Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 380113 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
Gentle heat applied and then perhaps 'combing' them  ???

Dunno, with them being quite thin, any heat applied might make them curl.

Well, I don't need any reed 'froes. :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
I used the same stuff as tambookie grass on my Zulu board...you just have to give it a couple of thin washes over with some matt paint blended with a bit of PVA, and that removes the shine and adds a bit of much needed variegation  ;)

To whit:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:19:57 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya -pic heavy update: Riverbanks
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
Based on some online pictures I have  collected the last few months I have started some exploratory making of river bank scenery pieces. Here are a few of the photos...

To be followed promptly...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:57:49 AM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya - evenmore pic heavy update: Riverbanks
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »
Based on the above photos I have started a pilot project on how to make the riverbanks of the CRotA gameboard. With a baseboard measuring 200 by 300 cms I reckon I will need a few. If I make the in lengths of 50 cm I will need 12 pieces.

The plan is to make them a proper impenetrable mess, thus framing the game board like an arena open at both ends. I have been sort of apprehensive about the whole things as trees and forests are not easy to make, IMO. But head first, here I go:

I've decided to keep the banks fairly narrow, partly to save myself some work and material but also because not much game play will be taking place on the banks. The pieces will therefore be 50 cm long and 10 cms wide at the ends. The ends will be uniformly so to make them fit each other. I am going to use 6mm MDF but since I did not have any at home this 'pilot piece' is plywood of  the same thickness.

The riverside side has been cut to create curved shapes formed by the river current. The bank was sanded down to create a slope down towards the river.

I drilled holes into the board and plugged twigs of dried elder tree into them. These will be the trunks of taller jungle trees which will give the vertical lines of the jungle outline.

Using the vertical trunks I woven a plenitude of whatever sprawling twigs I've been able to secure around the neighborhood. Ideally this would be branches and roots of heather, blueberry, or juniper since they ing a certain flexibility even when dry. I have used this a lot before but while readily available all over the rest of Sweden they are in short supply here on Gotland. I've had to do with all sort of things I've come across on strolls. The twigs have been fastened in places with brown florist wire.

The hand in the picture is that of my Director of Quality Control; Fivers, Son of Hammers, who, using his lime green Soux-indian crash test dummy 'Stealthy Wind' ("Smygande Fisen") has assured that the construct holds to his rigorous play testing standards. Mr Fivers is a great supporter of this project, even more so than Bezzo. :)

I got this spray gun from Clas Ohlsson quite cheaply (about €20)...

which I've put to use to achieve this:

The paint is Alcro wall paint of a shade called 'Asfalt'. I realized to my delight that these pots can be mixed and bought in 'trial' quantities which really suit my needs and wallet. Half a liter cost about €5 and the range of shades if endless. The most matte they have is pearl matte which suit me find since we are going for a muddy rain forest. The whole piece is sprayed uniformly with 'Asfalt' which is sort of a dark green umber colour.

A second lighter pass with the spray gun of another, lighter ready mixed wall paint colour called 'Troll' (somewhere between olive and light mud brown). It is important to not cover all of the darker layer but keep it to the vegetation and the rivers edge. Finally, using my air brush, not the spray gun, I applied a light dusting of tan gray (Vallejo Air 'Hemp' and  'Barley' mix) to the trees and outer branches only. The pieces came out looking like this.

Finally I bound and hotglued various plastic plants to the piece. This bits have been collected during the last six months and I have a big carrying bag of mixed items.

Putting a few other gaming items in place it looks like this.

Acceptable result I think but I think I will try a few more things.

First I will put a back drop of contoured painted cardboard behind the river bank pieces. I think this will make the jungle look deeper, more impenetrable and darker. Also, I think it will make the board look more like a fenced off arena.

Second I will try to collect better twigs for under vegetation next time I go to the mainland. Making twelve pieces I need a good supply of the right stuff to minimize work. Looking at the inspirational photos I realize I want the undergrowth to look even denser.

Third I will experiment a bit with placement and composition of the plastic plants. I think there's room for improvement there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:38:54 PM by Hammers »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
There is always room for improvement but this first shot is excellent work.
, ,

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
That looks incredibly good and I have seen those riverbanks or something very like them in real life. I particularly like the fact that you've picked up that the colour of the vegetation isn't quite uniform. Depending on season and the trees in question you occasionally get flashes of colour that stand out against the wall of green.

This thread really is the gift that keeps on giving, it's really inspiring stuff Pedr. Please keep it going.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
Well, thank you. Let me return the curtsey by telling you all that your continued interest and appreciation is one of the things which keeps me going.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:21:06 PM by Hammers »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
I still have to wait till tonight to see the pics. Damn firewall, now it blocks your adventuring site, too.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
Really, really impressive.

Perhaps a mottled dark background would help give that feeling of density?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
Really, really impressive.

Perhaps a mottled dark background would help give that feeling of density?

That's what I am thinking. I could paint one by hand, colour copy it and then paste it on boards.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
Moss stringers hanging from the tree branches? Or vines hanging here and there?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
Moss stringers hanging from the tree branches? Or vines hanging here and there?

Moss stringers are not a very Amazonian thing, are they? That's more temperate and high altitude rainforests isn't it?

There are some vines already but I guess you can't have enough. I have yet to find a satisfying material for it. Green paper twine would probably work.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
Loving the river edges so far :-* :-* :-*
Can you not buy a background in pet shops that may save you some work.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »
Amazing, Peder, truly eye candy.

I'm sure I have said it already but again, I love the way you're doing and sharing your projects.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »
This is a truly wonderful thread that just gets better and better.  :-*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:19:32 AM by aggro84 »