Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 3731 times)

Offline GemGames

• Bookworm
    • Gem Games & Hobbies
Getting Started
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
I am a relatively new to miniature wargaming. I inherited a massive collection of miniatures (circa 1960s through early 2000s), and rather than throw them out (as my Mother-in-Law tried to do), I decided to dive into the hobby. I only recently tried painting anything. As soon as I feel like there is anything worth showing, I'll be interested in getting feedback.

I'm also weeding the collection, as there is more than any one person could paint.  Mostly I've been selling stuff on eBay. But I'll keep my eye on the wanted sections, as I'm sure that there will be overlap between what I am getting rid of and what peopel want. Lots of Foundry, Minifigs, Warhammer, Ral Partha (Fantasy and Historical), Ships, Olley's Armies, Alternative Armies, Copplestone, Minifigs, Britannia, Figures Armour Artillery, Deadlands, Heritage, WarZone, Scotia Micro Models, Full Thrust, Phoenix, Hinchliffe, Custom Cast, etc.

Also tons of reference books for historical uniforms.

I look forward to participating!

Bill

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »

Sound like you have inherited a very varied lead mountain... lol

Welcome to LAF 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.

Welcome................  :D

Enjoy this site, but take care, it leads you to periods you never imagined gaming............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:22 AM »
Glad to see you found your way onto the forum. Looking forward to seeing you at Enfilade & seeing what you bring. Bruce tells me you got 3 tables. I'm the guy that talked to you at Norwescon.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline GemGames

• Bookworm
    • Gem Games & Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »
Hey HerbyF! Thanks for the tip on Enfilade and on this forum! I am spending a lot of time going through my historicals for Enfilade. Very little overlap with Norwescon, considering the focus.

I'm really inspired by all the amazing painting that I've seen. Some really top notch work here. Thanks again for the information that you gave me!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:27 AM »
A bit of a shock to the system, inheriting all that lead. If you are planning to weed our collection, which you are wise to do, I think you'll get most cash for the Copplestone and Foundry figs, depending on what they are.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Oh, and I'd be interested to see if you have any Ral Partha traditional monsters (dragons, chimaera, manticore etc) going spare  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »
Hammers
all that lead could be worth its weight in gold. ;D

Certainly, but as with all antiques it takes quite a bit if learning to know what's what.

Aprppos nothing, those early Mithrils and GW are quite worthless, GemGames, but tell you what, I'll take them off yours hands, one problem less for you dontcher know, for 5 quid, and that's cutting me own throat.  ::)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
Hammers,

You're a saint, giving that poor youth some money for his worthless dross. But I feel the need to make reparations for a life of sin so I'll give the guy a tad more. It just seems the right thing to do.

Bezzo, you are too good but it is not your cross to bear. I simply could not let you do that and then face me poor old mother. I'll give you 10, GG, since my heart is bursting with charity today.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
Now you are in it will change your life

Some advice, decide exactly what you want to use in the future before you sell off the old stuff because if you want to find it again it will be hellish! And some of the warhammer stuff could be worht a packet!

I'd be interested in some of the smaller scale deadlands pieces and old citadel (1980s villags etc)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 01:32:07 AM »
Welcome aboard, fellow! Looks like you've got all you need to start knowing where to start. The uniform reference will no doubt come in handy. :)

Depending on your interests in Full Thrust, I might be in the want for a few ships.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline GemGames

• Bookworm
    • Gem Games & Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »
It is so kind of you gents to offer to dispose of all that old lead for me. It's like when my mother-in-law tried to recycle that 2nd Printing D&D wood-grain box set. Worthless junk all!  ;)  Well...I know someone who might want that...just for a laugh.

It has been a bit of a learning experience to try and figure everything out. Fortunately, there was fair amount of minis new in packaging, so that gave me some luck. It is true that the research is the hardest part of this. I have some old catalogues, and some are available online, but not for everything.

Some mini sets have gone for shockingly high amounts--like Classic Traveller minis and those Reaper Doom minis (based on the video game), and plastic GW Epic Warhammer minis. But some things are much harder to offload, like the WarZone and Chronopia minis. Still--I'm not complaining!

I have a question--I will be attending a local historical wargaming convention near Seattle (Enfilade) next weekend, and selling classic minis as a vendor. I've never been to a gaming convention before, much less sold minis at one. If you were looking through sets of old lead at a convention, would you like to see merchandise arranged by manufacturer, scale, era or some combination of those?

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »
minis. But some things are much harder to offload, like the WarZone and Chronopia minis. Still--I'm not complaining!

I have a question--I will be attending a local historical wargaming convention near Seattle (Enfilade) next weekend, and selling classic minis as a vendor. I've never been to a gaming convention before, much less sold minis at one. If you were looking through sets of old lead at a convention, would you like to see merchandise arranged by manufacturer, scale, era or some combination of those?

I'd go for manufacturer first, esp with the older stuff.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
Agreed. Definitely by manufacturer, then either group by range or sculptor.

(but the offer to take the worthless Ral Partha classic monsters off your hands is still open  ;))