Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 217945 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #630 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Yes, there was no respect for a honourable enemy. They acted like animals. I understand that was the whole point, but it still makes it hard to sympathise with them at all (in fact, I quickly found I was hoping they would just die).

Sadly, after 30 minutes, I was hoping the Germans would kill them, too.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #631 on: July 23, 2010, 10:26:49 PM »
Helen I have noted that you have a particular interest in Italian movie s and books,
Very good to' find somebody interested in hour history, but just a question , do you find them in italian language or traslate in english?
Piero

Hi Piero,

The El Alamein had English sub titles where's Attack and Retreat is in spoken English. Of the books, the Fologore was with Italian an English text and the other is in English text.

My uncle was at El Alamein and before his passing many years ago he chatted about his actions against the brave Italians. Who were steadfast and fought like tigers - Much bravado, salute!

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #632 on: July 25, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
Might I echo Helen's sentiments. My father was in the Desert in WW2 and he never regarded the Italians as the 'easy foe'.

If you are fighting for your life I do not think "nationality" is a crucial factor. 

I honour all combatants irrespective of where they happened to be born.

Yes I completely agree.
Some years ago in Cassino I saw many old people speaking togheter, some where German, some English.; they fought angainst each  other and was really commovent to see them hug  and clasp their hands .

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #633 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
Day of the dead,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088993/
survival of the dead
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134854/
& Defiance (ww2 eastern europe/ partisans..)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #634 on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
Just ordered 2 movies (All teh King´s Men + Rough Crossings) that I found on this site:

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/media/silverscreen.htm

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #635 on: August 01, 2010, 03:08:16 AM »
Finally watched "Lawrence of Arabia", in a long 3hr45min (!) DVD presentation.

I have an urge to order lots of Brigade's Arab Revolt horsemen now, thousands of them!

Great epic movie, well worth it. The local university cinema shows Lawrence on the big screen periodically, I'm going to make an effort to go next time it runs - all those desert landscape shots would look even better on a big screen.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #636 on: August 01, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I just caught a movie on Netflix called “it happened here” about England under Germany occupation during WWII.  Not and action flick, very much a human drama and a brilliant piece of film making.   One should also consider that the film was made in 1965 by two teenager film makers (which blew my mind)  Well worth watching especially for those who are into the VBCW gaming.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #637 on: August 09, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
Mohawk (1956)

A recent purchase from a discount store.

I wouldn't describe it as an inspiring but it intrigued me, mostly for its use of outdoors and action footage taken from the Drums Along The Mohawk (1939), which was set in New York State in 1776.  Aside from that borrowed from elsewhere, the bulk of the Mohawk footage seems to have been shot on an indoors set, with many of the buildings, clothing and scenarios constructed to merge (not quite) seamlessly with the footage culled from DATM.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #638 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Mohawk (1956)

A recent purchase from a discount store.

I wouldn't describe it as an inspiring but it intrigued me, mostly for its use of outdoors and action footage taken from the Drums Along The Mohawk (1939), which was set in New York State in 1776.  Aside from that borrowed from elsewhere, the bulk of the Mohawk footage seems to have been shot on an indoors set, with many of the buildings, clothing and scenarios constructed to merge (not quite) seamlessly with the footage culled from DATM.
  Have you seen the 1947 Gary Cooper film "Unconquered" some what based on Pontiacs rebellion of the 1760's and the battle for Fort Pitt.  Not too historic but it has lots of ideas, and cool costumes for those interested in the early Indian Wars.  Besides with Boris Karloff as a Seneca chief how can you go wrong... Prof

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #639 on: August 10, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »
Just watche Johnny Depp's verson of "Alice in Wonderland" and it was very...different.  My wife and I both ended up enjoying the movie.  The only problem was all the 3D stuff thrown at the screen for shock effect. I am so done with 3D, a good story is so much more important.   Prof

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #640 on: August 10, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
  Have you seen the 1947 Gary Cooper film "Unconquered" some what based on Pontiacs rebellion of the 1760's and the battle for Fort Pitt.  Not too historic but it has lots of ideas, and cool costumes for those interested in the early Indian Wars.  Besides with Boris Karloff as a Seneca chief how can you go wrong... Prof

Thanks Prof.  That one's new to me and so I have added it to the list to acquire.  Cheers  :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #641 on: August 11, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
Well, not a movie, but still a film :)
The new Doctor Who series, Season 1-3. Got it for 12 quid including postage off e-bay :)

And I would'nt have bought them if it weren't for the lovely Dr Who minis that people put up here over and over again :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #642 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »

(Yes, I know Bollywood movies are ludicrous, but many of us harbour our own little guilty pleasures, don't we? Besides, this one is a classic, and I am currently obsessed with the lovely Zeenat Aman, so stop laughing at me, as I can't help myself. lol)

Edit: Ooh, you can jump straight to the songs directly from the main DVD menu. Excellent idea!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:12:17 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #643 on: August 13, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
There's no "skip the songs" option included? ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #644 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »
Why no, who on earth in their right mind would want that?  :)

I just finished watching it, and it was great! I've had the soundtrack on my iPod for ages, I don't know why I never got around to buying the DVD until now.

This film has everything! In addition to some great songs there's the lovely Zeenat:

(Shake 'em, baby!)

Kung Fu!

(Well, after a fashion.)

But the main thing I noticed was...

...lots...

...and lots...

...of Sten guns...

Plynkes says: Five Stars. Highly recommended (but only if you like this kind of thing). Time to start badgering Rich to bring out a PDF of Bollywood archetypes for .45 Adventure, and some rules for song and dance numbers.  ;)