Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New WW II game: Victory Decision: World War II  (Read 22017 times)

Offline Foxxxy66

• Student
Re: New WW II game: Victory Decision: World War II
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
Well arguably Epic 40k Armageddon achieves this balance: you have alternate activation  (with option to try and retain initiative) bit also an overwatch option to anticipate enemy maneuvers...court still out for me on this issue. Also uses blast markers just like your suppression rules.

Just mention it for context. No sniping intended. ;)

Cheers
Alex

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:04 AM »
No problem at all!  :)
I was one of the lead playtesters of EPIC Armageddon... 8)
It was great fun to work with one of the BIG GW guys (Jervis Johnson) on this one.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
Well arguably Epic 40k Armageddon achieves this balance: you have alternate activation  (with option to try and retain initiative) bit also an overwatch option to anticipate enemy maneuvers...court still out for me on this issue. Also uses blast markers just like your suppression rules.

Just mention it for context. No sniping intended. ;)

Cheers
Alex

And I do like Epic Armageddon - they really should have used it as a basis for Blitzkrieg and Cold War Commander, not Warmaster! To be fair, WaW uses a very similiar supression system to ViDe as well - a lot of rules systems use a similiar mechanic to represent being supressed.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
And I do like Epic Armageddon - they really should have used it as a basis for Blitzkrieg and Cold War Commander, not Warmaster!
Amen to that one!  ;)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
Downloaded it, started reading and must say...I like. Will definitely play it.

I hope I can convince my fellow players. They are very much into FOW. But being able to use their miniatures might convince them.

The Suppression rules sound familiar.
Makes it easier for me  :)
, ,

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
Downloaded it, started reading and must say...I like. Will definitely play it.
I hope I can convince my fellow players. They are very much into FOW. But being able to use their miniatures might convince them.
Thanks!  :)
I have played a lot of games with FOW based minis, plays like a charm, in fact I like it right now maybe even more...

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
Oh, damn I missed some sales!  ;) ;) :D
If you want to try the rules fast and affordable, go for 20mm!

Don't worry, I have a feeling I'll make it up to you yet...  ;)
And compatible or not, the Gear Krieg supplements are fun to just look at. Very nice conversions you made for them!

Trust me, there are ways to make 20mm not-fast and not-affordable. (My unfinished DAK curses me at night, I can hear them.... o_o)

Offline Beuteldrache

• Schoolboy
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
I still remember when one of my playtesters reported the most sceptical “reaction-missing” players liked the now established system the most after just ONE game…

We were actually shocked to discover the lack of any possibility to react to enemy actions. Even after reading and re-reading the rules we were not convinced (as we were not of the alternate activations too). But after playing the first game all members of our gaming group (around 10 regulars) happily discarded their old rulebooks (WaW) and waited for ViDe to come out!

The mechanics of the initiative rules play very smoothly and offer all kind of tactical thinking. In World at War all you tried to do was to get the enemy squad to react and then you were able to walk circles around them without much to fear (I remember one game in which my allied player was able to get all squads of our opponent to react to him, only to be unable to do anything against the paratroopers dropping all around him. That looked and felt somehow wrong - definitly not possible in ViDe, which is a definitly improvement!)

But what I was trying to say is:

Don´t read the rules, try them out - they´re worth it!

Offline pilgrimnorm

• Schoolboy
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
Thanks!  :)
I have played a lot of games with FOW based minis, plays like a charm, in fact I like it right now maybe even more...

This comment really grabbed my attention.  I downloaded the rules last weekend and was really impressed.  I have a lot of FOW stuff but I am not real big into the rules, and this looked like a fun possibility and a way to use my stuff.  However I have been going back and forth as to whether it is worth the time to individually base the miniatures, assuming that the game (while playable) would be less fun, and this seems to imply maybe not?

A second quick question, have you tried any games playing allies against allies.  My main playing partner (who also happens to be my wife) has a large soviet army while I have a large US force.  Neither of us are very interested in painting Germans, so finding rules outside of FOW that allow us to play against each other has been challenging.

I really do wish you all the best with this ruleset.  The mechanics look great and we can not wait to try a game this weekend.

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 02:17:14 AM »
A second quick question, have you tried any games playing allies against allies.  My main playing partner (who also happens to be my wife) has a large soviet army while I have a large US force.  Neither of us are very interested in painting Germans, so finding rules outside of FOW that allow us to play against each other has been challenging.

Perhaps you can persuade Agis to do a 1946 "What if?" book? Rather than "What if Germany had managed to keep fighting?", it could be "What if the Allies carried through with Operation Unthinkable?" You could have 1945-46 US, British and Wehrmacht as allies going in against the Soviet army in eastern germany!

Offline pilgrimnorm

• Schoolboy
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 03:37:11 AM »
Perhaps you can persuade Agis to do a 1946 "What if?" book? Rather than "What if Germany had managed to keep fighting?", it could be "What if the Allies carried through with Operation Unthinkable?" You could have 1945-46 US, British and Wehrmacht as allies going in against the Soviet army in eastern germany!

That would be so cool.  I have searched for rules/scenario books that went that direction and have not found any. 

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
This comment really grabbed my attention.  I downloaded the rules last weekend and was really impressed.  I have a lot of FOW stuff but I am not real big into the rules, and this looked like a fun possibility and a way to use my stuff.  However I have been going back and forth as to whether it is worth the time to individually base the miniatures, assuming that the game (while playable) would be less fun, and this seems to imply maybe not?

I have played at least as much individually mini based  games as Infantry Stand games. One of my playtest buddies actually did not even want to play individually based games at all.
Both versions have their merits, individually based minis look a bit cooler but also need a bit more time.
Infantry Stands look sometimes a bit cramped but are so easy to more around, in addition the weapon ranges in inches look more realistic.
Try both!

@allies against allies: No problem at all. Since I have provided points, just play them, it will work!

@1946 Red Tide: Definitely a very interesting idea, IS-3 vs Pershings etc.
I have read a novel about this scenario, it was very interesting.

Unfortunately a supplement like this might take a while, too many things to do…

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
Don´t read the rules, try them out - they´re worth it!
That should be the new MANTRA!!!  ;)
BTW: Beuteldrache was the "Headplaytester"! Invaluable help to me and overall nice guy...  8)

Offline Last Chancer

• Bookworm
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2011, 05:20:03 AM »
Any chance on expanding into early war and/or the pacific theater?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
Any chance on expanding into early war and/or the pacific theater?
Absolutely YES!  8)
The Technical Manuals will cover guns and vehicles from 1939 to 45.
In addition I have already prepared 3 files for late war Pacific...