Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Greaser Gang  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Greaser Gang
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Hi,

Mangaged to pick up a painted, 12 man Greaser Gang at the Bristol Table Top sale last weekend - I just have to tidy up the bases. I have also started to put together a military defence force, aswell - I might even get some photos on site, too.

I have been trying to access the Brigade forum to check out the "taster" rules, but I haven't had any success - does any body know if forum is still operating?

Thanks,

Ramirez

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Greaser Gang
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »
There was a message on the Brigade site saying that the forum was still having problems, so the Brigade Games Yahoo group was being used in the meantime. Since Atomic Cafe is produced by Rattrap Games, you might have a look at their forum as well.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
I think I can post a link on here temporarily for those looking to try the rules out.

Give me a day to set it up.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
Is 'Teddy Boys' British nomenclature or is it a common name for Greasers in the  US to?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Teddy Boys were, I think, a later phenomena in Britain (those with the long, brightly colored jackets and slightly longer hair at the back) Think Showaddywaddy.

EDIT:
I need to Google stuff before posting; apparently not so much later, but definitely British:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:47:39 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
Teddy Boy, is purely a British title. The origin being that the young men in question favoured an "Edwardian" appearance, Ted being a cut down version of Edward, no I don't get it either.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Aha! I thought this post might have been about the figures I sold  lol

Hope they bring you many hours of fun
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »
Teddy Boys were, I think, a later phenomena in Britain (those with the long, brightly colored jackets and slightly longer hair at the back) Think Showaddywaddy.

EDIT:
I need to Google stuff before posting; apparently not so much later, but definitely British:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Boy

Nope early 1950s Britian after the GAreat Expo Edwardian dress fashion, now if some one could do a gang of Teddy Boys it would be great :-* point of note my Dad was a Teddy Boy and when he emigrated to Australia they caused a bit of bother out there and were known as Wyatt Earps as they looked a bit wild west with the frock coat...lol

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
Aha! I thought this post might have been about the figures I sold  lol

Hope they bring you many hours of fun

Hi v_lazy_dragon,

Small world - yeap, looking forward to gaming with them. In fact, buying the gang has made me rethink the terrain board I had for sale - I'll try and post some phots of it later today.

Thanks,

I think I can post a link on here temporarily for those looking to try the rules out.

Give me a day to set it up.

That would be great, thanks.

Ramirez

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
Think Showaddywaddy.

No!!!!!!! Thinking Showaddywaddy could get you a serious kicking back in the mid 70s  lol

Teds started out in the late 50s, had a bit of a resurgence in mainstreem popularity in the 70s and are still going today.

Primarily British but I've met some European and Scandinavian Teds.

Check this out cats  ;)

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
Not all British greasers are Teds, H. They are specific sub-species of greaser. Showaddywaddy were like a watered-down Ted tribute act, Argonor. Not really the real deal. They didn't even bother with the 50s haircuts, but had horrid 70s ones and pantomime versions of Teddy Boy clothing.

I haven't seen a Ted since 1986. As it was a football match day, and we had been drinking, he was serenaded with a short rendition of "Elvis is dead, Elvis is dead! Woah! Woah!"
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Even 'Greaser' is a misnomer applied after the fact in the US... they were 'Hoods' in contemporary language. Greaser was a term applied retrospectively.

In Britain the equivalent was the 'Ton-up' or 'Leather' boy, who became 'Rockers' by the early 60s... who the Mods of the time called 'Greasers', or just 'Grease' (probably with a sneer). 'Teds' or 'Creepers' were not the same and existed before Rock and Roll reached the UK (the Daily Express mentions them in 1953!). It had pretty much died out as a major fashion trend by 1960.

Although some Teds rode motorbikes, it wasn't quite the same deal as the later Rockers, whose culture centred on the bike and not the clothes. They might share similar tastes in music and share a hairstyle, but Teds were just as likely to use hairspray as Brylcream and cars were preferred to ruining your coat on a bike.

Not the full story, but good enough in simple terms I hope.  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:09:39 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
British teenage groupings are, while much adored by their contemporary Swedes, rather confusing.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Showaddywaddy were like a watered-down Ted tribute act, Argonor. Not really the real deal. They didn't even bother with the 50s haircuts, but had horrid 70s ones and pantomime versions of Teddy Boy clothing.

Yeah, I was just pointing at the style of dress, with the long coats/jackets (which might not have shown from my wording).