Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690997
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombies!  (Read 3033 times)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Zombies!
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
Well one of them at least. For now. I plan to build up a selection of zeds for a game later in the year against my main gaming buddy. This was done as a tester.

Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: Zombies!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
I really like the muted grey skintone.

I know it's a personal choice, but I just don't get the feeling when I see hordes of green zombies - meat doesn't go green often or quickly, and it's never that shade of green.

What are your paint combos to achieve the effect?
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks SBRPearce. :)

The skin tone was based on Vallejo Green Grey (Model Color 70886 or 101) highlighted with mixed in Basic Skin Tone (MC 70815 or 017), with thin brown washes (I *think* it was Devlan Mud) and that will probbaly be the base skin for most of the horde.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
Yeah, very nice skintones!
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »

Lovely. 

While I like goofy zombies from time to time I tend to prefer creepy ones.  This example is nice and sinister.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
One down.....lots to go!

;)

(Nice PJ).

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »
 :-* Me likey  :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »
Well done...I like that skin tone as well.  That looks like meat gone bad.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »
Grey-green with flesh mixed in. Very nice. I earlier tried doing something with Field Grey for a Ghoul, but mixed in white, which does not end up quite as nice. Must try your formula.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
Horrifically good! Can't wait to see the whole hoard up and runni... er.... shambling  :D

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
I was painting all my zombies Reaper Pro paints Ghoul Gray, but unfortunately that was one of the colors Reaper has discontinued. Unfortunately the Ghoul Gray pot I have has all the pigmentation (at least I am assuming its the pigments used to give the paint its coloring) clumped together in a spongy mass suspended (as in sitting at the bottom of the pot) in a green liquid, when I shake the pot to mix everything the liquid takes on the coloring of the pigment, but when I try anduse it, the paint is way too thin.

Ghoul Gray was a greenish gray color, I found that it looked great over a black basecoat, with a very light drybrushing of a flesh tone/Ghoul Gray mix (about 1:2 or 2:1 of Caucasian/light Flesh:Ghoul Gray depending on the effect you are looking for, with darker skintones using maybe a 1:2 or 2:3 ratio, just enough to give the skin tone a slight tint of the ghoul gray, though I could be wrong on this ratio since I only did a couple dark skinned zombies and those were for a friend).

I think your undead flesh on that zombie looks superb, though if you feel yourself compitant enough you could add a couple blueish/purplish blotches to the skin tone to represent bruises that appear postmortem, a good source for inspiration on postmortem bruising are episodes of CSI, CSI: New York, CSI: Miami and NCIS (the autopsy room scenes where they Medical Examiner is examining a body for signs of trauma.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
I think your undead flesh on that zombie looks superb, though if you feel yourself compitant enough you could add a couple blueish/purplish blotches to the skin tone to represent bruises that appear postmortem, a good source for inspiration on postmortem bruising are episodes of CSI, CSI: New York, CSI: Miami and NCIS (the autopsy room scenes where they Medical Examiner is examining a body for signs of trauma.

Watch those and you soon become an expert on high velocity blood spatter, lividity, rate of decay etc etc.

Essential for gaming.... or at least painting Zs and their victims  lol

You're right though, they take such pains to get dead flesh to look right, it would be criminal not to use them as source material.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 12:13:57 AM »
I was painting all my zombies Reaper Pro paints Ghoul Gray, but unfortunately that was one of the colors Reaper has discontinued. Unfortunately the Ghoul Gray pot I have has all the pigmentation (at least I am assuming its the pigments used to give the paint its coloring) clumped together in a spongy mass suspended (as in sitting at the bottom of the pot) in a green liquid, when I shake the pot to mix everything the liquid takes on the coloring of the pigment, but when I try anduse it, the paint is way too thin.

You could try putting a ball bearing or a chunck of metal (I know a guy who cuts up old figs for that purpose) in the paint pot.
that way when you shake it the lot will get mixed a little better.

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »
You could try putting a ball bearing or a chunck of metal (I know a guy who cuts up old figs for that purpose) in the paint pot.
that way when you shake it the lot will get mixed a little better.
zizi- Reaper puts a "Gruesomely Severed Head" in all their paints, both the Pro Paint pots and the Master Series dropper bottles for helping the mixing when you shake the paints. I don't know if it is true but I believe I read on one of the various forums that some of the batches released just before the "new" Pro Paints line (they are supposed to be reformulated with finer/better pigmentation then the older Pro Paints) for one reason or another were experiencing problems, and that Reaper did try to get all the bad batches back, but unfortunately some did slip through, I had an orange that was one of the bad batches, it was a spongy mass like my Ghoul Gray (which started off great, though turned to a spongy mass after maybe a dozen uses), and unfortunately since Reaper no longer produces this color I am SOL, until I can work out a similar color alternative, or break down and use a new color (which I really don't want to do unless I have to, though some variation in the zombie skin tone might be good, I could use one of the colors in the Reaper Master Series Undead Flesh Triad).

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
Effective paint job, should be relatively easy to replicate on a large scale - good work.
 8)