Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Soviet Special Rules Suggestions  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Soviet Special Rules Suggestions
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
I am working on the Soviet and Boondockers rules. And though I have the Boondockers mostly worked up (besides their psychic monkey they also have a moonshine rule) I am at a loss for some good Soviet Special Rules. So, since so many of you have been bugging me for them, I thought I would listen to suggestions that you come up with.

So let's have it, what do you think would be some good Soviet special rules?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Soviet Special Rules Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
Some form of combination of radiation and vodka to give special characters a boost perhaps? I hadn't really thought about it to be honest, I usually wait for you to wow me instead.
 :)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
Vodka was an obvious choice, but it seems it would be too similar to the Moonshine rules, hence my dilemma.

Now, some things about the Soviets, they are either pilots of aircraft downed during the initial strikes or insertion teams meant to take out specific targets. These soldiers are stalwart communists and each insertion team would have a commissar. They tend to believe that anything not Soviet is a capitalist ploy.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
If you view the Soviets from the then contemporary American perspective rather than reality, then you can make stereotypes work for them. They might have increased scavenging ability, or able to make simple, yet effective repairs out of baling wire and spit. 'Assault rifle' would be a unique weapon class at that time too. Maybe they could lack individual initiative in some way unless 'motivated', which brings us to brutal NCOs and the Commissar, with the quandary of tactical objective versus political objective. Some form of paranoia might be incorporated too, watching each other for signs of political unreliability, or guarding their personal capitalist views etc and wondering who is the KGB plant in the unit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:45:03 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
They tend to believe that anything not Soviet is a capitalist ploy.

McCarthy-ism turned upside down?  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:03 AM »
You would almost need both types of troops, downed pilots (possible KGB Officer on board) a commissar makes no sense to me on an aircraft.

Hard line specialized types (KGB/Spetsnaz)  with the later, I think a commissar is redundant as most dropped the title for standard officer titles after WWII and completely by the 70's. that and those kinds of troops are died in the wool Communists and need no further prodding.

That and I just don't like commissars, is screams WWII and smacks of that other sci-fi game.

As far as special rules, you could have a possible counter for the "monkey" as Sputnik was launched in 1957, or just as a perk (better radio coms from satellite)

I'm just spit balling at the moment, should have my rule book in a day or two, will give it a read and have a better idea of what I am looking at and have some better ideas.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:36:16 AM by Cultist #3 »
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58:38 AM »
I look at the figures and I think that you need a stereotype commissars/leader wich can motivate his men by a brutal action.
also you need these Inndiana jones 4 soviet girl as a hartless colose combat fighter .
the normal troopers should not be better as the americans but maby they can make a `"Ourrah!"`charge `.
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline DD-Chris

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »
Perhaps the leader takes a motivation test each turn. if passed, each member of his team can act independently. but if failed, he can only give 1 order that the entire team must obey.

Perhaps a RED TIDE bonus, if the soviets  outnumber their enemy they get some bonus.

Comrade resuply - for every friendly that falls in battle, the Russians are +1 for their next resuply test as they strip him of his ammo and gear.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
It's a difficult one and depends how you see the game. It has a very Hollywood flavour to me and personally the Soviets should be falling into the 50s US stereotypes of Soviets rather than the reality. Argonor's comment about McCarthy was spot on, they should fit that image within the game. The tricky bit is to make those stereotypes work for them as a gang that people will want to play, without giving them rules which will make them too good/bad and giving them a flavour of their own.  

The ones in 'Crystal Skull' are a good case in point. The grunts are little different to anyone else, one even displays a desire towards Hot Rod racing at the start and even a stern look from his NCO doesn't stop him (obviously the NCO failed a dice roll).

The Commissar is tricky as he will be almost an expected feature, although I can see how 'the other game' has pretty much ruined the idea of that. However the FDF have their 'Man in Black', so it would be lacking not to have a Soviet equivalent of some form. I like Grimm's idea of a 'brutal action' as a motivator, but I think it would be something a Soviet NCO would resort to.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:24:14 PM by Jim Hale »

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
Good general impressions so far.

So I have:

Political Officer
Commander
People's Army

I am thinking about this for a rule for them.

Chronic Shortage: The Soviet forces were chronically short of necessary materials and so they learned to conserve and ration quickly. If taken as the only force in your gang, the Soviets receive -1 on the Supply rolls however, any resupply they purchase at the beginning or find during the game lasts twice as long.

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
Some great ideas so far but as the Boondockers have their psychic monkey how about letting loose some sort of crazed dancing bear for the Soviets?
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
Maybe one thing is the sleeper-possibility. Once per game the soviets can wake a sleeper in an other team with a roll. Soviets are so evil, mc carthy was right ;)
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
Sleeper Agents! VERY Cold War. I like it!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
It was a hitchcook-movie, I think. In the sixties...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Nice one... the Red Menace lol. Maybe the option to have one member of another gang reveal his true colours or something along those lines perhaps?