have stored the pictures adn you can zoom in and see them in there lack of beauty

http://khartoumsgamingblog.blogspot.com/

Regards

Khartoum

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
How long is mine
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »
Looks great, visually! Might be a bit difficult to handle/stow away, though? But the effect is fine. I donīt have lance-armed cavalry for my bolsheviks yet, but after seeing those, Iīd like to get some... a whole squadron of 12 with flowing red pennants... yumski!

Offline Spooner6wa

• Assistant
How long is mine
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
Cool, thanks for the additional photo's.  Yeah, I agree that the length might cause a bit of a storage issue, but I won't care if I can field a big unit of those.  They would look imposing, and hopefully without even rolling any dice I can demoralize my opponent.  :)

Thanks for the inspiration,

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Jolly Good Job
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
Saw these for real last night and Gord has done a very good job.

Don't think he was thinking about the storage at the time though.

That could be a bit of a problem mate :wink:

Dodge

Offline Khartoum

• Assistant
Thanks For the Comments
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  

I am looking forward to having the full squadron done(12) - I may make one of them a standard bearer and give him a small banner.

I was expecting to put red and white pennants on the lances as well but the picture tha Auton uploaded on my cry for help did not have any.  I thought about this and presume that this is due to the changes in modern warfare that were taking places at the time. Originally red and white pennants were used on lances as they scared horses.  I think by this time the number of cavalry in an army was a lot less than in the past and as such the lancers were less likely to meet other cavalry in a conflict.  Therefore it is better to blend in with background than have this bright red and white flag saying please point that machine gun over here and pull the trigger.  This is my theory and apart from the reason why pennants wre red and white may be complete rubbish.

With regards to the storage - I thought this may be a problem as well once I had glued the horse onto the washer I am using as a base.  So far those that I have undercoated awaiting to be painted (sitting in along queue) are being kept in an old Games Worshop miniature box that I have.  They are on there side with the base being slid down the edge of the foam.  This works well for the moment and I am hoping that once I have completed the bases that I will still be avle to do this.  Otherwise I have a problem.

Dodge thanks for the words mate.  When all 12 are finished I am going to try and ensure that your Chinese get the point :lol: