Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gary Chalk ship  (Read 7955 times)

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
Gary Chalk ship
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
Hi Guys,
Wonder if you can shed some light on the gary chalk pirate brig.

I have started assembling this model from pdf plans available online.

Having glued deck structure together, I have found, having tried lining up the card side hull pieces that these do not align well at all with the decks.

I am unsure whether its suppose to sit between the base balsa piece and upper deck structures, this seems the best fit, but you would have thought it would have been flush with the base piece for more structural fit.

Looks like I am going to have to make my own better fitting hull sides. Anyone else find this problem?

regards
Scott

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Gary Chalk ship
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
I am not exactly sure I understand where, exactly, your problem lies. As I read your post, the hull sides are too low in that they do not reach up to the top deck if fitted flush to the base?

In that case, did you use the right thickness of spacers? Could there be a problem with printing the templates (i.e. did you choose the right size of paper to print it on, did you print it at 100% from resolution)?

It might be helpful if you could show us a pic or two illustrating the problem.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:39 AM »
I echo Chris's comments, we need a little more info. a picture would help, ... BUT I too have just started a project and have the following kneejerk comments ...

The main plans are supposed to be on A3 paper, not immediately obvious if you just have a file to print. Printing on A4 and using the measurements for spacers in the Text will give you dimension issues.

I found with the sides that once the main card is clued onto the side of the vessel you can use thin strips to "plank" up the side giving a good visual look, strengthening the sides and covering up any issues with the initial side. My mum has done the sides a little like a Viking ship where the panels overlap. It sounds odd, and is not really accurate but works exceptionally well by giving a sort of added texture. I'm planking the outside of mine with thin strips used in model boat building.

I'll post some pictures of my Mum's ship but as I do not live at home any more (well not for the last 24 or so years), I'll only be able to take pictures on Friday when I see her.

"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Flynn

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
I'm currently working the same thing as you- putting sides on a Gary Chalk pirate brig.  The height of the template seems perfect to me (as stated by others, the size you print is both important and non-obvious from the plans).  The length of the side template piece came out slightly short for me, but close enough that it was clearly a reasult of in exact modeling on my part.  I've got some pictures of where I'm at and the problems I'm dealing with therein over on the Workbench section of this site.

If not the printing size, then as another has mentioned above, it must be the size of the spacers.  I found those fiddly as the template has them in a logically laid out measuring system (centimeters), and the balsa board I had bought was nearly the right height- but too high as it was naturally sold in inch increments here, so I ended up doing a lot of measuring and trimming.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:46:43 PM by Flynn »

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
Guys thanks for your replies.

I did initlally make the mistake of printing on A4, but it imply looked too small, then I realised it needed A3, so that sorted the plans.

I have made the ships decks from 4.5mm foamcard (not 4mm balsa as instructed), but this potential incremental diference I could have dealt with.

However what I found was that the if I put the side template flush to 'ground level' it was about 1cm short ot the top level of the front deck, and just reached flush with top level of quarter deck, where I would at least have expected more to account for somekind of 'barrier' to stop crew falling off in sea!

In the end I used the side card template,as a template and added extra height to the quarter deck and foredeck areas. This has fixed the problem, but I thought it odd it needed doing.

And yes I use the 2cm high spacers as instructed...

I've got some pics on my blog of initial deck construction, I'll try and add more now that I have deck sides on .

regards
Scott

www.scottswargaming.blobspot.com

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
Guys, I've updated my blog: http://scottswargaming.blogspot.com/2011/05/pirates-progress.html with pics of ship as promised.

I've got my adapted hull sides and stern in position now. I hope to clad ship with balsa at the weekend.

Cheers
Scott

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
It's looking quite good, and apparently you solved the problem. I'm looking quite forward to see this develop.

Nevertheless, I agree that "1cm short at the foc'sel and flush with the quarterdeck" is much too short, and there must be something awry in the process. As said, I suspect it may be the printing (depending on how well the PDF you printed from, if I understand you correctly, was made) to size or from DPI, which may result in quite some offset.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
Just a thought on printing ... printers are usually set to "fit to page" which can mess up some of the scale.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
As promised ... my Mum's pirate ship. Still needs a couple of things doing. She made a Squid figurehead .... I hate her!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:29:12 AM by Ssendam »

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Ssendam - you have a talented mother! That figurehead is great!

Jusy don't let her name the ship "Squidward Quincy!"

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »
@ssendham - Nice ship.
Not sure about the figurehead though!?

Mine's coming along slowly - got the hull balsa clad over the weekend.
Cheers
Scott

Offline Flynn

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43:27 AM »
I love the detailing!  I wish I could find cardboard like she used on the sides of her ship.  I'm not happy with the matieriels I have been trying out with whcih to do the sides of my ship.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
I'm not sure the picture does the figurehead justice, but as an idea I like it.

Flynn ... If you have cereal in the mornings then I think you may have the right cardboard in your house already! I think she put a full card side on and then the tin strips of planking afterwards.

Offline Flynn

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
That's not what I mean- I've already got ready some cerial-box cardboard.  I can see that's what you have used and what she has used for the very nice planking effect add-on.  I mean that in her version, the thickness of the sides makes it look to me that she's used something else entirely that I can't identify.  It looks really nice.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
Sorry flynn, I was just trying to say that it was just normal card.