Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 380089 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:31 AM »
Just wonderful Peder.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #331 on: November 21, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments. This model was a bit of a head ache. I went about it the wrong way and had to go back and rethink and rebuild stuff a few times. Exploratory model building (i.e. making it up as you go along) doesn't work for me. I need spend time on plans and sketches next time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:20:02 PM by Hammers »

Offline Frank

• LPL Champion (S5,S8) Bronze Medalist (S6)
  • Mad Scientist
    • My TableTop Blog
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
This steamer is really fantastic! …and really a big one! I love the rotten look and the beautiful details.  :-* :-* :-*

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
Superb work, wonderful stuff ;D :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
How have I managed to miss this thread so far :o stunning modelling and painting skills all round..and where are the wee chaps with the blow pipes form?

Love the Tupi too :-*

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
I could do with some input on how to design the Paquadorian flag. Many Latin American countries have quite impressive such, often emblazon with the national coat of arms. I'd like use that and make something fun out of it for the Federales Naval de Paquador, Distrito Arumbaya.

Take the Mexican flag, for example...

...an eagle snacking on a rattle. Pretty balsy, I think. The Argentinian one, one the other hand... well, the flag is nice and friendly...

...and the Coat of Arms even more so...

It looks like Santa Claus is taking a break from raking leaves and is being congratulated on a job well done.

So, what heraldry would would do justice to the glorious republic of Paquador and its President-for-Life Don Carlos Marighela de Poste y Restante? A winged armadillo? A howling monkey rampant regardant trampling a gecko?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:29:59 PM by Hammers »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
I think this has to be the central emblam of any South american flag myself

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
I think this has to be the central emblam of any South american flag myself

lol Not bad...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
Found this..you sure you made the name up :o

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24402&stc=1&d=1244733028

Never claimed I did, quite the opposite if you check previous posts. It's from a Harry & Paul skit where the Paquadorian national football team meets the English but start by sings their national anthem for the first  half the game just to beat the English 13 to 12 in the second.  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:55:30 PM by Hammers »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
Never claimed I did, quite the opposite if you check precious posts. It's from a Harry & Paul skit where the Paquadorian national football team meets the English but start by sings their national anthem for the first  half the game just to beat the English 13 to 12 in the second.  :D

My bad lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
Hmm. I'm touched by the homage old boy.

Now.... flags? You know I'd be tempted just to lift the Paraguayan flag, it's virtually a fictional country as it stands today. Given the main, perhaps only, industry Paraguay is known for is illicit and fake goods, I'd modify the central emblem by substituting a Rolex and perhaps add a suitable motto like 'DKNY Gucci Sanyo'

Now if you want a fertile source of weird and wonderful flags, look no further than Brazil's various state flags. Acre and Rondônia might suit and they probably aren't a million miles from your fictional setting. Personally 'm fond of the Pernambuco flag. Every Pride Parade should feature one. Well every Pride parade that's endorsed by the church that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_Brazilian_states

Armadillos? Nah. Want a heraldic beast then you want the giant sloth. Native to those parts and it just screams laid back. It's not coincidental that the Portuguese name for the sloth is preguiça or lazy.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
Hmm. I'm touched by the homage old boy.

Now.... flags? You know I'd be tempted just to lift the Paraguayan flag, it's virtually a fictional country as it stands today. Given the main, perhaps only, industry Paraguay is known for is illicit and fake goods, I'd modify the central emblem by substituting a Rolex and perhaps add a suitable motto like 'DKNY Gucci Sanyo'

Now if you want a fertile source of weird and wonderful flags, look no further than Brazil's various state flags. Acre and Rondônia might suit and they probably aren't a million miles from your fictional setting. Personally 'm fond of the Pernambuco flag. Every Pride Parade should feature one. Well every Pride parade that's endorsed by the church that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_Brazilian_states

Armadillos? Nah. Want a heraldic beast then you want the giant sloth. Native to those parts and it just screams laid back. It's not coincidental that the Portuguese name for the sloth is preguiça or lazy.

A sloth! That's it! A sloth d'or couchant dormant inverte, under a branch of laurel. Perfect! What's 'Don't disturb.' in latin?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:59:05 AM by Hammers »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
Priceless description of the Argentine coat of arms btw. I had a good long chuckle over that.  lol

Contrary to what one might expect Argentinos aren't renowned for a well developed sense of humour, save maybe for their choices in football managers, so you might want to be careful repeating that in front of them. Then again perhaps the collective Argentine sense of irony is so deep and opaque that it's beyond the powers of gringo understanding. The Argentine economy and their national politics do seem to be informed by some sort of post-modernist, self knowing sense of irony.  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2011, 03:42:07 PM »
Noli perturbare it shall be. I think it is quite funny.