Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New WW II game: Victory Decision: World War II  (Read 22035 times)

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
    • Petites figurines pour grandes batailles
Re: New WW II game: Victory Decision: World War II
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
I'm a player of Rules of Engagement and ready to try soon the Disposable Heroes rules, but i'm also allways looking to find the perfect ruleset to rule them all and in the darknesss...ok, you probably understand now. ;)
So :
-What are the main unique characteristics of Victory Decision system who could seduce me opposed to the others rulesets available on the market ?
-What are the flavors who makes this ruleset unique ?

And others questions based on a previous answer from Agis :
-Would the main ruleset be available in the future without the 4 added army lists ?
-Couldn't it be more flexible if the future customer could buy the ruleset and only the nations needed for his games (without paying for the 4 main nations if this player don't use them) ?

As allways, my hand is already reaching my bank card and i just need one word to stop the process or to conclude it. ;)

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
The 4 sample army lists in the main rulebook are just there to give an idea of the type of lists that Agis has planned, they don't detract from the rules at all - from what Agis has mentioned, the system will work exactly as you have described; buy the rulebook, the equipment book for your favourite army and just the army lists that you want - completely customisable!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
The 4 sample army lists in the main rulebook are just there to give an idea of the type of lists that Agis has planned, they don't detract from the rules at all - from what Agis has mentioned, the system will work exactly as you have described; buy the rulebook, the equipment book for your favourite army and just the army lists that you want - completely customisable!
I could not say it better!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
I'm a player of Rules of Engagement and ready to try soon the Disposable Heroes rules, but i'm also allways looking to find the perfect ruleset to rule them all and in the darknesss...ok, you probably understand now. ;)
So :
-What are the main unique characteristics of Victory Decision system who could seduce me opposed to the others rulesets available on the market ?
-What are the flavors who makes this ruleset unique ?

The following Design Notes give some additional info...

Done! After one year of writing, re-writing, testing, re-re-writing and again testing my first complete rule system is finally finished.
Over the last years I have worked on many many wargaming projects; from playtesting to co-authoring to freelance work for other companies - I have done it all. It was always great fun but to write a whole new system with 100% responsibility is a totally different thing.
The decision to try it came after Mongoose pulled their Logo License agreement and decided to no longer print World at War. Over the last three years I published 20 supplements for World at War, there is still more to be done, but somehow the whole system faded from the gaming society more and more.
Time for a completely new start.
So what should a new game system include?
Simple rules
The overall design goal was a game system that was reasonably simple but also encourages and demands constant thinking and decision making. If possible the system should be able not only for World War II gaming but also for other periods.
Interaction
Player interaction was also a key requirement; therefore the Leadership-modified alternating unit activation system which also eliminated the need for a complicated overwatch or reaction system. No long waiting periods in this game!
Leadership
Unit Leadership should also be a very important factor, no unit characteristic is used as often in Victory Decision as the Leadership value! It even affects the way your units can be placed on the gaming table.
Command
I wanted rules that reflect the impact of commanding units on the game. This was the reason why some game mechanics are only accessible when including Command units in your force.
Variable Effectiveness
The effectiveness of any given unit should also be variable during a game; a unit under heavy fire cannot perform as effectively as a unit that has not yet contact with the enemy. The use of Suppression Markers are in my opinion an elegant solution to this design requirement.
Seek Out
Another game aspect that often is neglected but nonetheless vital is the detection of enemy units. Hiding and spotting units is a key strategy in Victory Decision!
“Un-dominating” Vehicles
Another challenge of any World War II game is the Vehicle system. Vehicles can very easily become game dominating during games. Since the game is based on real life units it is also not possible to down tone vehicle abilities too much just to achieve game balance.
I am very confident that the simple reduction of vehicle actions has done a good job of achieving these competing design goals.
Fun gaming
The usual “stress factors” of gaming should be eliminated. In my opinion most arguments during wargames started over unit movements, dice allocating / casualty removable and Line of Sight and / or cover issues.
Therefore the very simple movement rules, just measure the movement distance of the unit leader carefully and arrange the unit afterward within his Leadership distance – which also reflects the ability of better trained troops to be within command over a wider distance quite effortless.
The casualty removal rules also come from this way of thinking. Just let the model owning player decide which models are removed from his unit.

One last thought about Victory Decision: It is a game and NOT a simulation. The overall idea is to have fun and not to simulate any real life situation. That is the reason behind many of the more abstract rules.

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »
Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Really appreciated. I will undoubtly give the rules a try in a not so distant future. ;)

Offline Kieffer

• Bookworm
  • Sky Marshal
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »
Ok, now we are in the future, thirty minutes later and i'm trying to understand wich pages are missing from the printer friendly version (84 pages against the 102 pages of the non printer friendly version).
Could someone give me a hint ?

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:37 AM »
Hint: the printer friendly version has less big, glossy photo's in it - you're not missing any pages, it's just that some of the text is where the photo's are in the non printer friendly photo!  :D

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
Ok, now we are in the future, thirty minutes later and i'm trying to understand wich pages are missing from the printer friendly version (84 pages against the 102 pages of the non printer friendly version).
Could someone give me a hint ?
The printer friendly versions have always the same text - non is missing!
Normally I am just deleting every pic and the background picture. For the rulebook some picture were necessary to explain the rules.
An additional benefit is that you can print the unit description you nee for a given battle and have nearly all relevant data (aka unit and weapon stats) at hand.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »
This sounds all very interesting and I am very much into ww2 gaming. Guess this will be my first rulebook written by you.
Good look for this project.
Björn
, ,

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
This sounds all very interesting and I am very much into ww2 gaming. Guess this will be my first rulebook written by you.
Thanks already and just get it!  ;) ;)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
Agis, this is awesome. I will order at lunch today.

So now how about some future support to add Gear Kreig vehicles (or such) and other WWWII madness to the mix?

Here's to you being prolific.

Congrats.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »
Yes, have to second that request for Gear Krieg and ilk!
No use getting us all excited with 1/56 Gears and then not give them the opportunity to use them in your own rules....  ;)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
GK / weird war:
I am still negotiating with DP9 if I can also produce products for ViDe.
Dp9 would love to, but it all depends on a 3rd party.

Anyway - weird war is definitely coming. Either background specific (like GK) or generic.
But before all that I will release the BIG 4 Field Manuals to give you all the vehicles you need.
Plus a big amount of Small Army lists. 8)

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
I have a couple of questions about the army lists ( :D), firstly - are you intending to do one army list for each arm (armour, infantry, airborne, recce?) for each time period of the war (late, mid, early?), or one army list per arm for the whole war, with period specific choices in it?
Secondly - the heavy support choices for each nationality are going to be virtually identical for each time period of the war - wouldn't it be simpler to have a heavy support list by time period in the Field Manual and the army list itself cover the HQ, combat and light/fast support choices?  :D

Hope I'm not throwing a clog in the gears with this!  :?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
The army list that are going to be published will follow the same format as the 4 included in the rulebook.
Example:
German late War Panzergrenadiere
Late War US Airborne
Early War German Grenadier
etc.

Field Manuals:
The Field Manuals will include in fact almost all Heavy Support and many Light and Fast Support Elements for each Nation.
The one gun and tank that was included in each list of the rulebook were in fact just examples of what will follow.
I will soon show a TOC of the German Field Manual, that will make it clearer.  ::)
So in a way it will be as anticipated by you. As soon as the German Field Manual is released I will on reference the fitting Elements in the small army lists.  8)