Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 381028 times)

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya - Tupi dugout #2
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Another thing I managed to do today is another dugout.

I don't think I ever did a WIP on the last one so here it comes.

The materials used are:

1. aluminium mesh
2. Das-Pronto paper mash clay
3. magnetic rubber sheet
4. steel tin plate

The aluminium mesh is to give the canoe a basic form. The Das-Pronto is used to give the the canoe a wood like volume and sandable surface. The magnetic rubber I glued to the bottom of the canoe so that the steel washer bases of the mini will stand firm in it. The tin bottom was added because I noticed that the mesh-paper mash construction wasn't rigid enough for handling by brutish wargamers.

The basic shape comes together quite quickly by forming the mesh. The mesh gives the paper mash a good hold to.

The paper clay is spread evenly all over the mesh, except the steel bottom and the magnetic rubber.

The mash is smoothed with water and, when dry, sanded to shape. It can be completed this far within 30 minutes.

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »
Whoop!

I recieved the windows, or portholes, rather, from Tichy Train in the US today. Commendable speed of delivery, got them within a week. I can now proceed with the bulkhead constructions of the Cacafuego. These are HO scale,really, but they will work for my purposes.

The people at Tichy Train must have done some product development since last I ordered these. Now the come with glass and masks for painting.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #302 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
Looking good Comrade Peder, really good. I am, like everyone else I suppose, really looking forward to seeing this in all its glory, but, I am patient, and will be savouring it as a good Cuaba on a weekend evening.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya - barge completed, not painted
« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
Here it is:

In reality it probably should be about twice as long but that makes it too big for my purposes.
Card over cardboard so materials are close to free, the only expense laid down is glue and a little bit of styrene for railings and bollards. The ring in front is for the towing cable, the small rings are for tyre bumpers or fastening cargo. It can't be seen very well in this image but there  are hundreds of rivets stamped into the card with a hollow tip tool.

A closeup where the rivets may bee seen a little clearer. I'll just add  a bit of baking soda over super glue in places where the barge is heavily rusted and crusted. After that its time for painting. The motor is just there to show that if I want to change the vessel from a towed barge to a motor barge i could just place the engine  in the hold.

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya - 2nd dugout ready
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2011, 11:00:53 PM »

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
How many canoe's will be needed for your game?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #306 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »
Really lie that barge and the idea of using baking soda as rust is brilliant  8) :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »
How many canoe's will be needed for your game?

Just the two, unless play testing tells me differently. The plan is to only have warriors with clubs in the canoes while archers and other users of missile weapon deploy on the river banks and islands.

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya- Progress on the Cacafuego
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
A bit of detailing on the lower deck cabin. The tubing is solder wire, the fire axe is brass wire and solder scratch, the watertank is from an ESCI 1/35 styrene kit with solder wire hose.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:58:29 PM by Hammers »

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #309 on: November 20, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
Those of you who have previously been following this thread must have thought I had given up on the project. I did run in to several difficulties as I completely rebuilt the hull of the Cacafuego but I have actually been at it continuously since my last post about two months ago. I have come to realize, with LAFers being treated to all the wonders of the wargaming world on a daily basis, slow progress photos won't keep people interested so I have opted for her being completed before I posted anything new.

She is now completed...

...although I just now realized I have forgotten to make a Paquadorian navy flag for her.

It is a bit problematic shooting big objects like (she measures 450mm LOA, 150 across the beam, and 200 above the waterline) this because one has to deviate from ones normal light set up. In this case there is an evil glare from the main source on the bridge which I could not edit away.

She breaks up in several parts and there are several optional and removable parts on here, like deckgun, machine guns, cargo, searchlight.

The linoleum is a piece of a much larger roll I will use for the river water. It is not perfect but it works, I think. The jungle is just something I clobbered together for the  photo. I have yet to make the proper terrain pieces.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:48:15 AM by Hammers »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
Outstanding! I can almost feel the heat and humidity at dusk,sipping on some sort of rum concocation; whilst the river rolls past........ :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
bravo, Peder! she is a beaty, I would love to travel on it!

Some close-ups would be great  :)

P.S: Actually progress photos would keep me interested.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
Fabulous work! Fitzcarraldo with firepower.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
Thank you.

A close up on the bridge.

It's flanked by two (removable) Maxim guns. Behind he grimy windows the master, Señor Rabanne, can be seen by the wheel.

A view trying to capture the open engine pit, a paddle wheel and some rust-'n-peel work.

The idea is that the Cacafuego is old and has suffered much neglect in the  hands of the Federal river police. To achieve this I superglued bicarbonate powder in strategic places to simulate heavy rust.The entire vessel was b-c:ed in black gesso and oversprayed with two shades of terracotta imitation (see previous post). Wood parts was given a coat of dark brown and grey. Maskol was applied in spots and streaks. It is a bit difficult to see where these would naturally so reference photos are essential. The various parts were then sprayed with light and a light coat of white. When dry, everything was given a wash of water with a drop of flow release and then brown-black ink was made to run into cracks, grooves etc. Excesses was gently wiped off. When everything was dry the Maskol (not always easy to find beneith the paint), revealing the rust.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:48:00 AM by Hammers »

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
A detail shot of the upper deck, and the stowage on the roof of the upper cabins.

It's all plasticard and Tichy Train styrene windows. The handrails are to tall, really, reaching the armpits of the your average Pulp Figure. It's a comprise which had to be  made because I wanted to use some brass Graupner handrail poles. The poles are connected with brass wire and fine chain. Everything is soldered together to get a good solid bond.

The ventilator on the cabin roof is a also Graupner, by the way.