Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord/Empress Zulu War Plastics  (Read 9397 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord/Empress Zulu War Plastics
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Looking good! I can see myself parting with some hard earned cash for them.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
Makes sense to do the British first. They'll attract a lot more attention than Zulu's would and I for one welcome them with open arms (assuming they're good). The only other set I'm aware of are the Wargames Factory pile of dross so it's hardly a flooded market.

I agree entirely. Whilst I have a fair few British units in khaki, I only have a few red-coated figures. I love the Empress metals, but they are a bit expensive for me to buy en-masse at the moment. Plastics would enable me to get a good sized force, with metal characters added in and still have a house to live in  ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
I agree entirely. Whilst I have a fair few British units in khaki, I only have a few red-coated figures. I love the Empress metals, but they are a bit expensive for me to buy en-masse at the moment. Plastics would enable me to get a good sized force, with metal characters added in and still have a house to live in 

My thought, too.  8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
I agree entirely. Whilst I have a fair few British units in khaki, I only have a few red-coated figures. I love the Empress metals, but they are a bit expensive for me to buy en-masse at the moment. Plastics would enable me to get a good sized force, with metal characters added in and still have a house to live in  ;)
Yes, but buying the natives in the uber-en-mass would put me in debtors prison (or at least the poor house lol)!! No, I can't see your POV, I guess we'll agree to disagree! :D

Either that or not use TSATF...NAH!!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Yes, but buying the natives in the uber-en-mass would put me in debtors prison (or at least the poor house lol)!! No, I can't see your POV, I guess we'll agree to disagree! :D

That's not really an argument given that they've already said they're releasing two boxes of Natives...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
I am not really convinced by these, so I hope they will continue to do the metal range on the side...

I am for one still waiting for Brits in advancing poses and such.

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
That's not really an argument given that they've already said they're releasing two boxes of Natives...

Like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this release.  My plastic WF British are not aging well and incidental contact seems to break bayonets with each use.  If I buy any of these I would probably use Empress' separate metal weapons for the sake of durability.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »

Fair enough, but I should have said I already have several units of metal Zulus - also loads of Boers which will mean I can also game the forst Boer War with them (not to mention I will sneak them into my totally implausible Darkeat Africa set-up where they have Azande, Zanzibaris, Pygmies, Egyptians etc to fight). Buying the redcoats first immediately lets me fight several diverse opponents -well, once they are painted  ::) . I use rules where 10-figure units are the norm, rather than the excellent but figure-hungry TSATF. This means that the numbers needed are more affordable.

As you say, we can happily differ without any hard feelings  :)

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
Fair enough, but I should have said I already have several units of metal Zulus - also loads of Boers which will mean I can also game the forst Boer War with them (not to mention I will sneak them into my totally implausible Darkeat Africa set-up where they have Azande, Zanzibaris, Pygmies, Egyptians etc to fight). Buying the redcoats first immediately lets me fight several diverse opponents -well, once they are painted  ::) . I use rules where 10-figure units are the norm, rather than the excellent but figure-hungry TSATF. This means that the numbers needed are more affordable.

As you say, we can happily differ without any hard feelings  :)
Hear Hear!

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
I use rules where 10-figure units are the norm, rather than the excellent but figure-hungry TSATF. This means that the numbers needed are more affordable.

The excellent skirmish campaigns book Zulu War 1879 by Ray Jones and Mark Fastoso is based on TSATF but uses 8 man units.

Im looking forward to seeing these, and even though you can never have enough Zulus  I have more metal zulus and brits than I will ever paint. The WF Zulus seem to take forever to clean up and glue together and they have been languishing in the pile for some time but with a minimal amount of green stuff and sometimes shield packs bought from Foundry or North Star they can be converted to represent useful other figures such as NNC, Ngoni , Matabele or just generic African tribesmen. Im hoping the Empress/Warlord Zulus will have plenty of options to be armed with muskets as opposed to MH rifles. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:54:10 AM by Mors »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
My plastic WF British are not aging well and incidental contact seems to break bayonets with each use.

That is my fear of plastics.

I have a tendency of accidental "drop testing" lots of my miniatures.  Plastic bayonets, swords, spears... oh my...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
I am for one still waiting for Brits in advancing poses and such.

Me too.

I love the Empress metal miniatures and see myself doing a Brit VSF army in the not too distant future.  But I've always been an "advancing" kinda guy and so far I just haven't been willing to hit the buy button on the existing line.

Lancers and Dragoons would also go a long way towards pulling me over the edge.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
I have a tendency of accidental "drop testing" lots of my miniatures.  Plastic bayonets, swords, spears... oh my...

Same here… should have figured since then that they don’t bounce… well most of them don’t anyway…

Back on subject, I’m pretty sure a lot of people would like to buy the British figures to scratch build VSF units too.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »
Me too.

I love the Empress metal miniatures and see myself doing a Brit VSF army in the not too distant future.  But I've always been an "advancing" kinda guy and so far I just haven't been willing to hit the buy button on the existing line.

Lancers and Dragoons would also go a long way towards pulling me over the edge.

Given his highly prolific output, perhaps Paul Hicks might be persuaded to add a pack or two of advancing Brits to his already extensive range. After all, he did considerably expand the firing line poses after the initial Empress releases.