Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690810
  • Total Topics: 118352
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Normandy - a Short Review  (Read 11016 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Kampfgruppe Normandy - a Short Review
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
Firstly, where am I coming from on this. I dont play any current GW games and I never really liked WAB. I have however looked forward to this game for along time and approached it with an open mind...

The first thing that strikes you about KG Normandy (KGN) is the sheer size and quality of the rulebook.  It is a massive large format book, with 346 full colour glossy pages. The book is crammed full of stuff, and illustrated with a host of period and miniature pictures. By looks alone this book is easily up there with the best of the rest. There isnt alot else to say on this score other then it features almost all of Dave Andrews wonderful 20mm collection in alot of the pictures. So on looks, it scores very high.

But what about substance.

The rules themselves take up the first 69 pages. Im sure that will lead to gasps of horror from some Grognards, but to me thats a bonus. The rules and clearly and concisely written, explained in short, easy to read paragraphs and often followed directly by examples. This has to be one of the easiest to follow rulebooks I have read. We were able to play a game simply by running through the QRS and referencing the rules. The index works well, and their is an obvious and natural order to the rules that makes finding things intuitive. From the point of view of comprehension, again these rules score high.

The style of play, is perhaps best described as 'Old Skool' with a few new touches... and it does it very well. The game is set at a nominal 1 to 1 ration, with battles played at 'platoon', 'company' or 'battalion' level, but generally governed by a total points limit. The larger the points value of an army, the larger the table required. To give an example, a 'platoon' action of 250 points is played on a 6 x 4 game. As armies get larger, so does the table. This format is very user friendly and gamers new to the period can play larger games as they increase their armies.

Next we have a command and control phase. Its simply done, a roll of x number of d6 dependant of the size of the army and the number of command elements added. This gives you the number of units you can 'activate' in a turn. Simple and fast. But as always, things can expand on this. German signal units allow a commander to re-roll the dice throw for example. I must say I really enjoyed this mechanism and its a nice middle balance between total control of Rapid Fire, and the lack of control in Blitzkrieg Commander. It works really well. Again its simple, fast and intuitive.

From this we come to the shooting. Everytime you fire you have to spot your target, once again its a simple procedure but well thought out. Then you try and hit your target, followed by penetration if firing at armour. Infantry then get cover saves to avoid becoming a casualty. With armour, its fast and deadly. Penetrating hits almost always lead to a tank being knocked-out from the battle. Its sounds brutal, but it actually isnt and plays out really well. But watch out... Vehicle have a limited supply of ammo, so make sure you bring those supply trucks for long drawn out fights!

There are also some excellent indirect fire rules, where your OPs actually drop in ranging rounds before getting the guns to fire on target. Its very nicely modelled with both players involved in the process, which is a nice touch keeping both involved. I must say that this, and the Suppression rules, are what have impressed me the most.

Suppression allows you to pin down an enemy force by weight of fire into a location. This is unobserved fire, and if successful suppresses a unit until it is 'rallied'.

Morale works in two ways. First the usual rolls when losses reach a certain point, but also the drawing of morale chits due to certain things - destroyed vehicles, lost objectives etc. These chits are numbered, and you score a tally against your armies breakpoint. The nice touch is your opponent doesnt know your score, so you never really know how bad off an enemy is. In with these chits are a number of optional event chits that give mechanical breakdown, out of ammo and aircraft support to throw at your enemy. Again a simple, yet really well thought out system. I really liked this and it plays so well.

Thats the basics to the rules. I must say I really enjoyed playing them. The game is fast and fun, without the player having total control and uncertainty clouds your every move. You have to carefully plan your attacks.

The main body of the rules is taken up with a historiography of the Normandy campaign, army lists, scenarios to play and two campaigns. Each is done from a US and a British viewpoint. Some people have moaned that its 'only Normandy'. Yer, well wake up and look at most WW2 rulebooks - They all generally are! Its a perfect setting to get a maximum amount of late-war data to players for the three most popular armies. All rulebooks tend to focus on this period, so to castigate the rules on that point is a little erroneous. But I couldnt care less anyway - Normandy is my favourite setting for WW2 games.

The background history is well done. Players new to the period will find they have a useful resource with uniform guides and no real need to by anything else on the period. Having spoken to two people new to the period, both agreed this was a massive boon to a new comer. Finally we have a WW2 rulebook that is a complete package... a typical GW style product. That in my view is very worthwhile, and it will encourge new players.

The Army lists are also cleverly done. One cant help but pick a balanced list and the tank lovers will find their all tank armies easily broken due to a lack of morale points. The whole army design process is done to promote combined, balanced armies. You could of course use historical formations (as done in several of the scenarios) but for planning a game down the club, nothing beats having a points system to fall back on for ease of getting a game together. You can play without them, Rapid Fire lists would work perfectly, but I must admit to being rather taken with the army lists. My one gripe... Is there is no British Airborne list.

So overall, is it worth £48? Thats really the question people want answered. I can only give you my view and thats a resounding YES.I will be playing alot more of KGN...

Pictures from last nights game. More indepth analysis after the next game...

