Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1000 Steampunk Creations  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
1000 Steampunk Creations
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
A friend of my wife sent a link to this book as they have items in it and I thought it may be of interest on here.

Unusually the "Look Inside" preview shows nearly all the book so you can get a very good idea of the contents

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Steampunk-Creations-Neo-victorian-Fashion/dp/1592536913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305195938&sr=1-1#_

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: 1000 Steampunk Creations
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Feature Unavailable
We're sorry, but this feature is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Hmmmm...

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
Nice find. That image directory is a right tease, looks like there's some good pics in there. £11 odd quid for 1000 pics cant be bad.
Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
Nice looking book, but it seems to me to be more a work of self promotion by Dr Grymm and friends, rather than being a showcase of steampunk art in general. Its a pity that almost all the artists covered are American - it would have been nice if the book could have featured works by more of the equally talented 'names' in the steampunk art and 'maker' fraternity from around the world.

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Nice looking book, but it seems to me to be more a work of self promotion by Dr Grymm and friends, rather than being a showcase of steampunk art in general. Its a pity that almost all the artists covered are American - it would have been nice if the book could have featured works by more of the equally talented 'names' in the steampunk art and 'maker' fraternity from around the world.

Now, now, you have that awesome museum in the UK. Would help mightily if it had it's own book.

Has anyone looked at the Steampunk Bible? Just glanced, so I've not formed an opinion yet.

Oh, and do you know what's missing from this discussion? Someone ranting how this is a VSF, NOT a Steampunk list. ;=>=

I suppose we need to resurrect the old source book discussion, especially now that K. W. Jeter's works are available again.

Doug

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
Oh, and do you know what's missing from this discussion? Someone ranting how this is a VSF, NOT a Steampunk list. ;=>=

I was relying on the moderator being lenient ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
I was relying on the moderator being lenient ;)

Don't we all, mate, don't we all!

Doug

Offline Dr Grymm Laboratories

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
Thanks for the nice words all. This was a fun book to put together.

Bullshott, I'm sorry you feel that way. You probably should know that, I only had 3 months to put this book together and have included the works from artists in at least 7 countries, including the UK, France, Russia, Italy, Canada.  It was an open call and I scowered the internet to find artists as I do with the exhibit I host annually. Please keep in mind that some people simply did not want to participate and I have no control over that.

I do have my own work in there but no more images than anyone else was allowed to put in.  That being said, it was an honor to work with the 185 artists that contributed to this book and I am doing my best to create a second in the series.

And in conclusion if any of you are looking to save a bit of cash in purchasing an advanced copy of this book, when you go to www.qbookshop.com and enter the promo code DRGRYMM, you will recieve 25% off the book. Offer good until June 30th.

~Cheers
Dr. Grymm
www.drgrymmlaboratories.net

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the nice words all. This was a fun book to put together.

Bullshott, I'm sorry you feel that way. You probably should know that, I only had 3 months to put this book together and have included the works from artists in at least 7 countries, including the UK, France, Russia, Italy, Canada.  It was an open call and I scowered the internet to find artists as I do with the exhibit I host annually. Please keep in mind that some people simply did not want to participate and I have no control over that.

I do have my own work in there but no more images than anyone else was allowed to put in.  That being said, it was an honor to work with the 185 artists that contributed to this book and I am doing my best to create a second in the series.

And in conclusion if any of you are looking to save a bit of cash in purchasing an advanced copy of this book, when you go to www.qbookshop.com and enter the promo code DRGRYMM, you will recieve 25% off the book. Offer good until June 30th.

~Cheers
Dr. Grymm
www.drgrymmlaboratories.net

Welcome to the Forum Dr Grymm

Thanks for the response, I stand corrected. I hadn't realised that your deadline to produce the book was so short. Also, I think I may have been misled by choice of pages in the preview on Amazon.

As I said in my comment, it IS a nice book. The volume of photographs by a wide range of artists with different takes on steampunk means that this will be a good source of inspiration for people getting into steampunk design, especially with works to the standard of yours.

I saw your eyepod first hand at the Oxford exhibition and was very impressed. Will you be exhibiting annything at the UK steampunk exhibition starting at Kew bridge Steam Museum in June?

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
Thanks Bullshott,

I'm glad you were able to see the Oxford Exhibit. I unfortunately had to miss it due to numerous deadlines, but it was an honor to be in it. As far as Kew, I have tried unsuccessfully to get pieces in the Kew Museum exhibit, simply because I cannot seem to properly reach the curator.

However, I am gearing up for my 3rd museum Exhibit here in the states as well as finishing a second book 2 films and a plethora of small projects so, I may have to miss this one anyway.

Thanks again, and no worries about the earlier comment. I just wanted to explain. Funny thing is that the images of mine that were in the book were collected by the original author and were already approved prior to my involvement. I hope you enjoy the book once it is released.

-Dr. Grymm
www.DrGrymmLaboratories.net

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
Good Doctor, I've not delved far enough, but I was curious if you're a fan of Nerf guns? A simple coat of paint hardly seems enough in spite of what you find on eBay, but a bit of removing here, bolt on there, and some are smashing, no?

Doug

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Hi Doug,

I myself have only done one Nerf Mod for a film client and it was because he needed it to do specific things for a low budget.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmarsdesign/3437731087/in/set-72157618394512507

The only reason I used a Nerf Mavrick for this project was to have a revolving 6 bullet chamber to hold glowing bullets., so I replaced the handle with a double barrel handle, and transversed the chamber so it could flip open and be loaded from behind.  This gun was also designed to be a grittier Steampunk style as if it were Frankensteined together.

I have seen some good mods but primarily, most folks barely take the time to remove the logos before painting. For me I think modding nerf guns is a nice starter pint, but it should lead to more progressive builds, possibly using wood and harware.

Most of my weapons are made from found objects using metal wood and glass and really are no more expensive then a Mavrick when complete, but they have actual weight and a style more condusive to Steampunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmarsdesign/4160886898/in/set-72157622817076467

~Dr. Grymm