Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 217972 times)

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
Re: Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »
"30 Days of Night" - more vampire goodness to add to my growing collection.

"The Dirty Dozen" - 'nuff said really....
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
"River Queen".

A little bit like "Last of the Mohicans", set in 1860's New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Queen

Link to trailer:

Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
OLOL! The white haired Maori (?) looks like Bilbo Baggins  lol

OT: Nice find, I have to get it myself  :D
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2008, 05:56:05 AM »
I just wish to say thanks to Alex for showing us folks a glimpse of "Chapaev." A beautiful movie and very much recommended.  I watched it today after I picked it up from my mail box.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:57:36 AM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2008, 06:07:39 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention. I picked this up DVD many weeks ago. Great movie about a Serbian artillery unit fighting the Austrians at the River Drina September 1914. It wasn't a long movie, but for folks who have an interest, its very good.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:06 AM »
Caplin's Great Dictator...

How much more cliché can you possibly get?
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
Commissar is a very moving story of a female commissar in the RCW who is pregnant and now faces the decision to be a mother or seek ever glory with her unit!

This is a very poignant movie of many layers and may not be everyone's cup of tea so to speak!

For me it was very moving story and one that brought a few tears to the eye. There are some excellent military scenes contained within the story, however its not all about that, but the female commissar and the Jewish family she is staying with.  8)

Edit:
Obituary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonna Mordyukova

Ukrainian actor whose best-known work was suppressed by the Soviets for 20 years

Ronald Bergan
Thursday July 10, 2008
The Guardian

Nonna Mordyukova, who has died aged 82, embodied the ideal of strong Soviet womanhood on screen. The statuesque actor, who seemed to have stepped down from a patriotic frieze, was one of the most popular of female film stars in Russia for more than 50 years, through the best and worst of times for the national cinema.
It is ironic that her greatest performance, for which she is best known in the west, was the title role in Alexsandr Askoldov's The Commissar, made in 1967 but shelved and not shown until 20 years later, when Mordyukova's career was all but over.

The Lion of the Desert is well known and doesn't require any comments.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:06:41 AM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
Spending too much money again! Bought a couple of DVD's to add to the unwatched pile!

Count of Monte Cristo (7 hour version, with Gérard Depardieu.  Saw the ending on TV a while back and thought it was excellent.)

Scarlet Pimpernel (TV movie, with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour.  Can't remember if I've seen it or not)

Drums Along the Mohawk (John Ford classic, with Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert.  Haven't seen it in 20 years!)

Princess and the Pirate (Bob Hope and Viginia Mayo.  Recommended in GURPS Swashbucklers.  Never seen it.)

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2008, 11:53:53 PM »
An Epic story and one that truly rivals some of the Epics out there!

Set prior to WW1 on the Don which then follows through WW1 culminating after the RCW period.

Most folks I'm sure have seen this movie as it has been out for sometime. There are some great cavalry actions and other military actions. You get a good grasp of the ebb and flow of the civil war too!

I bought the 4 disk set which has 4 hours of movie on 3 disks plus the last disk containing interviews etc. There is an English version by use of a number of translators.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »
Watched "The Golden Mistress."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047037/

It was pretty weak as a movie, but I got a kick out of watching it.  A good looking man and good looking woman spend a lot of time modelling 1950's casual wear as they attempt to track down and retrieve a voodoo treasure in Haiti at a time when Haiti still had trees.  The scenes with the quasi African tribe were a lot of fun.  Some good adventure game ideas in this movie.  Don't expect much in terms of writing or acting quality, but I still recommend this one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:00:08 AM by warrenbruhn »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:08 AM »
Watched "Liane, Jungle Goddess."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049437/

Another weak movie.  I was really hoping that Liane would turn out to be a savage jungle killer like Tarzan.  Not quite...

Was looking for some Darkest Africa inspiration, and this movie helped a little, but not as much as I was hoping for.  Mostly got a couple of good looking women and a good looking guy posing in 1950's casual wear, and initially not much of it on Liane.  It was worth the time to watch the movie though.  I do recommend watching it, once.

We got one really good idea out of it regarding the drums.  I think my friends and I might include drums in a giant Darkest Africa game at a convention.  Each of the various gamemasters around the table will be issued with drums which they will ostensibly use to communicate with each other.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:01:06 AM by warrenbruhn »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2008, 02:57:04 AM »
Watched "Shout at the Devil."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075214/

This was the movie I was really looking for when I ran accross "The Golden Mistress" and "Liane, Jungle Goddess."  One of the guys that I game with does Rufiji River scenarios with 1:2400 scale wooden ships, so I wanted to check out this movie.  The movie did not disappoint, although I wish that the initial humor of the movie had been maintained.  The switch to a more serious tone didn't work well.  There were excellent ideas for wargames.  Highly recommend this one!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2008, 03:12:39 AM »
Watched "Biggles, Adventures in Time."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090729/

This was a really silly movie based on time travel.  A very 1980's guy keeps falling out of his time back to 1917 to get Biggles and his mates out of tight spots.  Since I haven't been able to find any Biggles books at my local library or at the biggest bookstore in the whole USA, I picked up this movie just to learn something about Biggles.  I wasn't too disappointed at the depiction of Biggles and his mates, but the 1980's people I could have done without.  The airplanes weren't authentic looking either.  There is definately a potential adventure game in the plot, but gamers could make up something better.  It's definately a pulp war story plot.

I actually don't recommend this one.  However, it did inspire my roommate and I to learn more about the Biggles series of books.  I just wish that I could check them out of a library.  Hopefully somebody will do better movies about Biggles in the future, particularly as computer animation is getting so good now.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »
Watched "Black and White in Color."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074972/

This is an excellent film about conflict breaking out on the border of the Cameroons in 1914/1915.  When the people at a French outpost finally discover there is a war on they ineptly set out to attack their German neighbors.  The movie almost is a wargame, and a silly wargame at that.  I rate this as an absolute "must see" for anybody who games Darkest Africa and/or WWI.  It's a very intelligent and entertaining film.  It's thought provoking while still being fun.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »
Somebody has been watching a lot lately, huh? lol

I just recieved a documentary about Emperor William II. of Germany called "Majestät brauchen Sonne". It's basically about how he built up his image in public by the use and subtle manipulation of films and photos of him. Well, not so much the films themselves but when and how he was filmed. Haven't seen it yet but I hope to gain some insight into the time around the turn of the 19th to 20th century.