Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Would you like to know more? (Braxandur)
Defend the Excavation! (Fire Broadside!)

Author Topic: ROUND 10 Would you like to know more? vs Defend the Excavation!  (Read 8962 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: ROUND 10 Would you like to know more? vs Defend the Excavation!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
Great work both! Braxandur, I really like your set-up and the scene is instantly recognisable, good job! FB!, it's great to see your entire collection (or part of it) and the models look really good together. Good work but I felt compelled to vote for the fresher entry (in painting anyway).
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Oh, I quite agree with you Pil! That is a great scene Braxandur. Straight from the movie!  :-*

My plan was to finally paint my space battleship Yamato fleet and maybe some Gamilons as well. But I was pressed for time and when I sat down to start I felt that I really didn't want to rush through those models. So instead I cobbled together this little "recap" of my 15mm minis. It still feels like an ok ending to the LPL.  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:18:11 PM by Fire Broadside! »
Follow my (mostly) gaming related ramblings at Fire Broadside!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
Two strong entries again...Love the Martian scene...your red basing and planet surface are perfect!  And while I really like the painting and scenery from the Starship troopers entry...I have a hard time getting over my...mmm...how shall I say it....less than good feelings about that movie (one of the worst book to movie translations EVER!) anyhoo..in the end...it looks like fun gaming and good figures....which is what its all about.

Great work ya'll!

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
Great entry Brax. The miniatures came out very nice, combined with the fort and all the added things, it's an awesome Starship Troopers entry!

FB, your models are definitely great as well. Two strong entries, my vote is for the fresh miniatures.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »
Brax,
which make of figures are those?

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments.

@Fire Broadside!: I lik e your entry as well. Having a spaceship in the backdrop would have been great as well. Did you make an entire mars-like planet? The green and red really go together quite well.

@6milPhil: All the models are from (now defunct) Starship Troppers game from Mongoose Publishing. I was happy to get my hands on the last box of light infantry I could find online when the game went oop, but wouldn not mind if some of the bigger bugs would cross my path at a certain point...) . The bug came in the basic box an although they are hell to build (though not as bad as the infantry you get in the box), they look a lot like theit movie counterparts.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
Ahhh thanks for the illumination. I thought they were the OOP ones, but a part of me was hoping they were one of those "NOT" ranges I've become so fond of...  :'(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:56:09 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
I always meant to ask FB, how are you doing your backgrounds? At first I thought it was 'photo-shopped', but on closer inspection now it looks like a picture/ poster they're on......

Btw, well done guys! They both look brill! I think out of all the movie scenes this round, it's your entry braxandur that most looks like the film it's supposed to represent! FB your stuffs been great throughout this LPL. It's a pity you couldn't get something new for the last round.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:36:48 PM by Andym »

Offline Fire Broadside!

• Librarian
  • Spaceships, Robots and Beastmen!
    • Fire Broadside!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
I always meant to ask FB, how are you doing your backgrounds? At first I thought it was 'photo-shopped', but on closer inspection now it looks like a picture/ poster they're on......

That's exactly what it is. I collected a few different pictures taken by the two Mars Exploration Rovers, printed them out at A3 size and simply plonked down the minis on them. At first it was just a stop-gap idea until I could get some nice scenery done. But it looked so good that I continued using it. I knew that whatever scenery I came up with it wouldn't look better than the real thing. :)

Btw, well done guys! They both look brill! I think out of all the movie scenes this round, it's your entry braxandur that most looks like the film it's supposed to represent! FB your stuffs been great throughout this LPL. It's a pity you couldn't get something new for the last round.

Indeed. There are a lot of great entries this round, but I think Braxandur's really looks like a movie still!  :-*
I wish I could have sent in a new entry, but alas. Hopefully next year. :)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:15 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments! I did my best to get the shot to look a bit like the following movie scene:

I must say that there are a lot of entries out there that I also think look really like a movie shot.