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Kampfgruppe Normandy - a Short Review
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »
Thx for the review sofar Piers. Looking forward to the indepth one  :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
Thanks for the review, somehow I did not hear of this book before... :(
Looks very professional.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
I've got a lot of Osprey Books, I've played WW2 games for a few years and I think I know a little bit about the period - to my mind, I'd rather have the first 69 pages of rules and leave the rest. I have no doubt that new players to WW2 will have a great time with the source material, and that's a fantastic way to bring new players into the period. However - I still feel I'm being penalised for not needing the source material - I just don't have the money to buy 279 pages of a book that I'll never read - please release a "rules only" version!  >:(

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »
So you dont want the scenarios, vehicle charts, campaigns or Army lists then.  :D

Thats another 100 or so pages... You will find it hard to play without it.

Well, I lectured on Normandy during my time and I have a small library on the period. I still find it rather nice to read the 'daily' history they have put in. They have also used some very good period pictures.

I cant see why they would do just rules, all GW products are aimed as a one stop shop, just look at the old WAB that had various extras in the rules.

The point is the rules maybe 69 pages but all the vehicle data, weapon charts, army lists and scenario/campaign details aint. So even if you took the historiography out, you would be left with a sizeable book. I cant see it being that much cheaper to be honest. This book is twice the size of 'Hail Caeser' (my other favourite book) and they retail for £30. If you look at from that viewpoint, its good value.

It is a hefty price for a book, but I have paid that before for books. My book on 21st Panzer cost me £80 (has lots of pictures though). To be honest I dont mind paying for books. It will last me a lifetime. If I play it for as long as I played Rapid Fire 15+ years, thats a pretty ok investment...

But only you can decide what is too much for you. Its a personal choice. I wanted it, and I was willing to pay that much for it (knowing if I didnt like it I could return it for a full refund). I love the way the game plays, so to me its worth it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:37:44 PM by V »

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
I've got a lot of Osprey Books, I've played WW2 games for a few years and I think I know a little bit about the period - to my mind, I'd rather have the first 69 pages of rules and leave the rest. I have no doubt that new players to WW2 will have a great time with the source material, and that's a fantastic way to bring new players into the period. However - I still feel I'm being penalised for not needing the source material - I just don't have the money to buy 279 pages of a book that I'll never read - please release a "rules only" version!  >:(
My thoughts exactly. It might be a fun set, but I simply can't afford it. Would a 100-page basic ruleset with some Orders of Battle be so tough to produce?
Nice photos, by the way.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Rick

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
Thank you V - your second post had a lot of detail that was missing from your first post. As amended, I can see why I might want a lot more of the book now - even if just for the scenarios and other essentials. But (and this is a big but) - it loses out to it's competitors with that hefty price tag. I've already been priced out of Warhammer and 40K because my income doesn't support that level of commitment, so I guess I'm going to have to pass on this too.

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
It is pricey.

I never thought I would spend that much. However I was lucky to be able to after selling some figures. But I would have bought it anyway out of curiosity!  ::)

I guess Im lucky as I see this system getting played alot at my club.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
Having held it for real now and reading it, I know I'll be getting the book. 48 Pounds is a great deal of money, so it will mean getting less lead/resin this month. Not really a problem for me (for most if not all gamers), cause I have enough in stock for years to come. And I don't think you lot are any different  lol

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
I just wish Agis had come out with his before I shelled out 50 quid as I know which one I will be playing and it isn't the 50 quid set :(

Its all relative - play them a lot an its worth the money. In my case they will sit on the shelf and not be worth it while I play VDWWII and Flying Lead and NUTS ...
Rich J

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
Horses for courses.

I will be playing it...  :D

But then I wouldnt play WaW or Nuts if my life depended on it...  ;D ;)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:24 AM »
I just wish Agis had come out with his before I shelled out 50 quid as I know which one I will be playing and it isn't the 50 quid set :(
Its all relative - play them a lot an its worth the money. In my case they will sit on the shelf and not be worth it while I play VDWWII and Flying Lead and NUTS ...
LOL, thanks Rich!  8)
Funny thing is that I was approached years ago by GW to be involved in an upcoming WWII game. A small private Yhaoo group was established, but then nothing happened and it just faded away and I lost track. I was totally surprised to see a GW game on WW II!
In between I developed WaW for Mongoose and the last year my own system – which is by the way in some parts based on WaW but plays completely different!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
But then I wouldnt play WaW or Nuts if my life depended on it...  ;D ;)
Good point! Try Victory Decision: World War II!!!
 8)  :D

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
I must say it is way different from waw (VicDec that is). Between it at platoon level and force on force for bigger stuff I am 50 quid richer (well nearly after I sellmy copy of kamp). Considering the cost of publishing now I still consider 50 quid for a set of rules ridiculous but maybe it's me. For the money I wanted more than a simple set that lets me play with a platoon to battalion without realy changing the rules.  They are good, they are simple and fast   But so are lots of others ...
Besides shouldn't you be working on WWII for FoF instead of playing these. We are all waiting you know.  :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:49:36 AM by Rich J »

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
Rich,

LOL!

How did you know I was working on that? Your spy cameras working again??? Will shoot you some stuff when I have a bit more done, but it will be a long while yet...

To be honest, I see KG Normandy aimed at the Rapid Fire gamer. Thats where I see it competing.

Price is too personal a thing to argue about really, everyone makes their own choice.

I will give ye £30 for your copy!  :D

Agis,

May well pick yours up, if only for the pictures! Im a sucker for pictures...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:33:30 PM by V »